Her First Dive Didn't Go so Well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's good to see her back in the water again and that she hasn't let the incident "scar" her...

just throwing in on the emergency ascent.. if we use the definition of emergency:

1. a sudden, urgent, usually unexpected occurrence or occasion requiring immediate action.
2. a state, especially of need for help or relief, created by some unexpected event: a weather emergency; a financial emergency.

that definition would say that it was an emergency ascent... more for her than for you though

it was suddent, she considered it urgent and it definitely was unexpected... additionally the ascent was indeed caused by an emergency (jellyfish wrapped around her face)... so it's fair to say it was an emergency ascent.. i think..

The moral of this story is: "Don't dive around jellies."

I thought it was "don't post anything that was less than perfect."

The moral of this story is: "Don't dive around jellies."

we have had a lot of moon jellies around for a few weeks.

We did another dive today. No emergency ascents, no injuries and we saw a few cool things. She found the smallest batfish I have ever seen..

[video=youtube_share;WfUbNkYGtBg]http://youtu.be/WfUbNkYGtBg[/video]

Outstanding, looks like a great time was had and she performed well.

We did another dive today. No emergency ascents, no injuries and we saw a few cool things. She found the smallest batfish I have ever seen..

[video=youtube_share;WfUbNkYGtBg]http://youtu.be/WfUbNkYGtBg[/video]

In the first part of the video: horseshoe crab love interupted :eek:

Glad all went well and that you've got a new scuba buddy.

Happy Diving!
Elena

Last edited:
Headed back to the local dive site for Dive Number 3. This time she was weighted a little better and we did a number of skills that I think are important. We even practiced ditching lead and ascending in a buoyant condition. Flaring out on your back really slows the ascent down and makes in more manageable.

We also did removal of the scuba unit and swimming up without it. A confidence builder, I think. Not the most exciting video, but it served as a good review for her after the dive.

She seems pretty calm now with about everything. She thinks she is ready for a night dive.

[video=youtube;NmeQmWZ_tzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmeQmWZ_tzY&feature=share&list=UU1utDku8vJ RJYgBZImLyLJQ[/video]

While it's great that you are teaching your daughter to dive, and she seems to be pretty comfortable underwater, there are a few things that I've seen and read that bother me.

I don't really want to discuss teaching methods here, as I don't know from what agency you are teaching and what standards you are following; you are obviously not teaching from a dive centre, so it's "only" your responsibility.

But, teaching your daughter (or any student for that matter) that it's ok to pick up and disturb marine creatures, that IMO it's definitely not ok.

While it's great that you are teaching your daughter to dive, and she seems to be pretty comfortable underwater, there are a few things that I've seen and read that bother me.

I don't really want to discuss teaching methods here, as I don't know from what agency you are teaching and what standards you are following; you are obviously not teaching from a dive centre, so it's "only" your responsibility.

But, teaching your daughter (or any student for that matter) that it's ok to pick up and disturb marine creatures, that IMO it's definitely not ok.

I'm not teaching from any agency. My instructor status has long since expired, however I was trained in NAUI initially and then later as a PADI Instructor. Some of the skills I teach are no longer taught, e.g., maskless buddy breathing and I'm not sure if ditching lead and doing a buoyant ascent was ever taught, but I want her to have done these things and feel comfortable.

Possibly (probably) we will seek out an instructor and get her formally certified, but that will only occur until after she has many dives and considerable experience diving with me to 60 feet and has done night dives with no issues. Same as I did with her two brothers.

As for the disturbing sea creatures.. I told her last night some people had complained about the dive video and she said why, because of the ditching of the lead? She knows this is not standard.

She was surprised when I told her it was because we picked up an eel and a conch.

If a father and daughter are walking in the woods and dad catches a frog, toad, turtle, salamander or snake with his hands, or uses a fishing pole bait and hook to catch a fish.. and then allows his daughter to touch it and examine it and lets it go unharmed, no one seems to have a problem with that.. heaven help us if something similar happens underwater...
shakehead.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom