Jellys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
The problem in Hawaii is, I believe, with a different genus of the box jelly.

Not according to this site, and several others I have found:
http://www.jyi.org/features/ft.php?id=103

They specifically make the point that carybdea alata is "alien" to Hawaii, and some speculate that ships which use water for ballast have ferried them over from their native waters.

That's news to me, but thank you for the data. As you can see from the web site, this is an introduced species that does not belong there:
Carybdea alata received its name from its place of origin—the Caribbean. So how did these mysterious invaders reach Hawaii? Researchers have several theories, though none have been proven. Some believe that the medusae were carried in ballast water in ships. Others, including Culliney, think it is more likely that the polyps were transported by attaching to the bottom of ships. Whatever the method of arrival, this box jellyfish has now spread worldwide.

But more to the point, the OP asked:
I have been to Cozumel a few times and have never seen a jellyfish. But before I leave the diveskin at home, I thought I better ask.
I replied:
The range of the cubomedusa (box jellyfish or sea-wasps) includes Cozumel. This is an often small and unnoticed jelly that can sting very badly, even rarely kill.

All data that has been turned up after that supports this statement, to wit (from your latest find):
Hawaii’s C. alata is not the largest or the deadliest box jelly (a status reserved for the infamous sea wasp of Australia), but it is still a dangerous nuisance. Nearly every month brings a string of news reports about jellyfish stings, mostly on the southern and eastern shores of Oahu. For example, on a single day in July 2004, 318 people were stung at the tourist destination Waikiki, along with 45 stings at other beaches. No one is immune to a sting’s pain; as lifeguard Landy Blair told reporters in 2001, "I have sent 30-year-old muscular surfers in tears and with breathing difficulties to the hospital."
If, in light of the fact that C. alata's range is "the Caribbean" and the potent nature of its venom the OP chooses to take the risk on the say-so of a local instructor and Cozumel booster, that's fine.

If you missed the point then I guess you missed it.

But this is way off topic and you've chosen to make it personal. I will continue it in Bratface's "quit the board string," cause that's where I'm leaning right now.

Thalassamania:
If, in light of the fact that C. alata's range is "the Caribbean" and the potent nature of its venom the OP chooses to take the risk on the say-so of a local instructor and Cozumel booster, that's fine.

FWIW, I have been diving Cozumel for more than 15 years and I have neither seen nor heard of a single sting from or even an observation of this jelly. Speaking strictly for myself, I'll take the word of someone I know who dives those waters daily ("Cozumel booster" or no) over getting all paranoid from a post in an internet forum from a self-proclaimed expert whom I've never heard of.

As a matter of fact, she never said anything like "don't wear a skin", she just asked about the source of your information and pointed out that it was in variance to her experience.

Quoting Han Solo, "It was a stupid conversation, anyway." <blows up intercom with laser pistol>

ggunn:
FWIW, I have been diving Cozumel for more than 15 years and I have neither seen nor heard of a single sting from or even an observation of this jelly. Speaking strictly for myself, I'll take the word of someone I know who dives those waters daily ("Cozumel booster" or no) over getting all paranoid from a post in an internet forum from a self-proclaimed expert whom I've never heard of.
ggunn:

As a matter of fact, she never said anything like "don't wear a skin", she just asked about the source of your information and pointed out that it was in variance to her experience.

Quoting Han Solo, "It was a stupid conversation, anyway." <blows up intercom with laser pistol>

Gordon, I'm with you. A question was asked, I checked my references, which list Box Jelly range as "Caribbean" not "Eastern Caribbean" and remembered being rather badly stung off the Bahamas by one during Deep Rover operations, advised accordingly.

Christi seems a very nice person and from the post's I've read runs an excellent dive operation (she clearly has a good understanding of Mexican traffic law and liability - but that's another story I'll tell some time).

In the future when queried about Box Jellies in the Western Caribbean I'd add the anecdotal note that a dive operator in Cozumel say's that she's never seen one.

Everyone’s expertise here is “self-proclaimed,” your expertise to critique mine is self-proclaimed (if missplaced<G>), so what?

But just because my real life might fulfill someone else’s Walter Middy fantasies, that’s not my fault. I’d likely feel the same way if I were faced with life in a Dilbert cube rather than being able to travel the world almost at will on someone else’s nickel. It anyone wants satisfaction I’d be glad to accommodate them with sting rays at ten paces, put up or shut up.

<blows up intercom again, since it is still making squawking noises> ;^)

You can lead a horse to water, but you just can't make him lie down on the wrong side of a buttered bed.

Thas, I stated that I have not seen box jellies, nor have I heard of any reports of them, nor have I found any authoritative sources which provide evidence of their existence in Cozumel. I am sincerely interested to read more about this if true, from a reliable source. As of yet, you have not provided any solid sources for your claim nor have I been able to find anything to support your claim.

I may not be an "expert" on Cozumel or Caribbean waters, but as a business owner, dive operator, home owner, and full time resident on the island for 5+ years, I do try to keep apprised of news, information, conditions, etc. as related to my community and chosen profession. Additioanlly, I would think that my experience in these realms would give some weight to my statements. However, I guess that pales in comparison to your vast worldly experience.

So, until you (or someone) can provide authoritative proof of existence of box jellyfish in Cozumel, I will stand by my original statement.

And I respect your statement. As I noted earlier I will, whenever asked about the Western Caribbean mention your anecdotal report that in 5+ years of diving you've never seen one. I likely have a more global view than you do, but I never claimed to have more specific local knowledge concerning Cozumel. Cozumel is in the Caribbean, Box Jellies are listed, in several sources, as being cosmopolitan in the Caribbean, ipso facto Box Jellies are found in Cozumel.

I did not mean to insult you, but I've often seen local "authorities" (elected, appointed and self-appointed) deny the existence of everything from sewer outfalls to rampant dynamiting of fish, if they thought it might scare off the almighty tourist buck. Having read your posts on Mexican car insurance, that’s clearly not the case here and I humbly ask your forgiveness for any aspersion that I might have cast upon your knowledge or veracity.

Back
Top Bottom