How do these LDS Reg prices seem to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichiganDiver:
Do you agree that my LDS' policy of only servicing regs that have valid US warranty (which, I assume, means that the warranty has been maintained by following the service schedule) is uncommonly restrictive? I suppose if my sister gave me her old reg, then my LDS would not service it even though she maintained it.

I believe what they are primarily trying to do is coerce you into not buying from Leisurepro and into buying from them. In between those 2 cases, I imagine you would get a cold reception and perhaps rejection. If your uncle found these old regs in his attic and gave them to you, they might service them (maybe at an increased price). Or if your brother who is stationed in Europe with the military bought you these new regs for your birthday at a European DS (not a USA authorized dealer so no USA warrenty), again they might service them. But if you came in with that same set of regs from a great ebay deal or from diveinn.com (authorized internet dealer in Spain) they would likely send you packing just to teach you and other new divers (they'd be telling the story) a lesson.

The lesson you need to learn is find another place to take your scuba business.

I find their behavior totally unacceptable. That is the kind of shop that needs to go out of business and make room for a good LDS.

sjspeck:
They're $30 higher on both Atomics than what you can get them for through Atomic online. Which is really Shopatron. But you might save the sales tax ordering online.

Check their shipping rates, return policy and annual service agreement before you purchase. Also note that there is a $40 difference for the sealed first stage option on the Atomic Z2, that brings the web price to $469. Atomic regulators have several configuration options, all add cost to the package price.

In the end, try to give your LDS a shot at the sale. Tell them what you can get the reg you want for and see what you can negotiate. A good way of making a price deal is to take a price difference in air fills. Most LDS's will go this route to keep a customer sale.
:monkeydan

MichiganDiver:
Do you agree that my LDS' policy of only servicing regs that have valid US warranty (which, I assume, means that the warranty has been maintained by following the service schedule) is uncommonly restrictive? I suppose if my sister gave me her old reg, then my LDS would not service it even though she maintained it.

It may be that they can not honor a particular warranty. For example ScubaPro has a lifetime warranty, basically free parts you just pay the labor, but this is only valid when the reg is purchased directly through a brick and motor authorized SB dealer (no internet, mail-order or private sales). The dive center will service it, but can not get reimbursed by SB for the parts under the warranty.

I do not like the fact that many of these manufactures have laid down such strict guidelines, but I can see thier goal; keep the LDS's open and the perceived quality of thier products high. When you get an Internet deal on a refurbished or discontinued reg, like the ATX 200 (discontinued by Apeks) for under $400 it is hard to justify paying $700 for the XTX 200 (the latest edition of the regulator). It is not that the XTX 200 is overpriced, it is one heck of a reg, but newer divers can perceive it that way.

If your LDS goes under because their customer base shops on the web for everything, where are you going to get air fills, training, advice and trips?

dschulte:
If your LDS goes under because their customer base shops on the web for everything, where are you going to get air fills, training, advice and trips?

From a smarter operation that is run like a professional business that will seize the opportunity to fill the void if the need exists. From a shop that takes on the competition and does OK.

in_cavediver:
Here's another take - There are regs out there that do not jack you around with servicing and parts etc. They also have service manuals available and parts kits available for individual divers. That, and they are cost cometitive.

Look at Dive Rites.
RG2500 (Link to my favorite Distant Dive Shop for the brick and mortar support)

I'll counter that with my not so distant LDS and purveyor of DR goods: http://www.diveriteexpress.com (and they are a Scubaboard sponsor too)

awap:
From a smarter operation that is run like a professional business that will seize the opportunity to fill the void if the need exists. From a shop that takes on the competition and does OK.

How does your LDS stack up to LeisurePro, Scuba.com, Divers Supply, etc.? What type of discount would they give to a new customer walking in and wanting to purchase a reg like an AquaLung Legend LX ACD Supreme Regulator?

LeisurePro price $464.95 (plus about $15 for shipping, 7-10 day UPS). My LDS sells it for $520 plus tax. Suggested retail from AL is $610. Non-tiered price from a AL distributor is $460 plus shipping. The LDS makes around $50 on the $520 sale (after you deduct shipping costs from the distributor). That is less than 10% profit to keep the lights on and the roof up. Not sure how you can get more competitive than that from an inland dive shop, specializing in only scuba.

awap:
AL LX at LDS is $640. AL LX at Leisurepro is 384. Is the AL warrenty worth $257?
To me, the limited lifetime warrenty conditional on paying annual rent (serve labor fee) is a scam.[/QUOTE

Depends on the deal

I also get reduced service costs, lifetime parts and easy of mind. Although when I bought you could find a Authorized dealer that was close to Leisurepro prices. :D

dschulte:
How does your LDS stack up to LeisurePro, Scuba.com, Divers Supply, etc.? What type of discount would they give to a new customer walking in and wanting to purchase a reg like an AquaLung Legend LX ACD Supreme Regulator?

He always get the chance to compete for major purchases. If he can't offer a reasonable deal, he will tell me to go ahead and order from LP. No attitude and no hard feelings.

I've sent brand new customers to him and he treats them the same way. He is running a great deal right now for new divers (or others who are interested in a major purchase). Buy a complete package (Regs, BC, and guages w/computer) and receive free service (parts & labor) for life on the reg & BC. That is an LDS that is willing to compete in today's scuba market.

So what does your shop do to compete with Leisurepro?

BTW, if LP is selling a reg for $465, then it probably wholesaled for about $300 and they payed about $330 for it with their suppliers making 10%. If your LDS is only making $50 when they retail it for $520, they should look into some other brands.

Edit: dschulte - Your shop's price is a big step in the right direction to effectively compete with grey market dealers. My ? was mostly for other readers.

dschulte:

LeisurePro price $464.95 (plus about $15 for shipping, 7-10 day UPS). My LDS sells it for $520 plus tax. Suggested retail from AL is $610. Non-tiered price from a AL distributor is $460 plus shipping. The LDS makes around $50 on the $520 sale (after you deduct shipping costs from the distributor). That is less than 10% profit to keep the lights on and the roof up. Not sure how you can get more competitive than that from an inland dive shop, specializing in only scuba.

$520 isn't a bad price for a Legend LX Supreme. But it's only abou5 15% off list.

You could buy it for 30% off list from a certain dive shop until AL yanked their dealership for pricing and political reasons. (they were afraid that a dealer selling it for 30% off would cause problems and they try to restrict dealers from giving any discount). 30% off would make it about $427. So that shows that the distributor cost is below $460.

Also LP's price of $464 show's the distributor cost is below $460. LP wouldn't be selling it for a $4 or $5 profit.

Maybe a 'onesy, twosey' ordering shop has to pay distributor cost of $460 for it, but any shop that ordered it in volume is getting it for under $400. That includes LP and anyone else who moves a lot of regs.

Back
Top Bottom