Integrated Octo or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Elan - Yes, have integrated inflator on doubles wings (and CCR wing so I can access on board diluent). With my doubles set up I have one reg with a second stage with a long hose and SS dog clip on one post and reg with a second stage and "normal" hose with a necklace on the other. Except for the modularity issue I would probably not bother with integrated inflator on doubles as there is already a spare second stage, although I guess if you were paranoid you might worry about having to supply 2 out of air divers at the same time (unlikely). Sharing gas on a long deco / swim out of overhead / in current (the dives you might be more likely to do with doubles) is significantly easier when donating a reg with a long hose, but my point was that I have found integrated octos a good alternative to a conventional octopus in some situations - especially no deco single tank diving. Just something that works for me. Another personal quirk is that I really like independent doubles ie without a manifold - for a number of reasons, but particularly because I do a lot of solo diving and diving in places were manifolds are hard to come by.

Regards

Ok I see now. So you basically have 3 second stages.

Yes - unless I am carrying stage cylinder/s (for example with rich deco mix - then there would be more). But yes with just the 2 back mount doubles I have three effective second stages - in this situation the integrated octo is a bit redundant however - but it does save swapping out hoses or leaving regs unused for long periods of time (so everything is modular) and I guess it does provide another source of gas if something really weird happens and for some reason the no other second stages is within reach (I can imagine such scenarios but they would be very unlikely and I would not normally plan gear configuration around such unlikely events).

Regards

I prefer to evaluate dive gear based on how it performs while diving as opposed to how convenient it is on land. Diving is an underwater sport, after all.

True that, but I spend enough time above water dealing with my gear--packing, transporting, setting up, tearing down, transporting and unpacking--that I think it's prudent to consider above water convenience. I don't do a lot of local diving, so I'm always evaluating gear at least in part on how well it travels, especially when it comes to my reg and bc.

In any case, I agree with you that underwater a dedicated inflator is more convenient.

Last edited:
I have been following the thread and only chimed in once. I like my SSI. I dive So Cal dive boats, kelp and occasionally Caribbean reefs. I have seen far too many instances of octo's dragging on coral; getting caught on Spectre's swim step in 6 ft. swell and getting tangled in kelp. Yes, everyone should have it stored properly. What you have tucked away during a big giant stride is not always as it ends up after hitting the water.

To each his/her own. After over a 1000 dives I still like having less to deal with in the water; but its just a preference! Reading this thread, its nice to know preferences are still allowed in the dive community.

I'm new, as in haven't finished my OW class yet. I haven't bought any gear beyond basic snorkel stuff.

I'm a proponent of simplifying, streamlining and reducing weight in the majority of my other hobbies (performance automotive, Radio Control models, computer building...). I agree that with proper training, it seems either system will work. I agree, with proper pre-dive planning and communication, your buddy(s) can learn and be aware of what your gear setup consists of and how it works and you familiarize yourself with theirs.

My gut feeling gravitates towards the 5' primary 2nd, 22"-24" 2nd on a necklace and standard BC inflater. Simplifying the training and coordination between a traditional octo and integrated is appealing as well as the modular gear factor. If you're on vacation and your integrated air or BCD has a problem rendering it unsafe, with the traditional setup, you could just don a run-of-the-mill BCD and still have a primary 2nd and octo 2nd - OR you insure you're so well trained, ingrained to the point of it being second nature (of course you should :wink: ) that you can share your primary 2nd with a OOA or panicked diver without both drowning.

Or, rather than trying to make a rational decision above board. Try both systems and see which you prefer. Maybe you can try both at your LDS in their pool or on a local dive? Maybe you buy both systems, try both and sell off the one you don't care for.

For me personally, I'll be renting for a while as a convenience and try-before-I-buy experience.

Back
Top Bottom