How do these LDS Reg prices seem to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichiganDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver, and my LDS recommends a reg as a good first piece of owned equipment, for many obvious reasons. They are steering me toward the following:

Aqualung Legend LX $640
Aqualung Titan LX $400
Atomic Z2 $459
Atomic B2 $739

They also recommend a secondary air source rather than an octopus (I hope I'm phrasing that right -- I mean the hose on the BC is used for a secondary supply.)

They recommend an Atomic SSI for $220 (hope I got the model right -- my notes aren't great).

These prices seem pretty high to me. Neither Aqualung nor Atomic allows their regulators to be sold mail- or web-order, so I can't really shop around to compare prices. Not a lot of competition where I live. Tomorrow I'm going to ask them to show me their cheapest regs.

What do you think? As is endlessly discussed on the board, I'd like to give the LDS my business, as long as they're not giving me the business. :11:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding the inflater/alternate 2nd stage combo I suggest you do some reading on the topic so you can formulate your own opinion. There are 2 very real schools of thought on the topic and you should not just accept the recommendation of the LDS. Another equally reputable shop down the street could very well suggest exactly the opposite.

Here is a starting point:http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1169848&postcount=3

As for the prices The Aqualung Legend LX is $384. at Leisure Pro. The Titan LX is $249. I'm not suggesting that the LDS should be able to sell at the same price and provide fresh, tested gear but they need to close the gap, perhaps 1/2 way. Those prices are considerably over what LP claims is the list price.

Pete

I agree with awap for the price checking but spectrum brings up a good point too. Do some research and learn before you buy.

Thanks for the links. The Leisure Pro information is a good reference. I, too, am willing to pay something extra to support the LDS -- just not hundreds.

I appreciate the comment regarding the inflater/alternate 2nd stage combo. I will read up.

(Man, you guys are quick!)

Atomic Z2 should be $429 or less. That's the price sold online. Atomics are sold online go to their web site and click on their "Shop Online" button on the bottom right hand corner.

Cheers.

-J.-

If you plan to pay a full retail price, go with Atomic line. IMHO, it is better than AquaLung...

They're $30 higher on both Atomics than what you can get them for through Atomic online. Which is really Shopatron. But you might save the sales tax ordering online.

ok for the second supply personaly.. i like it on the bc it means 1 less hose hangeing off of you but its not convenat for your buddy as he has to take your primary.. and you breath off it.. were and oct he just grabs it and goes.. for reg recovery skill haveing an oct is a pain as you usaly get both regs.. but with the secondary on the bcd you have a snorkale in the way.. which i happend to use while doing my class as you had to pratice handing your reg to your buddy who is out of air.. and breathing on a snorkle after clearing it and trying to breath off of it and then haveing the instructor rushing over offering me his oct.. but i was fine i knew i had air there somewere so i just switched over and grabed my secondary..

i find that the secondarys on the bcd seem too breath easyer... but if you do solo diving a secondary on your bcd or cave diving seems smarter.. i sugest you try both and see what you like.. at frist i tried my oct i didnt like it as it seemed like it was getting in the way but you get used to it..

List price on th B2 is 699.00. They must be charging you that plus freight. Most Atomic dealers that I know of will give a 10 to 20% discount off of list but either way, Atomic rocks and is worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom