Is Cuba worth it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newsflash - despite my family and political opinions, it is still illegal for Americans to travel to Cuba. I hope everyone breaking this law gets busted.
Incorrect, it has never been illegal to travel to Cuba. What has been prohibited is trading with the "enemy." It has been implied that if one travels to Cuba then one is spending their money and thus trading with the "enemy."

For the OP is Cuba is worth it? Yes, spend time in and out of the water.

Incorrect, it has never been illegal to travel to Cuba. What has been prohibited is trading with the "enemy." It has been implied that if one travels to Cuba then one is spending their money and thus trading with the "enemy."

Per the federal government: Federal Register :: Request Access

Sorry, I must have forgotten how to read. Silly me.

Obviously, my opinion is uppopular, but just because you folks want to see old 50s cars retrofitted with tractor engines in Havana doesn't mean that you should find ways to circumvent the travel restriction and trade embargoes in place.

1684350428236.png

As a Canadian who has visited Cuba may I suggest you do not go.

As a Canadian who has visited Cuba may I suggest you do not go.
I disagree. I think American-born Cubans should go and see how incredibly pointless this embargo is. How it just makes ordinary Cubans suffer. If anyone think the leaders of Cuba suffer like the common people, they are sadly mistaken.

Now if such a person goes to Cuba, sees all the suffering and still thinks that the embargo should remain in place, then that person has absolutely no soul.

If the United States didn't have the Electoral College system and Florida wasn't a key swing state, then presidential candidates wouldn't pander to the Cubans living in Florida.

Time for Cuban-Americans (many of whom have never set foot in Cuba) to let the revolution go. Sure, their families lost a lot as a result of the revolution, but the Batista regime was incredibly corrupt and they benefited from that oppressive regime, so excuse me for not feeling sorry for them. While Castro was just another dictator, the people at least fared much better (at least when the Soviet Union was propping them up).

Cuba is just too defenseless to fight back in any way to the US embargo. Want to put an embargo on oppressive regime? Shall we try Saudi Arabia? Pakistan during military rule? Turkey? Yeah, didn't think so. So let's pick on a defenseless country!

Sure, their families lost a lot as a result of the revolution, but the Batista regime was incredibly corrupt and they benefited from that oppressive regime, so excuse me for not feeling sorry for them

My family was FREE during Batista....

While Castro was just another dictator, the people at least fared much better (at least when the Soviet Union was propping them up).

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!! 🤬

Jesus, I'm bowing out, I can't deal with this level of ignorance and pure stupidity

My family was FREE during Batista....
Man... that says more about your family than anything else. Your authoritatian attitude checks.

Maybe your opinion is a minority (thanfully), because most people, in the US and all over the world, would not feel as free living in a horrible dictatorship, unless if they were supporting it.
Now if such a person goes to Cuba, sees all the suffering and still thinks that the embargo should remain in place, then that person has absolutely no soul.
No reason for a person to visit Cuba to be against the embargo. The US according to the UN is violating international law with resolutions coming up every year the past like 30 years.

But nope, some "freedom" fighters are hoping that citizens who circumvent authoritarian legislation restricting one of their most basic rights will suffer, but they have no problem their country violating international law. Typical "law & order" mentality. Their families missing the good old days when they were living happpy and free, under one of the worst dictatorships that killed 10000's of the opposition (according to US data), is just the cherry on top.

Man... that says more about your family than anything else. Your authoritatian attitude checks.
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Maybe your opinion is a minority (thanfully), because most people, in the US and all over the world, would not feel as free living in a horrible dictatorship, unless if they were supporting it.
It is, but you have to understand the American Electoral College System
No reason for a person to visit Cuba to be against the embargo. The US according to the UN is violating international law with resolutions coming up every year the past like 30 years.
True, but then you really see the impact of it. How people struggle for food. The food situation was worse than what I saw in northwest Tanzania when I was with a medical team. In one of the villages (a place really), I was the first white person the children saw.

But nope, some "freedom" fighters are hoping that citizens who circumvent authoritarian legislation restricting one of their most basic rights will suffer, but they have no problem their country violating international law. Typical "law & order" mentality. Their families missing the good old days when they were living happpy and free, under one of the worst dictatorships that killed 10's of the opposition (according to US data), is just the cherry on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom