igills new iphone case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...... and the pressure sensor is a $5 part......
Did you try buying one? Pressure sensors are way more expensive than $5 ....
And, if you can get them at $5, I would gladly buy 10,000 at $6 from You :wink:

...... The fact that it's also a camera and dive log is a nice bonus.......
I agree on this one.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

My Oceanic Veo 2.0 warranty states it needs a 1 year service to maintain its 2 year warranty. So I did.

I can save you $75, less the cost of a battery.

Any gear with an o-ring (e.g., camera, my Sherwood computers, etc.) is easy to maintain. Remove the o-ring carefully using a flat, blunt object (like a very small nail file) or even a toothpick. Sometimes you can pinch the o-ring together to make a bit of it rise out of its groove at which point you can grab it with your fingers. Rub the o-ring clean and dry with a lint-free cloth like camera lens wipes or even a paper towel. Inspect the o-ring for nicks, cuts or cracks and replace if necessary. Clean out the groove the o-ring sits in and any surfaces against which it presses to make a seal - cotton-tipped swabs or folded paper towels work well for this. You can dig crud out with a toothpick but that should not be necessary. Finally, apply a very small amount of silicon grease to the o-ring (only) and rub it around the ring until it is uniformly shiny. Use more grease if necessary, but there should be no extra "globs" of grease anywhere on the ring - it should look neat and uniformly shiny with no obvious excess of grease. Reassemble.

I started diving and wanted a BIG AI console, now a hundred dives later I use a wrist computer and a SPG. I sure don't want to bring my phone along, that's why I dive to get away from it!

Point is... you put it in the case and it's no longer a phone; it's a dive computer. I wouldnt expect to get any calls in airplane mode 60 feet under.

---------- Post Merged at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I cant believe all the negativity on this; particularly the comments about it possibly leaking. Gosh... point and shoot cameras in protective cases have been taken under for years. I have a GoPro in it's case that I've taken under 20 times down to 130 with no problems. Why would I think that this case is different.

Why I will be getting one:
1) It would be great to have photos and video integrated with the dive log automatically so I dont have to spend time afterward trying to remember what goes with what.
2) It's great that I wont have to look up GPS coordinates for the dive in Google to find out exactly where I dove
3) It's nice that the photos are geotagged with the GPS coordinates of point of entry.
4) It's great that I dont have to use some external device to extract and upload photos/video and dive log.
5) It's great that I dont have to worry about my phone being lifted from my car in Bonaire.

I will still use my dive computer as my primary source of real time data.

I currently have an iPhone 4S. But I have a perfectly functional 3GS gathering dust on my night stand. I seriously considering this as a backup using the 3GS.

Point is... you put it in the case and it's no longer a phone; it's a dive computer. I wouldnt expect to get any calls in airplane mode 60 feet under.

Way to make a first post!!! I like it. :D

---------- Post Merged at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:57 PM ----------

I cant believe all the negativity on this; particularly the comments about it possibly leaking. Gosh... point and shoot cameras in protective cases have been taken under for years. I have a GoPro in it's case that I've taken under 20 times down to 130 with no problems. Why would I think that this case is different.

1) It would be great to have photos and video integrated with the dive log automatically so I dont have to spend time afterward trying to remember what goes with what.
2) It's great that I wont have to look up GPS coordinates for the dive in Google to find out exactly where I dove
3) It's nice that the photos are geotagged with the GPS coordinates of point of entry.
4) It's great that I dont have to use some external device to extract and upload photos/video and dive log.
5) It's great that I dont have to worry about my phone being lifted from my car in Bonaire.

What about appointment reminders? What about reboots, lockups, and other annoyances? What about the fixed Nitrox settings tempting Johnny to dive a 32% setting when he is actually diving a 28 or 34 percent mix and gets bent or dies from oxtox?? Now what? Seriously if you REALLY think that by placing an iPhone in a waterproof case that it becomes a dive computer well I guess I cant convince you otherwise, and you are probably the target demographic for this device. My only hope is that nobody gets hurt in the process of discovering what a bad idea this is. I have posted my thoughts on this before so I wont rehash, but this thing keeps coming back up and at least for those that cannot see beyond their nose I feel compelled to point these issues out. Besides have you taken a look at any of the sample pictures/video? Pretty much anything taken below 20 feet or so is unusable and looks like garbage, so whats the point again? In my opinion you would be better off buying a 250 dollar puck computer, and a GoPro. THEN you would have a REAL dive computer, and a toy camera that is actually sometimes capable of taking some impressive shots. And I stand behind my statement - I almost never tell people how/what to dive, but if you showed up to dive on my boat, with this device as your only computer, you had better either have some manual tables going on, or be prepared to sit out the dives, and deal with being the butt of an awful lot of "joke" comments..

I hear you!
I personally think the negativity is coming from the iPhone HATERS.
And to them I say "Tough Ship, you should have bought an iPhone instead of that Droid".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom