First BC - Jacket or Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins wake:
I concur. Like ew1usnr, I dive both (but more often than not the Halcyon wing, actually). I don't agree that all newbies are better off with wings from the start. At all.

I've got a bunch of different types of BC's. They are CHEAP off ebay. I've got a mae west, a horse collar with manual inflation, another with an auto inflator, a stab jacket, a "wrap around" jacket, two different single tank wings and a backplate and wings for my doubles. Not to mention my AUTOMATIC Dacor Nautilus BC. It's fun to try them all out. Each type has its advantages and disadvantages. Wings are not necessarily the "be all, end all" of BC's.

It's funny. One guy said that I was "trying to justify my less than optimum equipment selection". Well, most of my stuff probably IS less than optimum. But I still have fun diving with it.

At the start of this thread, the guy said that he was getting a wing and his wife would have a jacket. I thought that that was a good arrangement because they could trade gear and take turns trying out each type. Over time they will develop a preference for the type they like the best. They may not each develop the same preference.

My best suggestion is to take your time in making purchases. Do a search here for everything you are going to buy. Don't be afraid to check out online stores such as www.leisurepro.com and www.diversdiscount.com . I am a new diver and on a limited budget, so far I have bought two of everything because as I learned more, my idea of what was best for me changed. I've bought two snorkels two sets of fins, replaced my bc w/ bp/wings ad nauseum. at www.gue.com they sell a book entitled DIR fundamentals; I suggest reading it even if you have no desire to go beyong shallow reef diving. read as much as you can and if given the oppurtunity, try stuff. Remember that there are a different set of rules (like gravity) topside then there is underwater. You don't need some bulky/bouyant back support pad on your bc underwater. You also do not need a "dry" snorkel while on scuba. Take your lds' opinion with a grain of salt then come here and find the real answers.

Now that I have a backplate and wings setup I don't want to ever dive anything else. It can grow as my skills/ desires progress. It's streamlined and helps me obtain perfect trim. It's tight, not floppy- it can be adjusted to fit practically anybody. It's simple and it's reliable.

Tony.

d33ps1x:
Hehe...I hop Seajay doesn't see that comment. He loves DM's.

Seriously though why would anyone but you change your own gear out? I couldn't imagine trusting my life to anyone but me.

Also why would a loose cam strap make it through a pre-dive check?

Like I said, I should have changed the tank or checked the strap myself. My pre-dive check included everything except, quess what ? the tank strap.

That being said, how is having someone else change your tank putting your life in danger ? Not trying to be confrontational, but I can't see anything life threatening and any mistakes or problems can be easily corrected.

d33ps1x:
Hehe...I hop Seajay doesn't see that comment. He loves DM's.
*Ahem.*

I never said that I loved DM's - or hated them. :biggrin2:

But you can betchoass that they ain't touchin' my life support. And it'll be a cold day in the Devil's lair when I PAY one to come on board and touch my life support.

Of course, your opinion may differ... But I suggest that if you feel you need a DM, you instead spend your money in class, gaining the skills for yourself.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular - and yes, people have already told me that my attitude is arrogant. Sorry if it comes across that way - I'm simply allergic to trusting random individuals with my life.

The last time I was on a boat, I tipped the DM to NOT touch my gear. :biggrin:

RE: The argument about bp/wings vs. the ScubaPro Stab jacket... I agree with e1... The ScubaPro Classic Plus is also one of my favorites... Although I still prefer a correctly weighted bp/wing (with only the necessary weight in it). I can think of some other really good BC's too, and I personally don't believe that diving them is going to get you killed, like I hear people spouting.

But e1's got a very interesting point about "bubble" placement and it's resulting shift in center of buoyancy. I personally believe that the best way to deal with this is to minimize the size of the bubble (and therefore the force it creates) while minimizing how far it can move from my center of gravity. However, an interesting alternative is to simply allow the bubble to move anywhere it wants, unobstructed, in hopes that it will never have the chance to force the diver into an unnatural position, creating an "opinionated" BC.

...Two schools of thought... You know, like Coke and Pepsi. I prefer one, and have lots of reasons... But I can see that only some agree - and those that don't have their reasons as well.

If you feel so inclined, you may want to read an article I wrote about the "opinionated BC" phenomenon at http://www.DeepSouthDivers.org/homeBC.html Be warned beforehand that it speaks in absolutes - it shows examples of full BC's and empty BC's, when in reality a BC is rarely completely full or empty. It also doesn't show a tank's shift in buoyancy, the whole reason why a BC was created in the first place. Nonetheless, with a couple of examples and a basic explanation, a reader should be able to apply the concepts to just about any rig and be able to guesstimate the results. So in that light, the article may help explain some basic concepts and why opinions vary so greatly on different types of BC's.

Good luck with your decision. I think you've made a great choice, but that's how *I* feel - which I found out for myself after many dives in many different types of BCs. I would agree that it's best to rent a lot and try a lot of different things out before buying.

...But it's also my belief that the more you look and try, the more you'll believe that your initial decision was correct to begin with. :biggrin:

Drew:
From what I've read so far, most people have great experiences with Halcyon, with the exception of a few rough plate edges which can easily be solved.

Don't forget about FredT backplates. You probably won't find better service or quality anywhere else. you can contact him at ftagge@goldinc.com. He makes great stuff.

Jambi

Well, I'll be diving this weekend with a back plate and wings on my twin 100's.

And I'll also dive with a "less than optimum" horse collar on a single 72 with a double hose regulator.

It'll be Big Fun in Florida. I enjoy the heck out of diving.

Thanks for all the free advice so far. I won't be buying until after I'm certified and after I've tried out BP/wings vs BCD. My LDS sells complete Halcyon kits, in addition to jackets, so I'm sure I can try out both options, and I'll have my wife do the same.

Obviously, both options must be somewhat viable; otherwise we'd only have one option. At the moment, it sounds like the BP/wings is more suited to my perception of what I like (since I've only had a resort course).

Equipment aside, I'm curious how often I'll be able to embrace this new sport, given that I live in the midwest. I hope that the local freshwater has enough to capture my curiosity, because I love being underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom