Is it a bad idea to dive with NO ditchable weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's one of the many reasons that I choose not to train those sorts of divers. Our divers make 12 dives in the previous 12 months or loose their diving status.

That's one tropical vacation trip each year... :wink:

Oddsnends:
First, let's limit the discussion to a standard open water recreational diver.

My point in that example is that if experienced divers couldn't ditch the ditchable weight they had on them, most recreational divers won't either...

That's one tropical vacation trip each year... :wink:
There's very little science to be done on one tropical vacation trip, we're in rather different boxes.
My point in that example is that if experienced divers couldn't ditch the ditchable weight they had on them, most recreational divers won't either...
Who said experienced or even well trained? You're trying to reference things that are not in evidence. Please deal with the logic of dead on the bottom vs. positively buoyant at the surface,

You keep beating about the bush ... first it's AGE, oh that's right it's not AGE, ... its panic, oh no, ... not panic, lack of skill, we can go on like that forever.

Let me suggest a two scenarios:

1) Diver at depth finds self in situation where he/she must abort the dive but fears unconsciousness will occur prior to reaching the surface.​

2) Diver at depth must momentarily remove BC​

OK. Scenario #1: Like what? Out of air? If out of air, we are trained in OW how to handle that situation, and I know it was a long time ago, but ditching weights was not the answer. Controlled emergency ascent or buddy's air.

Scenario #2 - we were also trained how to do that at depth in the OW class. I've actually done it, but with a weight integrated BC. Not easy, but do-able. This doesn't really qualify as a "ditchable" situation, does it?

Scenario #2 - we were also trained how to do that at depth in the OW class. I've actually done it, but with a weight integrated BC. Not easy, but do-able. This doesn't really qualify as a "ditchable" situation, does it?
No, but it can be a very telling argument for using a weight belt or harness as opposed to attached ballast on your rig.

OK. Scenario #1: Like what? Out of air? If out of air, we are trained in OW how to handle that situation, and I know it was a long time ago, but ditching weights was not the answer. Controlled emergency ascent or buddy's air.

You have altered the parameters. The scenario is specific. Diver must abort dive and makes assessment that unconsciousness will occur prior to surfacing.

In the scenario you presented, where a controlled emergency ascent or buddy's air are possible, I am in agreement.

It qualifies as "ditchable" as I have defined "ditchable weight" as a weight belt (not integrated).

You have altered the parameters. The scenario is specific. Diver must abort dive and makes assessment that unconsciousness will occur prior to surfacing.

In the scenario you presented, where a controlled emergency ascent or buddy's air are possible, I am in agreement.

It qualifies as "ditchable" as I have defined "ditchable weight" as a weight belt (not integrated).

But what sort of situation would bring about "abort dive and makes assessment that unconsciousness will occur prior to surfacing"? That is what I can't quite conceive of. Any ideas?

But what sort of situation would bring about "abort dive and makes assessment that unconsciousness will occur prior to surfacing"? That is what I can't quite conceive of. Any ideas?
Sudden onset of a facial twitch on a dive with a ppO2 at or above 1.4 would make me willing to sacrifice my lead.

Thal,

So you would have time to ditch weights and surface safely before you blacked out, once the facial twitch appeared? I say surface safely because dropping your weights and rushing to the surface may bring on additional, and equally severe problems. I guess it's what everyone needs to figure out for themselves.

But it is a good example. Also, agreed with your other point about temp removal of ditchable weights. It would have made my issue easier to have some ditchable and some not.

Sudden onset of a facial twitch on a dive with a ppO2 at or above 1.4 would make me willing to sacrifice my lead.

Why not just add air to the BCD? Two seconds on the inflator would yield the same result as dropping weight and allows a controlled ascent, once the twitching stops.

Does anyone have any firsthand information of a weight ditching incident in which that was the only viable option?

Actually, I witnessed a situation that would have likely turned out quite different had ditchable weights not been on board. This is circa 2001.

A local guy spearfishing in the Gulf of Mexico shot a fish that was a little too big for him. Instead of letting go of the fish (cutting the line or dropping the speargun), he fought with the fish and became partially entangled. As he started to swim himself to the surface, he got a cramp in his right leg. Working harder with the remaining leg, his second cramp started. While I don't completely understand the reasons, he could not inflate his BC (couldn't reach or couldn't find his inflator), but could reach one of his weight pockets. He found himself sinking, tangled in a lineshaft line, with a large live fish attached, with two cramped legs. Luckily, he was able to ditch one of his weight pockets. He became positive enough to rise to the surface. Today, he is fine and continues in insist that he "had it all in control".

This could have worked out much worse.

Now, you can make an argument that he made a LOT of mistakes. Many of these were the result of his hard-headed rejection of principles he had learned, and learned well, 100's of dives earlier in his open water and advanced open water training. Our instructors didn't teach him, but I am sure he learned the right skills. That doesn't matter. The concept of ditchable weights is a positive buoyancy remedy for when EVERYTHING else doesn't work....including a logical thought process and adequate prevention thoughts to avoid problems.

I am personally dismayed at the current trend to "get rid of the weight" on the belt or integrated weight system for open water diving. I think it may result in a trend of additional risk to typical recreational divers. In my opinion, open water diving should ALWAYS be done with some ditchable weight. I cannot fathom a recreational, open water instructor teaching anything to the contrary. There certainly will not be one working for me.

Phil Ellis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom