Gross, disgusting behaviour on the boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yesterday I experienced what I considered disgusting, gross behaviour on the boat by another diver. I was the last diver out of the water and was standing on the ladder toward the rear right hand side of the boat, removing my fins.

Some guy (and it's usually a guy who I have seen exhibit this behaviour), sitting at the front of the boat on the same side I was, leaned over, horked a gigantic luggie and then immediately proceeded to blow out two gigantic streams of snot from his nose into the water. I was down current (in a fast current) and nearly puked as these gobs of nastiness made their way straight toward me. I did some sort of contortion myself to avoid them, as he apologized to the people ON THE BOAT!

Now I can understand if someone is seasick and needs to hurl, that they can't always get the timing and velocity just right. But there was absolutely NO need for this guy to do this while I was still in the water. He could have waited the 30 or 40 seconds it would have taken me to remove my fins. Or, he could have gone over to the other side and ministered to his needs.

Consider this a plea...please exhibit a little consideration for other divers still in the water. And if you are a DM, and see this, ask your rude, inconsiderate client to hold off a minute or so. And if you are married to one of these inconsiderate goofs, well, you have my sympathies. But maybe you could wrinkle your nose at him. :dork2:

As Shrek says, "better out then in" That's a part of the dive sending these to sea. I call them snot rockets. You are right, I have only seen men able to do this, it's a gift. Never should they be done up current or into the wind, that makes a gross thing grosser. Cheers

Reactions: gbf
Yesterday I experienced what I considered disgusting, gross behaviour on the boat by another diver. I was the last diver out of the water and was standing on the ladder toward the rear right hand side of the boat, removing my fins.

Some guy (and it's usually a guy who I have seen exhibit this behaviour), sitting at the front of the boat on the same side I was, leaned over, horked a gigantic luggie and then immediately proceeded to blow out two gigantic streams of snot from his nose into the water. I was down current (in a fast current) and nearly puked as these gobs of nastiness made their way straight toward me. I did some sort of contortion myself to avoid them, as he apologized to the people ON THE BOAT!

Now I can understand if someone is seasick and needs to hurl, that they can't always get the timing and velocity just right. But there was absolutely NO need for this guy to do this while I was still in the water. He could have waited the 30 or 40 seconds it would have taken me to remove my fins. Or, he could have gone over to the other side and ministered to his needs.

Consider this a plea...please exhibit a little consideration for other divers still in the water. And if you are a DM, and see this, ask your rude, inconsiderate client to hold off a minute or so. And if you are married to one of these inconsiderate goofs, well, you have my sympathies. But maybe you could wrinkle your nose at him. :dork2:

Well, I hope that you at least mentioned your disdain to the male diver that offended you with his nasty body fluid discharge. Believe it or not, there are some guys (OK, maybe only 10 or 11) that will listen and try to make a conscience effort to become a more socially acceptable member of the dive community. Of course, I am not one of those guys. I have great aim. :D

I've seen guys do that on deck....one time a dude slung one onto the foot of the guy next to him. Usually these people get read the riot act, and sometimes they become self conscious enough about their disgusting habits that they become more discrete about it. Sometimes you just can't take the nasty out of them.

Reactions: MMM
I'm sorry, that is f'ing disgusting! The last thing you want to do is get infected with someone else's funk so your dives get ruined.

What kind of behavior is that? If it isn't acceptable on land (which is isn't), it isn't acceptable on the water!!!!

I'm sorry you had to have that horrible experience.

You guys have never seen me come off a dive, then.... Usually it is inside my mask & all over my face. I try to be incognito about it, use a paper towel to clean up (& properly dispose of) but yes, it needs to come out. Nothing loosens up the congestion in my head like the pressure changes of diving. Diving is not a beauty pageant.

I don't disagree. Have had to do it myself on occasion. But there is a way to do it. On land (or anywhere on this planet) would you blow your snot at someone else?
As Shrek says, "better out then in" That's a part of the dive sending these to sea. I call them snot rockets. You are right, I have only seen men able to do this, it's a gift. Never should they be done up current or into the wind, that makes a gross thing grosser. Cheers

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2014 at 04:24 PM ----------

Well, I hope that you at least mentioned your disdain to the male diver that offended you with his nasty body fluid discharge. :D
Nope. I am too polite to do that (Canadian, you know). Plus I was dumbfounded that anyone would be so rude.

Guess I'm the lucky one who is never pestered by mask snot on a dive, etc. But he was gross--no need for that. I wouldn't think it was seasickness at fault-- that's a puke thing. This wasnot...

I didn't mean to imply HE was seasick. Just to acknowledge that sometimes people can't control doing something gross (and maybe puking on you). This wasn't one of those times IMO.

Guess I'm the lucky one who is never pestered by mask snot on a dive, etc. But he was gross--no need for that. I wouldn't think it was seasickness at fault-- that's a puke thing. This wasnot...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom