Jellys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
Can you provide a reference to this? I'd be interested to read more about this. I've never seen them or heard of any reports of them here...I even spoke to to the local FISH ID guru.

The only link I've been able to find on that jelly (not closely related to the Australian box jelly) times out when I try to access it. I have personally seen Portuguese Man o' Wars (Men o' War?) in the channel between PdC and Cozumel.

EDIT: Widening my seach yielded some more links, but the only one (so far) that quoted a range was this one:

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Carybdea_alata.html

and it only says "Jamaica; Kingston Harbor", but other sites report it as a problem in Hawaii.

Christi:
We do have jellyfish, but they are very small, not dangerous, and not prolific. Different people react differently to them if coming in contact with them. The typical reaction is slight skin irritation for an hour or less. A dive skin does not provide any thermal protection, so wearing it in warm water won't make you too "warm." It is a good idea to wear at least a skin for exposure protection however.

What Christi says is good enough for me. After all, she lives and works there!

Thermal protection isn't as issue for me. I have bioprene! :wink:

Hemlon:
Thermal protection isn't as issue for me. I have bioprene! :wink:

Are you refering to TPE tubing or an extra layer or two of body fat? If it's the latter, I'm right there with you. I dive a 2m shorty in Coz.

If I see someone in a full suit in Coz, I assume they need thermal protection. If I see them in a skin, I assume they need to protect themselves from their own inibiliaty to stay off the reef.

James

Disclaimer: The Animal Diversity Web is an educational resource written largely by and for college students. ADW doesn't cover all species in the world, nor does it include all the latest scientific information about organisms we describe. Though we edit our accounts for accuracy, we cannot guarantee all information in those accounts. While ADW staff and contributors provide references to books and websites that we believe are reputable, we cannot necessarily endorse the contents of references beyond our control.

I have eight years of post-graduate biological oceanography studies, dozens of cruises all over the world collecting gelatinous zooplankton, and am professionally employed as a taxonomist. Believe whatever you want to believe, its not my hide. Just trying to help.

Thalassamania:
I have eight years of post-graduate bological ocenography studies, dozens of crusies all over the world collecting gelatinous zooplanton, and am professional employed as a taxonomist. Believe whatever you want to believe, its not my hide. Just trying to help.

And I said
and it only says "Jamaica; Kingston Harbor", but other sites report it as a problem in Hawaii.
which I thought made it obvious that I think there is some doubt on the range they quoted.

The problem in Hawaii is, I believe, with a different genus of the box jelly.

Thalassamania:
I have eight years of post-graduate biological oceanography studies, dozens of cruises all over the world collecting gelatinous zooplankton, and am professionally employed as a taxonomist. Believe whatever you want to believe, its not my hide. Just trying to help.
Perhaps, we'd all be a little better off if you revised your profile to hilite the 3 things you are not an expert in? Or am I discrediting you, is there any area where you are not the leading authority? Last time I saw you post you were blasting a dive charter who wouldn't take your 9 year old diving in open water. IIRC, it turned out you had ranted and raved about it at the store and made a general fool of yourself becuase this op refused to break standards in deference to your CMAS card. I say this as a user: You need to check your ego at the door or find another door where everyone will bow down to your 50 years of godlike diving experience.

Yes, you are right, there is a caribbean version of the box jelly. Yes it is no where near as potent as the Aussie version. Yes your post was a clear troll. The Pacific Box Jelly kills more people than sharks, and only when anti-venom is not immediatly available. The Caribben version? Well it kills about as many people as wasps do... As Christi said...show us the proof that "deadly box jellies" are in Cozumel.

James

See what I mean? Link.

Back
Top Bottom