Is Cuba worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Trying to decide on my first Liveaboard, is Cuba worth the extra money or should I just go to the Bahamas?(I live in Florida)
I haven't been to Cuba, but I've researched it over the last few years. It's a complicated trip with logistics, entry visa, getting money, and travel time. I looked at what kind of travel insurance I should get, and here's a link with lots of good info. Traveling to Cuba as a US Citizen: 2023 Complete Guide

Going on a 6-hour bus ride from Havana to the boat is not very enticing (to me). Tourism and vacationing for U.S. citizens is not permitted in Cuba; however, there are 12 categories of travel that you can go there, and you must NEVER tell anyone anywhere that you're there on vacation because you risk going to jail. The liveaboards just want your money, so it's up to you to make sure you're staying within very specific travel parameters.

As your first liveaboard, I might suggest the Bahamas. Allstar Liveaboards has three boats in the Bahamas, my favorite being the Aquacat. I've done 5 trips and it was a lot of fun. The trip goes to Exuma and possibly Eleuthera, and you might get to swim with the pigs. The reef is suffering a bit from the SCTLD, but the liveaboard experience, the crew, and the food are amazing.

Have fun in whatever you choose!

I have had a number of people on the Avalon Outdoor liveaboards over the past two years and have had nothing but raves about the diving, the liveaboards, and Cuba in general. No challenges in any manner. If you want to turn a great dive trip into a political statement, I guess you are free to do so. My divers have enjoyed the people and visiting Havana. There have been no issues with flights on JeBlue, American, or Southwest out of MIA or Ft Lauderdale or customs except don't try to bring back rum or cigars. I offer discounts on all my liveaboard trips including Cuba.

I was one of Greg’s clients on the Avalon. It’s been a great trip.

Make sure you don’t bring back the cigars. Miami Customs office confiscated mine.

Newsflash - despite my family and political opinions, it is still illegal for Americans to travel to Cuba. I hope everyone breaking this law gets busted.

No one going to Cuba would break the law, as far as I know.

My assignment there was counting lionfish in every dives.

The only reason the embargo exists is because of people like @mcohen1021 living in Florida primarily.

It is sad that 11 million people have to suffer, have shortages of food and medicine, and so many leave their country of birth because of people like him.

Given that my grandfather was tortured by a US-backed regime, I'm educated enough about American foreign policy to debate this issue. The embargo is immoral and a violation of international law.

EDIT: it took a while for our Russian speaking/educated guide to tell us how the US destroyed the grapefruit industry that was highly lucrative for the country. This happened during the Nixon and Reagan administrations. There are previously fertile farmland that is a wasteland now, unfarmable for the foreseeable future. If you were a person of privilege under Batista, you certainly had it pretty bad under Castro, especially if Che got his hands on you. But the bulk of the Cuban people just want to live their lives. And during Castro, this did improve due to resources coming from the Soviet Union. Left to its devices and no support from abroad, Cuba would have collapsed under Castro, and what I see and what the Cubans shared with me is that the country is slowly collapsing. It is sad as it should be a much wealthier country with a sizeable and stable middle class.

Oh and news flash, the US had nuclear missiles in Turkey that they had to pull out as part of the agreement to settle the Cuban Missile Crisis (Cuban Missile Crisis | JFK Library). Though those nuclear missiles are back at the American base in Incirlik. We used to think the cause of ignorance was lack of information. yet now with the internet and so much information available, ignorance persists.

My family was FREE during Batista....

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! 🤬

Jesus, I'm bowing out, I can't deal with this level of ignorance and pure stupidity

My friend, Cubans ain't white enough for these folks to care about or give a fudge. If you were talking about WHITE European country, their attitude and tone would have been very different.

In addition to being a most terrible authoritarian regime, Fidel's Cuba was a regime that wanted to have nukes on its soil to nuke the bejesus out of these lovely American.

(Some folks here talk as if the ruling regime has turned Cuba into a dream heaven state).

(Some folks here talk as if the ruling regime has turned Cuba into a dream heaven state).
Literally nobody in the entire thread. The only people praising dictators, where the Batista's freedom fighters in Texas.
(Excluding the imaginary pro-Castro strawman introduced for false equivalency)
-----

I wonder if I should start a thread, asking if I should dive in Germany, just in hopes that an OG Argentinian-German will jump in letting me know about their feelings. Great content.

I wonder if I should start a thread, asking if I should dive in Germany, just in hopes that an OG Argentinian-German will jump in letting me know about their feelings. Great content.

How about starting one asking if you should dive in Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom