I want to buy a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gusfedgar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everybody, I am going to buy a dive computer and am between uwatecs luna, meridian or Suunto. Which from your experience would be the best, without to much input about the price.
Thank you for your replies.:confused:

What is important to you? Your profile indicates you're just getting started diving. . .

Simplicity?
Console or Wrist?
Size of display?
Color (OLED) display?
Multiple gas switches?
Air integration ?
Download to your computer?

My advice would to buy something simple and inexpensive. Dive with it for a while and then decide what you really want.

A case in point. I just picked up a 'used' Suunto Air with 0 dives, a pressure sender and a download cable for US$200. It was too complicated for the previous owner. Start off with something simple (I would suggest a Suunto Zoop).

If price is not a big issue and you are a new diver that would like to reduce task loading I don't know that you can beat the cobalt atomic.

What John said. I'm on my 3rd computer in 3 years. Maybe I got it right this time.

Whatever model you buy, just make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I would strongly recommend the Scubapro Galileo Luna. It is an excellent dive computer.

As a newer diver I'd recommend you hold off on a computer and get a simple bottom timer and dive tables. Unless your buoyancy and trim are already spot on. If they are and you really will need a computer get the simplest one you can find. Something like this.
Oceanic "Veo 180" Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer or this one
Aeris XR1 NX Wrist Computer

Will do everything you need as a new diver and easily take you up to pro levels and make a good back up if you go the tech route. There is absolutely no reason to spend more than a couple hundred for a computer at this point in your diving. Use the money you save to get more dives in. Buy a tank or two even. But a thousand dollar computer is just overkill and bling. And the more expensive you get the more complicated many get.
And at the price Leisure Pro has for those two above I may buy one just to have as a back up for student use. That's cheap for those computers!

Unless you go for a Shearwater Predator or Petrel. Both of these are easy to use. The manual looks like it was written by a diver instead of lawyer and engineer. And Dive Nav has a class for the Predator.

If you can afford the best, then it does make sense to invest in the Scubapro Galileo Luna, an air-integrated hoseless dive computer.

The Luna is very easy to use and to read U/W. It is very steamlined, being hoseless. The software is upgradable, so it can grow with your diving needs.

The Luna is very robust and will last you for many years of diving.

After 8 years of diving. Lots of detailed research. And thanks to a good friend and dealer at www.divegirlscuba.com - Sue Smith.
I was able and willing to buy the best this year - Shearwater Predator.
Predator-OC-SA-Front1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom