First BC - Jacket or Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepbluetech:
That happens, but mostly because you didn't get it right before you hit the water.

Agreed. When it's happened to me (twice), I let the DM change my tank. I know, I should have done it or checked myself.

I've had the tank-slipping thing myself during a pool playtime. The DM approached me after I got out to point out the tank being quite loose. He had been watching it slip lower and lower as I went....

Since then, I have always done my level best to "try to break the buckles" when tightening the straps. Since I'm a tiny person, the only way I'd actually manage to bend a buckle would be if someone else helped.

ew1usnr:
wings are great for maintaing a horizontal face down position, but they are unstable when you roll over to your back and then back to face down. There is a lot of air shift. The stab jacket holds the air close to the body and flows with the diver as he turns. I'm not talking from theory, but from actual use.

You're overweighted :wink:

Boogie711 wrote --JRiderski - do pray tell what the advantage of "one less hose" is???? I never understood that argument. My stock response is to take an ammo belt and fill it with spare airs - now you have a zero hose configuration.

Well Boogie 711, as you know, you can't fill an ammo belt with spare air. A full ammo belt will make you sink like a grenade in water. The air source has a dual purpose and one of them being LIFE SUPPORT while underwater. One less hose to deal with, get snagged, etc. Oh, I did mention MY BC is Air Integrated. That means a hose gets connected to my BC from my first stage.
I hope that I enlightened you on the difference between the two. Also, incase you have not figured it out, zero hose configuration will not let you breath underwater and praying will not help either.

Your welcome in advance.

ronrosa:
Agreed. When it's happened to me (twice), I let the DM change my tank. I know, I should have done it or checked myself.

Hehe...I hop Seajay doesn't see that comment. He loves DM's.

Seriously though why would anyone but you change your own gear out? I couldn't imagine trusting my life to anyone but me.

Also why would a loose cam strap make it through a pre-dive check?

jonnythan:
You're overweighted :wink:

I think that this is an off the cuff remark made in order avoid admitting that a wings BC could actually have an inherent limitation. Any discussion of the function of a BC has to assume that it will have some air in it. And if there is air in a wings BC, it is not the optimum configuration with which to do 360-degree rolls. That is not to saying that it can't be done, but that it is easier with a Scubapro stab-jacket. The stab-jacket was designed to allow a 360-degree roll in any direction and wings are not. Wings provide stability at the expense of maneuverability.

ew1usnr:
I think that this is an off the cuff remark made in order avoid admitting that a wings BC could actually have an inherent limitation. Any discussion of the function of a BC has to assume that it will have some air in it. And if there is air in a wings BC, it is not the optimum configuration with which to do 360-degree rolls. That is not to saying that it can't be done, but that it is easier with a Scubapro stab-jacket. The stab-jacket was designed to allow a 360-degree roll in any direction and wings are not. Wings provide stability at the expense of maneuverability.

This is bull. If you're properly weighted you should have about 5 pounds of air in the BC at the start of the dive and none at the end. If that's the case, there's hardly any air in the wing. You should try it, it's a very nice feeling and will change everything you think about buoyancy control.

jonnythan:
This is bull. If you're properly weighted you should have about 5 pounds of air in the BC at the start of the dive and none at the end.

So, at the start of the dive you have 5 pounds of air shifting around. It's still easier to roll in a stab jacket.

Your reasoning is that if the wings BC has no air in it then it does not impede a roll. This is true.

ew1usnr:
So, at the start of the dive you have 5 pounds of air shifting around. It's still easier to roll in a stab jacket.
I concur. Like ew1usnr, I dive both (but more often than not the Halcyon wing, actually). I don't agree that all newbies are better off with wings from the start. At all.

But hey, what does it matter? The best advice has already been given, and that's for Drew to actually try both types of BC before he buys one. I.e. to do his OW course first, and then go buy the gear ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom