Going from BP-wing to Jacket BCD ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an element of truth to this. (and to webmonkey's comment about there just being far more jacket BCs) However, I know from extensive experience with both jackets and BP/Ws that a BP/W with a crotch strap is better at the surface than an ill fitting jacket with no crotch strap.

I also disagree with the comment that jacket BCs are easier to get in and out of. I find the hogarthian harness much easier to don/doff than my old jacket BC. The clips, padding, floppy straps all made it much more of a pain.

If cross chest straps/clips are unnecessary for your BP/W harness, then maybe you should cut them off from your BC.. That might allow a more fair comparison.

I typically always remove the plastic waist clip and the cummerbund from my BC and replace with a simple rubber belt. The rubber belt is very simple and it is BETTER thann a BP/W harness using nylon belt that does not automatically compensate for suit compression.

Also, I personally hate the crotch strap, but I add a removable one to my BC's and will only use a crotch strap (with a BP/W and BC) when I am wearing a lot of wetsuit and therefore need a lot of air in the BC at depth. Addition of a simple crotch strap to a BC makes it much more stable and adressed all of the floppy complaints and riding up issues that are commonly heard from BC critics. Why ditch the entire BC simply because it needs a small modification(s)?

I won't call you a liar, but it is hard to understand how it is easier for someone to get into a non adjustable hardness and a crotch strap, than a BC with no crotch strap and instantly adjustable shoulder straps.

If you can hang in any position with air in your wing, Archimedes wants to talk to you.

Terry

It's not a terribly complicated concept, I'm rarely using every ounce of lift my wing can provide so there is only a small bubble I am controlling; I can move it around my DSS donut wing at will. The rest is body positioning and balance. Granted I couldn't stay there forever, nor do I want to swim on my head, but for getting a certain shot, checking a ledge I just swam over, or just impressing my dive buddies it does just fine.

Peace,
Greg

If cross chest straps/clips are unnecessary for your BP/W harness, then maybe you should cut them off from your BC.. That might allow a more fair comparison.

I won't call you a liar, but it is hard to understand how it is easier for someone to get into a non adjustable hardness and a crotch strap, than a BC with no crotch strap and instantly adjustable shoulder straps.

Well, if we ever dive together, I can show you. There are many BP/W users who have exactly the same experience. The lack of clutter and stiffness of webbing has a lot to do with it. The crotch strap is nothing; just slip it over the waist belt and buckle up.

Why is it a fair comparison only if I cut stuff off the BC? I'm comparing my jacket BC as is with my BP/W as is. That's what's "fair." You just don't like someone disagreeing with you on this issue. I'm not sure why, except the whole topic is fairly charged from millions of threads about it, so opinions are strong.

I'm not trying to say that you are "wrong" about your BC, only that my experience is different. That's what makes these threads go on and on and on and on and on.....

Mattboy, I agree that in most ways getting into a BP/W is easier than a traditional BC once you have it properly adjusted.

With a BP you just slide into it. You don't have to adjust the shoulder strap, chest strap, tuck the dangling shoulder strap ends somewhere. The BP crotch is another step but it's just not hard.

I think the advantage is just the design. For instance I always liked the way backup lights could be carried with a BP. That didn't work with my BC so I had to either put them in a pocket or have them dangling somewhere.

I had to carry a bailout bottle on my main tank rather than slinging it. I guess I could have figured out some other way. I couldn't use a short hose for the SPG and have a place to clip it. The cummerbund was useless whereas a waist strap can carry my knife. The inflator hose was too long with the BC design.

I could move 5 lb off my weight belt. Those are the advantages. It's mainly just that it seems like it was designed by a diver.

Hello everyone -

Curious! scubaboard has always been a very pro-BP wing place. You really can not talk about BCDs without the BP wing recommendation popping up. I am a BP wing user myself but the anti jacket pro wing sentiment on here sometimes amazes me because it really does not represent the statistics I see on dive boats.

I am just curious how many people here have gone from BP wing to jacket or back inflate bcds.

:popcorn:

Anyone?

You're right. I'll let all those vacation divers out there that log 5 dives a year make my gear recommendations from now on.... :D

I would not assume that just because somebody has a jacket BC that they only make five vacation dives a year, they also might make 1,000 local dives, who knows. While equipment is often a good indicator of what type of diver you are talking to or about, nonetheless you can take it too far. There are a lot of excellent divers out there who will NEVER switch to a BP/wing for whatever reason they have going on in their heads.

N

I have dove a jacket bc (Scubapro) for years (19). On two occasions I have had the opportunity to try a BP/W at our local quarry so I gave them a try. It was two different brands on two different days.

After reading all the hype on ScubaBoard about BP/W's, I kinda expected to see a real difference and was waiting for the WOW factor once the dive started. Well, the WOW factor just never materialized. For me, I just never saw any advantage to it over my jacket and the jacket is superior at the surface even though I'm not at the surface for that long. Now I have read that it is easier to rig them for doubles and I don't doubt that so I'd give it the nod for that situation. But for just regular old single tank ocean diving, which is probably the vast majority of dives made, I don't get it.

One of the big benefits I often see claimed is how a BP/W gives you better trim and bouyancy. Sometimes people will even say it's instant! What I have always found is that with any style bc, if you are properly weighted, then you will need to put very little air in a bc during a dive. I actually don't put any air in my bc during a dive unless I get down to maybe 100 ft or so and then I find I may add a little. For a diver who has their weighting and bouyancy dialed in, a bc becomes pretty much just something to hold your tank and clip off a few things to. An experienced diver can have equally good trim in a jacket, back inflate, or BP/W because the small amount of air you may add in the bc is first going to the back area anyway. I never did understand why someone would complain how they didn't like the squeeze of a jacket bc while diving. I just figured they didn't have a good grasp on proper weighting and had to add way to much air in their BC because you really have to add quite a bit to feel squeezed.

So my thought is this. If it really is easier for a diver to master their trim and bouyancy using a BP/W, then the diver who has mastered it with a jacket BC is probably a more skilled diver. At least when it comes to trim and buoyancy.

I switched to a BP/W not too long ago and I am still trying to get comfortable in it. I could switch back if I had to, no big deal right now. The problem for me is getting into it. Shoulder, neck and lower back problems from years of doing stupid stuff makes it painful some days to suit up. My old BC was easier to don. I am also a little negative with this setup unless I put on a wetsuit (which I try to avoid).
I may very well be doing something wrong and in time will reach a point where I couldn’t imagine life with a traditional BC but for now, I like my BP/W but I could also like a good back inflate BC.

Well, if we ever dive together, I can show you. There are many BP/W users who have exactly the same experience. The lack of clutter and stiffness of webbing has a lot to do with it. The crotch strap is nothing; just slip it over the waist belt and buckle up.

Why is it a fair comparison only if I cut stuff off the BC? I'm comparing my jacket BC as is with my BP/W as is. That's what's "fair." You just don't like someone disagreeing with you on this issue. I'm not sure why, except the whole topic is fairly charged from millions of threads about it, so opinions are strong.

I'm not trying to say that you are "wrong" about your BC, only that my experience is different. That's what makes these threads go on and on and on and on and on.....

I think my point is that many Bc's DO have a lot of supefluous crap on them. Hell I won't even use ditchable integrated weight systems on the BC. If you are willing to think outside the box and not buy into some of the crap that the industry is trying to sell you, a few small changes to the BC can make it function better.

If everyone agreed with me, this site would not be interesting anymore

I switched to a BP/W not too long ago and I am still trying to get comfortable in it. I could switch back if I had to, no big deal right now. The problem for me is getting into it. Shoulder, neck and lower back problems from years of doing stupid stuff makes it painful some days to suit up. My old BC was easier to don. I am also a little negative with this setup unless I put on a wetsuit (which I try to avoid).
I may very well be doing something wrong and in time will reach a point where I couldn’t imagine life with a traditional BC but for now, I like my BP/W but I could also like a good back inflate BC.

If you want to keep using the harness, you can add quick release buckles that may improve your ability to get into and out of the harness. You are allowed to modify the harness so it works for you.

When I got my first one, i immediately changed it and made the shoulder straps slide smoothly, so i could get the thing on and off much easier. Just because a Hog harness does not work for you, doesn't mean you should avoid a BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom