Good Rec (Maybe Tech) BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To US Vet:
First off, I am no expert and do not claim to be. I have somewhat limited experience, but I will pass on what I know. With where you will dive mostly, I would suggest an aluminum BP. If you feel the need to add a little weight, there are weight pockets you can buy that will strap on to your cam bands and add weights as needed. This puts the weight over your back/lungs and usually helps with trim (your results may vary). As stated above, I would buy 14 feet or so of webbing, about a $10 investment, and play around with options in your living room. While each companies BP is a little different (they may argue that), its like wine and cheese. A true connoisseur can easily tell the difference, I can't. I would recommend finding a used one that fits, and buy it. I have never seen a BP wear out, its a piece of metal.

Wings are a different story somewhat. I have only dove with an Oxycheq. It performed well and I had no problems. I have looked at DSS and they are a fine product, from what I can see. Used is an option to save some money, but look at the sellers rating and be careful around E-bay. There are some honest people, then again some not so honest:(

I hope this helps a little. Good luck on your search. Remember, we can only offer advice. The rig should fit well above all else and provide you with comfort. If it doesn't, you won't enjoy the best sport in the world. Thanks for serving and your sacrifice as well :acclaim:

Yeah, my rig is as balanced as I can get it. My summer rig is about 17.5 # negative .... 17.5# can be a chore swimming up from the bottom with a .5 mil suit or skin.

One question though: I can see where the rig would be 17# negative without you in it, but would it still be that negative if you were wearing it? Here's why I ask:

If I do a weight check while wearing my very-similar-to-yours rig*, I'm essentially neutral in the un-weighted rig (or very close to it). The lead weight I add (around 4 pounds) is basically to account for the weight of the air I'm going to use during the dive. So how could I need to swim up more than around 4 pounds of "negativity" as long as I were wearing my rig? Am I missing something obvious? :blush:

(I do a separate calculation to see if my rig can float at the surface without me in it.)

(And obviously these figures would change slightly in a 3mm suit.)

Blue Sparkle

*AL63, stainless plate, harness, regs, skin, etc.

One question though: I can see where the rig would be 17# negative without you in it, but would it still be that negative if you were wearing it? Here's why I ask:

If I do a weight check while wearing my very-similar-to-yours rig*, I'm essentially neutral in the un-weighted rig (or very close to it). The lead weight I add (around 4 pounds) is basically to account for the weight of the air I'm going to use during the dive. So how could I need to swim up more than around 4 pounds of "negativity" as long as I were wearing my rig? Am I missing something obvious? :blush:

(I do a separate calculation to see if my rig can float at the surface without me in it.)

(And obviously these figures would change slightly in a 3mm suit.)

Blue Sparkle

*AL63, stainless plate, harness, regs, skin, etc.

I am at least about 4 to 6# positive. Good call. I say that, because I add about 4# when free diving in a rash guard. I still need to swim down.

@ eelnoraa.

You pointed out a few things that I posted and called them inaccurate or BS statements.

* "Thicker" Oxycheq shell material. The Oxycheq shell I have is made from regular 500 denier cordura type nylon. It's coated with a very heavy layer of clear urethane on the inside. Which as you pointed out it's too thick to fold or deflate completely. The fabric itself is just regular nylon.

*I started my post with the wings I own, so anyone reading it would realize that I'm comparing the wings I own. My Oxycheq wing doesn't have stainless steel grommets. It's not a major deal, but they do corrode. It seems that Oxycheq have now sourced stainless steel grommets for their wings. Good move for them.

*I mentioned the difference in waist belt buckles, and pointed out that the DSS is thicker. You responded with "This is BS". If you took the time to read before posting your comment you would have seen that I said that any buckle would do the job of clamping a piece of webbing.
I only mentioned that the DSS made a buckle from a thicker piece of stainless (measurements in a follow up post). I certainly never said that anyone would have a problem with a thinner buckle.

*Cut of the wing.
DSS and Oxycheq each have a 3D cut (a 2-3" wide panel along the sides of the wing), which is what I originally stated. The Oxycheq doesn't have a "special" cut, and isn't more streamlined. The reason it doesn't fold flat is due to the heavy clear coating on the inside of the fabric. The Halcyon has a seam along the center-line (perimeter) of the wing.
I agree with you....it doesn't vent as easily.
To better illustrate the differences see post #1 and post #3 of this thread: ;-)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...e-40-vs-oxycheq-mach-v-30-dry-comparison.html

Also, I never said that "DSS is king, others are crap." I don't know where you got that from. What I said was that DSS was better and then mentioned the points that I felt made them better. Obviously, this is all subjective. That must have been lost on you. I made this statement in response to the OP mentioning "I know that the BP/W party line touts the Halcyon as the King." Maybe you were confusing what the OP stated with my post, or maybe you didn't read closely enough before posting your own hastily crafted response.

Calm down and read before multi-quoting me. It's the least you can do before posting that my statements are inaccurate or BS.

On the flatter plate band angles. I had forgotten that when I had Mk25 first stages, they did seem to stick out more. This would be a little more noticeable with a flat plate. My personal preference is for a flatter plate for a single tank setup. I've even made a couple of my own stainless steel plates that are completely flat.
I stow my SMB through two loops of bungie cord tied to the bottom holes of the plate. If I kept it between my back and the plate, then the flatter plates wouldn't be the ideal bend. I hadn't really considered that before.

-Mitch

Last edited:
Mitch

I am sorry if I offended you. That wasn't my intention. I also appologize for the some of the words that I chose to use on my post.

We have so many different observations about Oxycheq, the only reason I can think of is I have a newer Mach V wing than you. A lot of your complain about them had been fixed (I guess). My whole intention was to let OP know the other side of the opinion.

Happy diving!

Eelnoraa,

It's all good. Thank you.

You are probably right, mine is probably an older version.
I'm sorry if I came across too harsh.

Take care,:cheers:

Mitch

Well...because of this thread, I recently put my Oxy Mach V in my lap and completely unzipped the inner bladder from the shell. First, I have to say the zip system is ingenious. My hat is in my hands to the person who developed that.

Main reason I opened the wing is the comment about the inner bladder being larger than the shell. I have had a number of Oxy wings, but now I only have a MV 30# and a MV 18#. So, I unzipped my 30#. At first blush, when I looked at (and felt) the inner bladder, I thought, "maybe too big for the shell?). But when I inflated the inner bladder, it was the same size as the outer shell. There were 4 creases, but I inflated orally. Now mind you, this a 30# and not a 40#. But one of the upsides I alway post about the Oxy MV wings, no trapped gas and very easy manipulation of the bubble.

Oh, and FTR, I have some corrosion on my older wing's grommets. But who the F cares. Doesn't affect my dive.

Last edited:
My Oxycheq wing doesn't have stainless steel grommets. It's not a major deal, but they do corrode.

Who the F cares?

Not I. I can't imagine a grommet affecting anyones dive.

I own the Halcyon with the Cinch system and 30-lb wing. There are a million opinions. Go try each system and decide for yourself. That's what I did three years ago, and the Halcyon was the hands-down winner. It wasn't cheap, but a cost a lot less than buying the wrong thing and trading it in (like my dive buddy did.) I don't regret buying the Halcyon. It's bombproof industrial art that really works. This is a case where you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom