How come BP/W cost $600+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron:
In that case, maybe I should look into OMS' BP134 with Comfort Harness System II + adjustable oblique webbing.

Any thoughts on the OMS BP134 - nay or yea?

I initially bought the OMS Deluxe Harness with Shoulder pads but ended up switching to a hog harness...I can only imagine how much bulkier the Comfort Harness is :shakehead

Cheers.

-J.-

A Hammerhead plate and OxyCheq Mach V Signature series will not cost 600 dollars.

The jacket BC and so called back inflate BCs, the fluffy fru fru jobs with cumberbunds and padding and molded plastic and built in weights that looks more like a hiking back pack mated with a life prserver jacket, are the darlings of the scuba industry because they are pure profit. They are really nothing more than a bag of air with padding and no reason to cost so much at all aside from very high markup. They are NOT life support because you can dive entirely well without a BC. N

scuba_moron:
Yes, that is correct. I personally have no problem with hard goods made in China. In fact, China is becoming the world's manufacturer. Nonetheless, there are misconceptions even amongst the native Chinese in China. Did you know the wealthy Chinese will not step foot into Walmart in China? The reason being that they have disposable cash to buy foreign goods.

Good point to bring Wal-Mart case.

Do you know that the biggest pressure to cost down the price is from U.S. based importer companies like Wal-Mart. If there is one cent difference on the price, Wal-mart doesn't hesitate to change their OEM suppliers in China. That is the Wal-Mart's way of business. That is an exact reason why there are a lot of craps in Wal-Mart shelves and they are also killing all small U.S. importers at the same time because nobody can't beat Wal-Mart price.

Sure, many Chinies also knows that Wal-Mart is also manufacturing a lot of craps...:eyebrow:

My point is that there is no reason to blame a "main in china" product as long as it is imported by U.S. based importer. And, most divers can't afford the gear price without expecting an OEM products in this industry.

Seriously read the book and see how much author had to spend more moeny to avoid a "Maid In China" product in U.S.

mattboy:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want a wing with 55lbs of lift for a flower gardens trip? I'm having a tough time picturing it. Even with big double steels, you can't be wearing too thick a wetsuit this time of year.

With wings, in general the smaller you can get away with, the better.

.... I've been using a 51 lbs Dive Rite Dual Rec wing for the last 3 years now..... the main Oxycheq improvements for me will be the 'Extreme' material and the donut bladder..... this wing isn't 'for' the Flower Gardens...it's 'for' all my diving, larger steel single cylinders as well as small doubles...it's a good multipurpose wing...... and I don't mind having 'reserve' lift for an emergency.

Karl

MBH:
My single tank rig loads up like this-

Dive Rite SS BP $65.00
Dive Rite Hog harness with proper d-rings and buckle $35.00
DSS serrated tri-glides $3.00
Oxycheq Mach-V 30# wing $340.00
Dive Rite STA $45.00

$488.00 bucks give or take a few dollars.

The technical divers that I know are NOT into having unprotected financial sex with the equipment manufacturers and local dive shops.
And you could have done quite a bit better. ScubaToys has the Oxycheq Mach V for $285... and they have a 10% discount for ScubaBoard members. So knock $83 off your price and you could have had that rig for a cool $405.

I'll note the OP is now saying the $650 figure included an AirSource, which I'm guessing is like an Air2? Without getting to the merits, that would certainly raise the cost a bit, since you're buying a regulator along with the BC.

MSilvia:
Good question. Dual bladder no less. As for the "Extreme" fabric, I don't get that either. Good ballistic nylon is more than adequate IMHO... it's not like anyone's going to be taking a chainsaw your wing.

It seems someone likes to be generous with their overkill.

Apparently, some BP/Wing combos cost $600+ simply because there are divers out there willing to pay ridiculous prices for gear that greatly exceeds what they actually have a use for.

..... the Oxycheq wing had many advantages for me:

1) it's very suitable for single tanks or medium sized doubles
2) it has the 'donut' bladder design I prefer
3) dual bladders for safety/redundancy ( I'm not yet diving a drysuit )
4) the 'Extreme' material was a nice 'bonus' to go ahead and order as the incremental price difference was worth it to me.
5) the lift @ 55 lbs is a hard moderate lift capacity to find in a dual bladder wing, most dual wings are substantially larger and that wasn't what I needed.

Karl

Hammerhead plate, DIY Hogarthian harness, used OMS wing with bungees removed, total cost $310.

scubafanatic:
..... the Oxycheq wing had many advantages for me:

1) it's very suitable for single tanks or medium sized doubles

5) the lift @ 55 lbs is a hard moderate lift capacity to find in a dual bladder wing, most dual wings are substantially larger and that wasn't what I needed.

Karl

As I see on the website, this is basically 2x55 lbs lift, so that's not such moderate lift capacity in my book, as the size of that particular wing must account for both wings somehow?

Also, suitable for single tanks is the last thing I'd call a dual bladder 55 lbs wing, but hey...

evil_xander:
As I see on the website, this is basically 2x55 lbs lift, so that's not such moderate lift capacity in my book, as the size of that particular wing must account for both wings somehow?
I think the dual bladder wing is the same size as the single bladder wing... I don't believe it's meant to accomodate both bladders being filled at the same time. As scubafanatic said, if you aren't diving dry, it's a good way to get some redundant lift. I can see that, and as far as the fabric goes... even if I think it's excessive, it's hard to fault someone for wanting more durable materials when they're available.
evil_xander:
Also, suitable for single tanks is the last thing I'd call a dual bladder 55 lbs wing, but hey...
That, I agree with. I dive (extremely negative) double Asahi HP100s and a deco bottle with a 42# wing, and find it more than adequate. I tried diving singles with a 55# wing before, and I felt like a circus clown (ridiculously big shoes analogy). That's almost twice as much lift as I use when diving a single tank and slung AL40. It will work, but if you really believe it's "very suitable" there must be something about the way you dive that's very different from the way I do. Do you dive a balanced rig? Have you ever used a 30# singles wing? Do you not find you have a problem with tacoing? I don't get what all the lift is for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom