Good Rec (Maybe Tech) BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh and another few questions: (thanks for being patient)

I have an issue with one of my hands (right) from an injury in war (US Veteran) so the rip cord system on the Stiletto appeals to me for ease of use. With a BP/W, I like the Cinch system from H for similar reasons (I can push the webbing with my right Palm and slide out if needed).

I know that you can buy the Cinch System from H for about $100. Can I put that kit onto ANY other BP or does it NEED to go onto a H plate?

Are the wings interchangeable for the different companies plates?

Say I get the H Cinch webbing kit, will I be able to put that on a DSS plate and use ay Wing?

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it.

Money is very tight so I need to stretch it as far as I can :wink:

Scubatoys had a special for a DR plate, harness and oxycheq wing for about $350.00. Don't know if it is still there.

I dive/dived DiveRite plates with Oxycheq wings. Nice combination.

FWIW, I've owned a Stiletto. Very decent BC. I like the plates to distribute weight across my lungs however. I trim out better. If you really are considering going "tech", go with the BPW.

+1 for Tobin and DSS

On the wings/plates/interchangeability:

1) I think virtually all wings and plates have the holes 11" on center, so you are good there. If you use an STA that means all will fit all.

2) There is some variation in cam band slot spacing and design on various plates/wings. Probably most will fit most, or be close, but there is no "guarantee" like there is with the 11" OC holes. Some plates don't have cam band slots at all (Agir-Brokk, some older Oxycheq ones, IIRC).

3) Some manufacturers have special things that might or will not be interchangeable. For example the DSS "easy release" square wing openings. I can use the Oxycheq wing on my DSS plate no problem, but I lose the nifty DSS design on that specific feature. Another example is that I don't think the Halcyon Cinch system would just "pop on" to another plate (although one could potentially make a modification). A third one that comes to mind is that DSS makes weight plates that fit on their backplates, but probably don't fit on others.

(Obviously I'm citing things from brands I'm familiar with; there may be others).

Is there Amy difference really between a SS backplate from DSS, Dive Rite, OMS and anyone else?

The reason I ask is because there is a HUGE price difference - Range is $50 - $250 (for a similar product / or the same product)

That's why I am asking because I don't know

Thanks

I would say in terms of overall function, no. In terms of details, yes.

Examples (sorry, some are repeats of above):

1) Some only come in one size, some in two sizes, some in five sizes, etc.

2) Fit and finish may be different.

3) The channel designs differ somewhat (higher or lower).

4) "Lined" webbing slots or "plain" webbing slots.

5) Angle of shoulder-strap slots can vary.

6) Some are rounded or angled on the bottom, some have "bent" corners, etc.

7) Cam band slots can be at different "heights."

8) "Accessory" availability (weight plates, cinch system, SMB stowage, custom padding, etc.).

9) Metal composition (304 stainless vs. 316 or others).

10) Weight and thickness.

And there is probably more. However, to my mind they all function similarly, so it depends on whether you would need, notice, or care about any of the variations.

Buy DSS because they are better. I also own an Oxycheq signature wing, and have previously owned a Dive Rite.

What features are better:

Their inner bladder is thicker than their competitors.

Their outer shell is a heavy denier ballistic nylon. Better than my Oxycheq or the Dive Rite.

Fast draining mesh at the bottom vs. grommets.

DSS grommets don't corrode, like my Oxycheq has.

The DSS OPV is much better that the (sourced from ???) that everyone else uses. The ones that were all recalled for bad springs. I put a DSS OPV on my Oxycheq.

The waist belt buckle on the DSS is made from approx. 1/8" thick stainless steel, not the thin stamped stainless everyone else uses/has outsourced for them.

There are no exposed seams along the center line/perimeter of the DSS wing, the Oxycheq is similarly constructed. Halcyon, HOG, and others are just two flat pieces of fabric sewn together with the seam along the perimeter of the wing.

The inner bladder of my DSS wings is properly sized to the outer shell. My Oxycheq seems to be a 55 lb. bladder stuffed inside of a 40 lb. shell. There are other posts here describing the same.

DSS plates have a flatter bend than others. Nicer for single tank.

DSS wings don't need a single tank adapter.....and.....allow you to quickly remove/replace the wing from the plate.

DSS plates come in a few different lengths, and the have the molded in rubber pieces which mean you don't need to use tri-glides to lock in your webbing adjustment.

You can add weight plates to the DSS plate if you later need to have more weight evenly placed.

The DSS crotch strap is nice and soft, it doesn't require a neoprene sleeve over it, and it comes with their custom cut curved tri-glides that don't move once positioned.

I recommend DSS because they contain elements that show attention to detail not found in other brands. DSS makes their own gear, they aren't outsourced items.

I bought DSS because they are better made and better priced.

-Mitch

There is a variation in the quality of the stainless steel -- some are better (and more expensive) than others. There are other things that differentiate one plate from another -- the number of holes and slots, the quality of the finish work, the shape of the bend, etc. DSS plates have a handy feature for cold water divers, because they will accept bolt-on weight plates that DSS sells. A lot of people like this. DSS plates also have an elastomeric insert in the bottom slots which means you don't have to use a triglide there, and the webbing is stable but somewhat more easily adjusted when necessary.

I haven't dived the Cinch system, but I played with it in the parking lot. It only releases if you have taken all the tension off the straps, which means you can't use it to get out of your gear more easily when you are standing up. And it does NOT fit other plates -- Halcyon has a bend in the lower corners of their plates which is required for the Cinch to fasten.

A properly adjusted harness really isn't hard to get in and out of. If it's hard, it's probably too tight.

Buy DSS because they are better. I also own an Oxycheq signature wing, and have previously owned a Dive Rite.

I have a DSS rig and I like it, but I think your statement is too categorical. That's not to say I don't agree with some of your listed differences (because I do), but I also have a couple of issues with them:

The waist belt buckle on the DSS is made from approx. 1/8" thick stainless steel, not the thin stamped stainless everyone else uses/has outsourced for them.
I used a Halcyon Eclipse for two weeks and I remember the buckle as being of good quality, so I don't think "everyone" else uses inferior buckles.

DSS plates have a flatter bend than others. Nicer for single tank.
I agree that the bend is flatter, and this is probably an advantage for most people (maybe everyone but me :wink:); I ended up making a spacer to get the tank slightly further away from my back.

DSS wings don't need a single tank adapter.....and.....allow you to quickly remove/replace the wing from the plate.

Oxycheq wings don't need an STA either (I don't know about other brands). I do like the quick remove/replace of the DSS wing.

You can add weight plates to the DSS plate if you later need to have more weight evenly placed.
I believe Hollis has this as well (?)

Again, I like my DSS rig, and I'm happy to point out areas where I find it preferable to others, but just thought your statement was a bit "blanket" and there were some inaccuracies. I could see different people preferring various brands for their own reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom