How do these LDS Reg prices seem to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
AL LX at LDS is $640. AL LX at Leisurepro is 384. Is the AL warrenty worth $257?
To me, the limited lifetime warrenty conditional on paying annual rent (serve labor fee) is a scam.

Aqualung's warranty policy is crazy :shakehead ...go with the Atomic their warranty states:

"This warranty is not contingent upon obtaining annual service, and will maintain in effect for the lifetime of the original owner. It is recommended however that maintenance include an annual safety inspection to be performed by an authorized Atomic Aquatics dealer or by the factory. Factory or authorized dealer servicing is required at intervals of 300 dive hours or 2 years, whichever occurs first. This service will include disassembly, cleaning, replacement and lubrication of all o-rings and seals, and safety check."

http://www.atomicaquatics.com/warranty.html

Cheers.

-J.-

MichiganDiver:
Well, now I am looking around at other sources. My LDS can service Atomic, Scuba Pro, and Aqualung regulators. They told me the will only service equipment with valid US warranties. I am aware that LeisurePro cannot provide a manufacturer's warranty with many of their products. If I buy a used regulator (or if someone gives me one), does the manufacturer's warranty transfer with it (assuming it's been maintained and has paperwork)? I realize that different manufacturer's policies may vary, but can you answer the question in general? Do most LDSs have such restrictive policies on servicing regulators? Can you send your regulator to another dive shop (or internet retailer) for service? Would you?

Used regulators warranties don't transfer.

Why buy used? Here's why I ask.

If you buy used, you'll want to get it service before you use it. Figure $50 to $60 for labor and $50 to $60 for parts. So $100 to $120 total. hopefully your used cost was at least $120 below new cost, or you got screwed.

Most regulators come with 'free parts for life' warranties. This pays for your parts during annual service. you still pay labor. So again parts are $50 to $60 per year. Over a 5 year period, which is a good time period for this comparision, you'll pay $250 to $300 extra for regulator parts that are otherwise included in the warranty with a new regulator.

Now lets add that up. $100 to $120 original service cost plus $250 to $300 in parts over five years. that's $350 to $420 total in costs of service parts that is EXTRA for a used regulator if you service every year.

Now did you save that much in the cost of buying it used? prob not.

Just something to think about. Please feel free to PAYPAL that amount to me if you've got got money to burn. :D

I just recently purchased my regulator and octo at the LDS that I have been trained through and purchased everything else from including trips. I felt they gave me a good deal. I bought the Atomic B2 for $595 which was 15% off of list price. I also got the Aqualung ABS Octo for $106 and an Aeris Elite T3 for 15% off list prices. I'm sure I could have gotten it all for a little less had I shopped around but this LDS has always been very good to me and I feel it's important to support them.

I'm testing them in the pool tonight and then off to Cozumel on Saturday the 17th for the first time! I can't wait! :)

ScorpioScuba: I'm glad you are getting good service from your LDS. I just don't get the good vibe when I walk into mine. I'm not generally a paranoid type, but I feel like this shop knows they are the only one around, so they have no great incentive to seek the win-win solution. I don't think that's a real sustainable business model.

(Have fun in Cozumel. I can hardly wait for my trip, and it's over a month away!)

Mike_S: I appreciate your explanation of the hidden costs of buying a used regulator. If I had more trust in my LDS, I would take these questions to them to learn about warranties and so on. I'm truly saddened that I feel so suspicious of them I'm reluctant to ask these questions. Now, what Paypal account do you want me to send my burnable cash to? :)

hi,

I just bought the Legend LX Supreme ACD for $600 with 5 years of FOC service, including Nitrox pressure Gauge.

Still you can find a good deal sometimes on a used regulator. it's often a good step to do until you figure out what you really want. (then you can just sell the used one again. (or trade it in). If you do that you really don't have to be as panic'd about servicing it every year. You'd still want to service it the first time unless you knew who it came from and how it'd been used, and when last serviced.

or you could keep the used one as a spare or pony reg later on. (Many of us have a spare reg).

I'll PM you my PayPal address. Free free to make monthly deposits. :D

DavidB:
hi,

I just bought the Legend LX Supreme ACD for $600 with 5 years of FOC service, including Nitrox pressure Gauge.

That doesn't sound like a bad deal. The reg is normally priced at $610. 5 years of service labor would run you average $50 labor per year, a savings of $250. The pressure gauge is worth an extra $50 to $150 depending on brand.

BTW... any pressure gauge will worth with Nitrox up to 40%. Above 40% it's reccomended to o2 clean them.

mike_s:
Used regulators warranties don't transfer.

Why buy used? Here's why I ask.

If you buy used, you'll want to get it service before you use it. Figure $50 to $60 for labor and $50 to $60 for parts. So $100 to $120 total. hopefully your used cost was at least $120 below new cost, or you got screwed.

Most regulators come with 'free parts for life' warranties. This pays for your parts during annual service. you still pay labor. So again parts are $50 to $60 per year. Over a 5 year period, which is a good time period for this comparision, you'll pay $250 to $300 extra for regulator parts that are otherwise included in the warranty with a new regulator.

Now lets add that up. $100 to $120 original service cost plus $250 to $300 in parts over five years. that's $350 to $420 total in costs of service parts that is EXTRA for a used regulator if you service every year.

Now did you save that much in the cost of buying it used? prob not.

Just something to think about. Please feel free to PAYPAL that amount to me if you've got got money to burn. :D

If you are going to service annualy IAW mfgr requirements to maintain the warrenty and the part-for-life benefit, then it is important to buy from an authorized dealer. Then it is just a matter of finding an LDS that will provide a good deal (about 10% off MSRP) rather than one that will take advantage of you.

But with good user care and perhaps some user level tuning and maintenance, annual rebuilds are simply unnecessary. I have found it is easy to get at least 2 years use from "annual" service parts and 3 to 5 years seems to be the norm for me with older Scubapro regulators. Parts for my regs run $10 to $15 per stage (Mk10 and R109 kits about $10 each and the R156 kit about $15). Typical labor charges will run $15 to $25 per stage. I believe AL is a bit prouder of their annual service kits so the estimate of $60 for parts may be better for that brand. So using the $60 service fee, servicing every other year and paying for parts would cost the same as servicing every year with free parts and the ownership cost would just be the $200+ savings from buying grey market ve authorized dealer. If you go more than 2 years between service, the cost savings continues to grow with the grey market purchase.

So the authorized dealer vs grey market reg is not that simple of a decision. If you are not comfortable with the idea of extenting service intervals, taking good care of your gear, and even learning to do some simple work yourself and you intend to stick with diving and that gear for 5 years or so; then the authorized dealer is right for you. Otherwise, saving $$$ up front on the initial purchase and down the road with periodic service costs may be the course you should consider.

BTW, most of my regulators were purchased used. The savings can easily run 50% to 80% off the cost of new. But you need to k now what you are doing and it is best if you do your own servicing. I can't imagine ever buying another new regulator.

AWAP, I agree that annual service is not needed as long as you take care of your gear. however, for those that want to keep it in warranty, it's a manufacturers requirement. If you want to service it every couple years it should be fine though like you said.

AL is more proud of their parts. Service kits run $50 to $60. I think I paid about $55 for my last one. (maybe it was $50).

BTW..... I've got one reg that I service every year and one that I don't. Purely based on usage.

Do you agree that my LDS' policy of only servicing regs that have valid US warranty (which, I assume, means that the warranty has been maintained by following the service schedule) is uncommonly restrictive? I suppose if my sister gave me her old reg, then my LDS would not service it even though she maintained it.

MichiganDiver:
Do you agree that my LDS' policy of only servicing regs that have valid US warranty (which, I assume, means that the warranty has been maintained by following the service schedule) is uncommonly restrictive? I suppose if my sister gave me her old reg, then my LDS would not service it even though she maintained it.

Your LDS should service anything they are capable of servicing that comes their way. I think what they're saying is if you bought Aqualung regs from say DiveInn.com in Spain, they wouldn't service it with the free parts but there's no reason they couldn't service it if you paid for both parts and labor. If they're not doing the latter, they're not very astute in a business sense and I'd find another LDS.....

Back
Top Bottom