good inexpensive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redneck23ms

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm looking to get my first dive computer. not wanting to spend a ton for my first one. and good used one is fine. only planning on doing rec.ow dives for now. but would like nitrox compatible and air intergrated. thanks for the suggestions

Take a look at the oceanic geo 2.0. I was able to find some decent deals on them when I was buying mine this summer

Sorry just notice you are looking for air integrated which this one is not

Not wanting to spend a "ton" and air integrated are not compatible unless you go second hand. Now going without AI your options open up significantly.

I've got a Hollis DG03 that I like alright. It can't compare to a Petrel, but it can be had for $250 new from retailers.....and it's hard to beat it at that price. It's a 3-gas computer capable of 100% O2 with a Gauge mode.

Air integrated does give the option to automatically record start & end pressures, if you get a model that logs dives. Especially useful if you also have one that can download dives to your computer, and software can then calculate your SAC rate, which can be useful to follow over time. And you can add an analog SPG to your 1'rst stage as a backup to it, just in case. The option to download dives to a computer often includes a roughly $100 add-on kit, that may or may not be included with a computer.

But yes, AI costs money. Wireless AI costs even more money. Some computers can be bought with the option to add a transmitter later, helping keep initial costs down.

If you want to see your air on the same display, but care nothing about logging it, there are console computers that include a separate SPG built into the console, of course. ScubaToys.com has an Aeris XR1 on closeout for around $200. If you want the true AI console experience, they've got an old Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1 with compass for around $450.

I'd watch the Black Friday deals, but here's something you might like. DiveGearExpress still has the discontinued Hollis DG03 and it's 'priced to move' at $250. Here's the gist:

1.) Wrist unit, but decent-sized display - not a watch.

2.) You can add AI capability with a $330 transmitter, when you're ready.

3.) You can add PC download capability with a $100 kit, when you're ready.

Now, that's $680, and it's discontinued. BUT, you get the option for incremental upgrading.

But take a look at what it costs if you add stuff up front, when you buy the computer. Now, that transmitter is $250. Download kit same price, but you save $80 by getting the transmitter up front.

$600 for a wrist AI computer with transmitter and download capability. Not too shabby.

Next, I'd go to ScubaBoard's classifieds section. A wrist unit similar to the DG3, at least roughly, would be the old Oceanic VT3, and I've seen people sell them at good values. See if Mr. Black has sold this VT4.1 for $550 yet!

Richard.

Check out sherwood wisdom 3 on eba, there is someone selling off inventory from a closed shop in Cali. I picked one up new sealed in the package for $350 shipped. I know there may be warranty issues but for a $700 computer it was worth it to me.

I wouldn't worry about air integrated too much for now if you want to get something fairly cheaply. As has already been mentioned AI computers do cost more, and buying second hand will invalidate any warranty or service history. So you options are either to get a 2nd hand AI and not worry about that, or spend the same amount (or potentially less) on a decent none AI that comes with a full warranty.

Either way, I'd still dive with a SPG - having an AI computer is all well and good, but should not be solely relied upon. You still need your depth and air displayed on another guage for safety.

Back
Top Bottom