Language in posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy reading y'all's posts about the Philippines and the diving there. When you slip into Tagalog sometimes I'm familiar enough with the phrase to follow it, sometimes (most of the time :) ) I'm not.
It doesn't bother me when you do it... but if it's something you want to share with the rest of us please do take the time to try to explain it in English. (Yeah, I know there are colloquialisms that can't be explained... I do live in the American South).
Don't stop using Tagalog - after all, for some ideas only Tagalog will do :)
Rick

I had a similar "discussion" with a few other members when Dutch divers started posting in their native language on SB. The other divers (English speakers) complained about that.

I agree that this is an international board, and that posts made within threads in forums dedicated to a certain region should be in whatever language the divers from that region feel most comfortable writing in. Of course posts in other non-region specific forums should be in a common language like English so all (or most) can understand them. If I am in a Dutch, Filipino or other forum, I don't get upset if the language is one I don't understand. I just get curious (or I run the post through one of the on-line translation services)!

Besides, you may be able to get a few "good ones" past the censors since censorship is based on English key words. Just teasing.

Dr. Bill! welcome to the PPD! We can teach you some nice terms which will make aubrey miles swooning all over you! :wink:

@gfisher: welcome to the PPD!!! Post more often here! And why not comeback sooner??? Nov 12, 2005.... :)

@ El Orans: I feel so cheated...I checked out the European Forum and all I got was english! I skimmed 4 pages back and didn't see a dang thing! Will try again tomorrow. I expect dutch. :)

I've been reading all these points about whether or not this forum should contain tagolog mixed in. I agree with all the pro's and only one of the cons (that referring to the importance of sharing pertinent information in English). Let's face it, the Philippines a mixture of Spanish, American and Native tongues. Why bother changing now?

For those who missed this article, it's pretty telling:

Wit of the Filipino
By Nury Vittachi
(From THE FAR EASTERN ECONOMIC REVIEW)

THERE'S A SIGN ON Congressional Avenue in Manila that says: "Parking
for Costumers Only." This may be a misspelling of "customer."
But the Philippine capital is so full of theatrical, brightly dressed
individuals that I prefer to think it may actually mean what it says.

This week, we'll take a reading tour of one of the most spirited
communities in Asia. The Philippines is full of wordplay. The local
accent, in which F and P are fairly interchangeable, is often used
very cleverly, such as at the flower shop in Diliman called Petal
Attraction. Much of the wordplay in the Philippines is deliberate,
with retailers favouring witty names, often based on Western
celebrities and movies. Reader Elgar Esteban found a bread shop
called Anita Bakery, a 24- hour restaurant called Doris Day and
Night, a garment shop called Elizabeth Tailoring and a hairdresser
called Felix The Cut.

Smart travellers can decipher initially baffling signs by simply
trying out a Taglish (Tagalog-English) accent, such as that used on
a sign at a restaurant in Cebu: "We Hab Sop-Drink In Can An In
Batol." A sewing accessories shop called Beads And Pieces also makes
use of the local accent.

Of course, there are also many signs with oddly chosen words, but
they are usually so entertaining that it would be a tragedy to "correct"
them. A reader named Antonio "Tonyboy" Ramon T. Ongsiako (now
there's a truly Filipino name) found the following:

In a restaurant in Baguio: "Wanted: Boy Waitress;" on a highway in
Pampanga: "We Make Modern Antique Furniture;" on the window of a
photography shop in Cabanatuan: "We Shoot You While You Wait;" on
the glass wall of an eatery in Panay Avenue in Manila: "Wanted:
Waiter, Cashier, Washier."

Some of the notices one sees are thought-provoking. A shoe store in
Pangasinan has a sign saying: "We Sell Imported Robber Shoes." Could
these be the sneakiest sort of sneakers? On a house in Jaro, Iloilo,
one finds a sign saying: "House For Rent, Fully Furnaced." Tonyboy
commented, "Boy, it must be hot in there."

Occasionally, the signs are quite poignant. Reader Gunilla Edlund
saw one at a ferry pier outside Davao, southern Philippines, which
said: "Adults: 1USD; Child: 50 cents; Cadavers: subject to
negotiation." But most are purely witty, and display a love of
Americana. Reader Robert Harland spotted a bakery named "Bread
Pitt," a Makati fast- food place selling maruya (banana fritters)
called "Maruya Carey," a water-engineering firm called "Christopher
Plumbing," a boutique called "The Way We Wear," a video rental shop
called "Leon King Video Rental," a restaurant in the Cainta district
of Rizal called "Caintacky Fried Chicken," a local burger restaurant
called "Mang Donald's," a doughnut shop called "MacDonuts," a shop
selling lumpia (meat parcels) in Makati called "Wrap and Roll," and
two butchers called "Meating Place and Meatropolis."

Tourists from Europe may be intrigued to discover shops
called "Holland Hopia" and "Poland Hopia." Both sell a type of
Chinese pastry called hopia. What's the story? The names are
explained thus: Holland Hopia is the domain of a man named Ho and
Poland Hopia is run by a man named Po.

People in the Philippines also redesign English to be more
efficient. "The creative confusion between language and culture
leads to more than just simple unintentional errors in syntax, but
in the adoption of new words," says reader Rob Goodfellow. He came
across a sign that said "House Fersallarend." Why use five words
(house for sale or rent) when two will do? Tonyboy Ongsiako explains
why there was so much wit in the Philippines. "We come from a
country where you require a sense of humour to survive," he
says. "We have a 24-hour comedy show here called the government and
a huge reserve of comedians made up mostly of politicians and bad
actors."

PPD should be a reflection of the above too.

My American sister-in-law always invokes the "all english rule" when we play mahjong (yes we taught her that). She thinks we're exchanging secret messages .... :shakehead ... naturally we do after she complains :D .

Besides, this is a public forum. If someone says something in Tagalog that's offensive to non-tagalog speaker, I'm sure someone will point this out as a matter of courtesy do.

:D

From an English only speaker's standpoint I don't mind the Tagolog only postings but I will usually not continue reading a thread that starts becoming Tagolog only. It all depends on whether you want to let in a broader audience to what you have to say. I frequently (about 2 times a year) travel to the Philippines for dive trips and am always on the lookout for more information on places to dive other than where I have been before on would appreciate local knowledge. I certainly wish I could learn languages easier but I would probably learn Vasayan over Tagolog as I spend most of my time diving on the Vasayan Islands there.

By the way anybody got feedback on live aboards for a Tabutaha reef trip? I've only found a couple of places on line that run boats out there.

You guys are lucky to live so close to great diving. Of course I think the Northwest U.S. is some of the most accessible shore diving you can get in North America.

thanks.

Jason

Thanks for the welcome, guys! All this talk about the Phillipines now has me hungry for fried lumpia!

It's funny; my parents (and various aunts and uncles) visited home last October, and were amazed how much things had changed in 30 years (no real surprise, I guess). but also how some things don't change (parts of Manila, taxi service, food markets). Then one of my Dad's nieces visited the US in March (first time here), and was amazed at how much open space the US has, land-wise, and seeing snow for the first time.

chip104:
@ El Orans: I feel so cheated...I checked out the European Forum and all I got was english! I skimmed 4 pages back and didn't see a dang thing! Will try again tomorrow. I expect dutch. :)
I'll send you a few links to Dutch threads...

drbill:
I had a similar "discussion" with a few other members when Dutch divers started posting in their native language on SB. The other divers (English speakers) complained about that.
As posted previously: I occasionally use Dutch in posts when I know that the recipient is or speaks Dutch. Usually, I'll put the title (or part of the post) in English so other members know the subject being discussed.

paolov:
hey you're back , there was some time that you weren't greeting as a greeter.....

We do have a section that have local terms , i just could not find that thread. if anyone can find it please update that thread so it comes to the top
I was suffering from Post Bonaire Depression. :D

You can also ask a mod to make that thread a sticky so it will remain on the first page in PPD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom