Language in posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ek dink die forum moet in Engels bly, anders kan die ander mense nie 'n woord verstaan nie...........I think the forum should stay in English. Sure you can sometimes express yourself better in your own language, but that usually only applies when you are swearing at someone. We all know English as a first or second language, and if you don't, this is a good place to learn it!

ShakaZulu:
Ek dink die forum moet in Engels bly, anders kan die ander mense nie 'n woord verstaan nie...........I think the forum should stay in English. Sure you can sometimes express yourself better in your own language, but that usually only applies when you are swearing at someone. We all know English as a first or second language, and if you don't, this is a good place to learn it!

I don't mind use of the native tounge in their respective forums. It does have drawbacks, though, as it makes it difficult for others to glean information from posts. Of course, one could always ask. Now, If I post in a local forum in English, I would appreciate it if the reply is also English. Although I lived in the PI for a long time, I have lost my native tongue.

BTW, what happened to your avatars ShakaZulu. Didn't they used to be pics of veeery beautiful women :D .

midwestdvr

midwestdvr:
I don't mind use of the native tounge in their respective forums. It does have drawbacks, though, as it makes it difficult for others to glean information from posts. Of course, one could always ask. Now, If I post in a local forum in English, I would appreciate it if the reply is also English. Although I lived in the PI for a long time, I have lost my native tongue.

BTW, what happened to your avatars ShakaZulu. Didn't they used to be pics of veeery beautiful women :D .

midwestdvr

I agree, but as someone said before, if I want to travel to a remote location, I want to read that forum and do some research. Avatars, just as we have moderators who sensors the posts, they also do that with the avatars. My panty ava moved them over the edge and they send my to internet hell for a week........hmm.

And I suppose you were kicked out of there for selling snowballs? :D

chip104:
Dr. Bill! welcome to the PPD! We can teach you some nice terms which will make aubrey miles swooning all over you! :wink:

@gfisher: welcome to the PPD!!! Post more often here! And why not comeback sooner??? Nov 12, 2005.... :)

@ El Orans: I feel so cheated...I checked out the European Forum and all I got was english! I skimmed 4 pages back and didn't see a dang thing! Will try again tomorrow. I expect dutch. :)

Je kijkt niet goed. Soms lijkt Nederlands net Engels.

It's all in the accent.

R..

Diver0001:
Je kijkt niet goed. Soms lijkt Nederlands net Engels.

It's all in the accent.

R..

hehehehheheh nice one

Verwelkoom naar onze theads wij verwelkomen u allen naar onze Filippijnse zeeën

gfisher4792:
Then one of my Dad's nieces visited the US in March (first time here), and was amazed at how much open space the US has, land-wise, and seeing snow for the first time.

first of all WELCOME gfisher4792 !!!!!

i have to say to the niece of your dad, she is so ignorant of the philippines. the philippines actually has MORE IDLE LAND than cities. tsk tsk tsk, ignorance of it's populace is really what is hindering the P.I. from progress...

hmmmm there seems to be a lot of helping verbs there.....

FWIW, languages are fun! If someone is talking/writing a language I am not familiar with, I make a point of trying to understand it. Don't believe me? Just ask El Orans! I think he kicked me out of his truck so he could have some peace and quiet! (Actually, a passenger in the other vehicle wanted to change and I obliged). There is NOTHING in the TOS that requires you to only speak english and we aren't about to start writing that into it now.

So, when in Rome... post in a way that makes this place fun for YOU. If that entails tagalog, Dutch or broken Iriquois, then so be it! You can translate for us poor slogs who don't speak the lingo, or keep the joke private. This is YOUR board: you are free to have as much fun as possible!

Back
Top Bottom