Her First Dive Didn't Go so Well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Careful now.. this is the basic section. A no flame zone.. I remember when I got in so much trouble for suggesting that a guy read his computer manual if he was unsure how to use it :rofl3: .. BTW, there was no emergency ascent..
Well, DD, I don't think I got anywhere near even "warm" towards flaming you, and besides, even if you disagree with that, you did ask directly and unequivocolly, so if you didn't want an honest answer, you shouldn't have asked at all.
Do you think I should feel awful?
BTW, there was an emergency ascent. There was an accident involving an injury; the diver ascended as a result of this accident. That is an emergency ascent. An emergency ascent doesn't have to be in a panic, and it doesn't have to include sharing air or performing any particular rescue--it just has to be an ascent when there's an emergency.

Last edited:
Following this thread with somewhat detached amusement. Welcome to the reality of diving. Diving things often don't go according to plan.

All alive and unbent? Lesson learned? Awesome....

---------- Post added August 30th, 2013 at 09:17 PM ----------

BTW, there was and emergency ascent. There was an accident involving an injury; the diver ascended as a result of this accident. That is an emergency ascent. An emergency ascent doesn't have to be in a panic, and it doesn't have to include sharing air or performing any particular rescue--it just has to be an ascent when there's an emergency.

The injury did not require an ascent. In fact as described, an ascent in this situation was counter productive.

I am interested in learning more about "emergency Ascents". So an emergency ascent is performed any time a diver experiences ANY Trauma and decides they would rather be on the surface? Is that your definition of an emergency ascent?

What if the diver gets stung by fire coral and the dive sucks and they would prefer to put vinegar on it rather than continue to dive for 20 minutes.... Are they then performing an emergency ascent?

Does it just have to be a painful stimulus that motivates a diver to go to the surface, even though the ascent will not ameliorated the symptoms or enhance their safety?

What if the diver has a hole in the glove and his hand gets really cold and it is painful and they decide to ascend as a result of it, is that an emergency ascent?

This is what she looked like one day later... bad sting.jpg

Poor kid. I got one a lot like that wrapped around my leg once and it felt like my leg was on fire. I can't imagine how much that must have hurt her, yet she maintained her composure for the most part. Impressive.

aww dang, that looks painful :(

tell her she is one great thinking diver :)

she takes one.. a large jelly drifting in the current completely covers her face and wraps up in her hair. My son saw it from the surface and he dove down and ripped it off her face. I pop my tank on and she is rubbing her neck and frantically gives the thumbs up. Obviously, I should have paid better attention.

You daughter decided it was an emergency.

Well, I never did get a good response on what type of underwater scenarios constitute an "emergency ascent"....

I took her (and her brother) out for some snorkeling yesterday. We saw some more moon jellies and she said that they made her nervous, but she was still able to enjoy the water. We will start back on the scuba lessons pretty soon. A video from yesterday:

[video=youtube;ZqRVbaHs520]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqRVbaHs520&feature=share&list=UU1utDku8vJ RJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

Well, I never did get a good response on what type of underwater scenarios constitute an "emergency ascent"....

FWIW, I think that if anyone feels at risk and needs to surface to correct the situation, it's an emergency ascent. That being said, although you feel some level of guilt for what happened, you can not in any way control animals or completely control any situation. Something happened and you handled it expertly and calmly. It was a jellyfish sting people, it wasn't as if he shot her with a speargun.

I took her (and her brother) out for some snorkeling yesterday. We saw some more moon jellies and she said that they made her nervous, but she was still able to enjoy the water. We will start back on the scuba lessons pretty soon. A video from yesterday:

Glads she's back in and dodging the jellies. Also: those long fins look really cool on video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom