igills new iphone case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thinking when signing up to beta test a similar smartphone based dive computer was this. I need a new computer, new wife to be just took over my old one. I really want a wrist mounted AI computer so it's easy to see while working with the camera. I just picked up a dedicated dual algorithm computer that is no frills and super cheap but along with a brass and glass SPG, meets all my actual requirements. So it's clipped on a dring just waiting for me should I encounter an issue with the smart phone based computer to salvage the rest of my diving day or LOB trip.

What I like most about using my phone is:

1) The display is much better than any OLED
2) USB cables are a thing of the past
3) The gadget factor is super high. I like the idea of geotagging dive sites for my log.
4) In app upgrades for things like CO/O2 meter, fish-ID, wreckipedia, etc
5) what should prove to be an excellent compass.
6) The level of customization and future functionality is virtually unlimited. Phone already runs vplanner, and many other dive related apps, which while not necessarily required under water are nice to have along for the day/week.

So would I treat it as "life support"? Hell no. But, for me, the new functionality is well worth the investment to bring it along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Would I rather use my $200 dive computer or risk my $800 iPhone? I'm sure it's a quality product, but I'm not the happiest about the risk. Also, the iPhone battery life isn't as long as my computer's battery.

This seems like a gimmick to separate nerd boys from their cash. If it makes them happy then power to them.

Reactions: TJF
I'm surprised at all the negative comments in this thread and the other - I also think it looks slick. The "computing" behind a dive computer isn't rocket science and the pressure sensor is a $5 part.

I wouldn't use this as a primary lifesaving device - however as a backup computer it looks great if the software is well done. I have a small collection of old iphones (from upgrades) and they all work fine, turning one into a dive computer seems pretty clever. The fact that it's also a camera and dive log is a nice bonus. (and waterproof boat camera, and potential emergency dialer etc)

Would I put my brand new under contract phone into it? Probably not. But would I put my iphone 4 which I'm just about to retire to use as a backup computer and fun underwater gadget? Definitely.

Here are the main reasons that I won't buy the case:

1. It won't let me replace my P&S underwater camera, so there will be no decrease in the amount of kit (or clutter) that I carry into the water with me. I don't doubt that the photo quality is similar (8 MP with iPhone 4s, 12 MP with my P&S) or that video quality is comparable (HD in both cases), but I stuck a huge, fast SD card into my camera to allow over an hour of HD video. Not only will my iPhone battery not last as long as my camera battery (especially when taking photos at depth with a flash) but I won't be able to shoot as much video (I have a 16 GB iPhone). A manufacturer of a similar product pointed out to me that I could wirelessly synch my phone with a computer to free up memory (photos and video) between dives but that strikes me as a PITA - do I really want to haul along a notebook computer?
  2. An iPhone case means that there is a bubble of air between your phone and the water. Anyone who has dove in caverns or overhead environments knows that light refracts at the air/water interface. If you are observing the cave roof thought an air-bubble at a perpendicular (90 degree) angle you can see the roof. If you observe it from a shallow angle (between zero and 49 degrees from perpendicular) the air bubble acts like a mirror, making the roof look like it is covered in a pool or mercury. This means that even if the case did not have a lip you would not be able to see your iPhone (the case would look like a mirror) unless you were observing it at an angle steeper than 49 degrees (see below);
  3. I am not going to ditch my wrist-mounted computer - it is solid, reliable, and has not malfunctioned on me yet. Plus, my wrist-mounted computer can be viewed from a variety of angles - I don't have to be nearly perpendicular to the face (this is a minor convenience); and
  4. I am not going to ditch my wrist-mounted wrist-mounted compass - it is solid, reliable, and has not malfunctioned on me yet. Plus, my wrist-mounted compass can be viewed from a variety of angles. If you use your compass a fair bit you will know that this is a major convenience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone read their Apple Care iPhone agreement lately?

Sec. 4.1:
(ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) accident,
abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external causes, (c) operating
the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the
manufacturer,

Might want to stick to using your old iPhone 4's...

I'm surprised at all the negative comments in this thread and the other - I also think it looks slick. The "computing" behind a dive computer isn't rocket science and the pressure sensor is a $5 part.

I wouldn't use this as a primary lifesaving device - however as a backup computer it looks great if the software is well done. I have a small collection of old iphones (from upgrades) and they all work fine, turning one into a dive computer seems pretty clever. The fact that it's also a camera and dive log is a nice bonus. (and waterproof boat camera, and potential emergency dialer etc)

Would I put my brand new under contract phone into it? Probably not. But would I put my iphone 4 which I'm just about to retire to use as a backup computer and fun underwater gadget? Definitely.

OK, yes. I should consider a more positive scenario.

I haven't put in so many dives, and so it wasn't long ago I was doing the ocassional 'resort dives' and like. I dive once a year, on a warm vacation, sometimes only for a few days, and I must say it does BUG me that I need to service all my stuff on a yearly basis regardless of the fact that I may have only done 10 dives. A 500$ dive comp will cost 10% to 20% service (yes it may be less if you DIY) so that adds up if you use a dive computer when you only really need gauges. So I can see, that had I not have a fairly good computer, then I might well use this as 'backup' to a conventional gauge set, but use this so that I might be able to have a digital record and graphing capabilities. And to be fair, it is true that usb patch cables for most computers run to the $100 point alone.

Sadly, my old iphones are all toast, so I would be using my 'good' one.

I have never heard of getting a computer serviced, save for my replacing batteries. Many batteries are user swapable. What are you paying for??

I have never heard of getting a computer serviced, save for my replacing batteries. Many batteries are user swapable. What are you paying for??

That's what I want to know.

My Oceanic Veo 2.0 warranty states it needs a 1 year service to maintain its 2 year warranty. So I did.

$75 later I felt completely ripped off. The "best" value I got for my $75 was a battery change. Last I checked, those Sony button cells really aren't that expensive. I fail to see what else a LDS is capable of doing.

I fail to see what else a LDS is capable of doing.

They are fully certified to charge you $70 to put in a $5 battery in your PDC. Don't try this at home folks! :D

The very least they can do is a leak test and if they are really good they can pressure test it. If you leak test it at home and it does leak you could be out more than the $70-$75.

Personally I change all my own batteries, but I'm comfortable doing that and accept the risks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom