how old is your C Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naui 1998

I'm still green compared to most of you! I dove with a guy this weekend who was certified in 1977, the year I was born.

Gary D. - Navy divers are always so hansome! I guess I'm in trouble - I live in Panama City Beach and we have a Navy dive school right around the corner.

PADI 1990. Those cards were paper (badly) laminated in plastic, ours delaminated over the years and got wet inside. I finally broke down and forked over for new cards so I didn't have to keep gluing them back together.

Nay:
.... much better haircut than our navy boys get now. :11:
Uncle Elmo came along in the early '70s & let us all grow beards, something that was normally only allowed while underway.
Got my chambray permanent pressed shirts at Sears, wore Seafarer bellbottoms, and Wellington boots. The only part of my daily uniform that was standard Navy issue was the belt, & even the buckle was non-issue, it had a little Whitehead torpedo on it.
Silk gaberdine dress blues from the Kowloon district in HK for liberty. Ahhh yes, well dressed we were. :D

Mine: 1989 SSI
My dad's: 1971 NAUI, which means much more to me than my own.

original scuba class was in 1975, but couldn't get a card till 1976, when I turned 16.

Damn..I just realized I have been diving for 30 years....now I DO feel old!

1988 Ymca

Maya:
original scuba class was in 1975, but couldn't get a card till 1976, when I turned 16.

Damn..I just realized I have been diving for 30 years....now I DO feel old!
"You're only as old as you feel" someone once said. I've been diving over 30 years too and everytime I jumb into the water I feel young again. I may not take as many risks as some of our young TECH types do but I have the knowledge and experience to say "been there and done that 20 years ago" WITHOUT your fancy mixed gas tanks and a computer .

I still have my NAUI Basic card from 1971 and YMCA instructor card from 1976. How about some 72 cft. single tank bounce dives on old Navy Deco tables with those astonishingly large depth increments? When was the last time someone provoked a fight a dive shop for lack of a C-card? It used to be fairly common at one time. It is very good that some things change!

Back
Top Bottom