Loss of Wireless Computer Communication Signal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought the Suunto Vyper Air and 2 out of 4 the signal failed. I am glad a pressure gauge back up but this is dissapointing

1. RTFM. :rtfm: http://ns.suunto.com/Manuals/Vyper_Air/Userguides/VyperAIR_users_guide_EN.pdf

2. See Page 20 for the issue. Picture of the table attached.

3. Go back to Section 5.7 on the bottom of page 18, and re-pair your computer.

Anyone want to take any bets on how many more times the RTFM :rtfm: needs to be posted? :popcorn:

Attachments

• Suunto Pressure Transmissions.JPG
    Suunto Pressure Transmissions.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 99
I have a Vytec that fails to synch fairly often, but only on one particular boat I dive off of. Something in their electronics interrupts the signal. Splash and dash and it synchs fine.

I've been diving the Suunto Vytec hoseless for a couple years. The only real problem I've seen is if I wander to far from the transmitter with the computer on my arm it will loose the link. So between dives after I switch over, I strap the computer to the top of my tank. Problem solved (as long as I remember to put it on my wrist before I splash).

I just bought the Suunto Vyper Air and 2 out of 4 the signal failed. I am glad a pressure gauge back up but this is dissapointing
I am new on ScubaBoard and joined to see if there are any others experiencing the same problems with their Uwatec Luna used with camera strobes. Just about every time I take picture with my Sea Life dual strobe system I lose my PSI read out for varying amount of times. I have spoken to the dealer and was basically told that is just the way it is. I had an instructor in Cayman Brac tell me he knew about the problem. I emailed Scubapro three times and got the answer I expected, nothing so I call the CPSC and filed notice with them. Without getting into all the things I should have done but didn't I had a late reading of 260 PSI and on another dive, you guessed it I ran out of air waiting for the thing to read. Of course I have a back up now but that is not the point. I paid well over $1,400 for this thing and I expect it to work properly and not have to have a cheap back up gauge connected to a hose I was trying to eliminate in the first place. Does anyone have anything to add to this? Any similar problems with other computers?

Mud Guppy you should have came on SB earlier and you would have learned that strobes routinely cause wireless links to fail... It really makes complete sense, the transmitter is just being overpowered by a more powerful signal (the strobe works by releasing a large amount of power at once, which is like a small EMP). I'm not sure I would blame the computer for running out of air... I use an Atom 2.0 and have had the link fail on a spring dive, but never in the ocean. On the spring dive I regained a signal in just a few seconds. After the spring dive I installed a small SPG that I keep tucked away unless I need it. By the way, having a SPG on your rig when using AI computers is good for other reasons too, like checking for needle movement when pre-breathing your reg.

I am new on ScubaBoard and joined to see if there are any others experiencing the same problems with their Uwatec Luna used with camera strobes. Just about every time I take picture with my Sea Life dual strobe system I lose my PSI read out for varying amount of times. I have spoken to the dealer and was basically told that is just the way it is. I had an instructor in Cayman Brac tell me he knew about the problem. I emailed Scubapro three times and got the answer I expected, nothing so I call the CPSC and filed notice with them. Without getting into all the things I should have done but didn't I had a late reading of 260 PSI and on another dive, you guessed it I ran out of air waiting for the thing to read. Of course I have a back up now but that is not the point. I paid well over $1,400 for this thing and I expect it to work properly and not have to have a cheap back up gauge connected to a hose I was trying to eliminate in the first place. Does anyone have anything to add to this? Any similar problems with other computers?
I am sorry about your problem but I am glad of your post because I was thinking of changing my Suunto for the Luna.(adding another $400). I can see now that it would not make a difference. Taking pictures with strobes is a problem. In my case sometime even with the strobe i would not loose connection with the transmitter. So it is hit and miss

I've used an Oceanic VT3 and an Aeris Elite (same manufacturer). Both had solid signals. We recently did a test on the VT3. At about 60 ft. my buddy took the computer and swam away. He got about 15-20 feet before he lost the signal from my transmitter. We were both surprised and impressed.

My Aeris Elite T3 only lost signal once and it was at the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. It's a spring-fed water hole and I have no idea why it kept losing signals there when a few days later, I did some river & lake diving in Texas and it worked just fine as in the California ocean.

My wife and I have a mix of Oceanic models that we use. VT3, VT Pro, Atom 1.0 and Atom 2.0. I dive quite a bit locally more than my wife and when on vacation use a digital still camera with twin strobes. Although I have lost signal on occation I have not noticed this as due to firing of my strobes. When it has happened I've always been able to reestablish sync immediately by raising the wrist I'm wearing the computer on and bringing it closer to the transmitter.
These models recalculate air time remaining on the fly and unless at depth where consumption of gas is at a very high rate the drop of signal isn't critical unless it does not reestablish sync within a reasonable time. (Reasonable depending on that depth and rate of consumption)
My experience with these models has been never more that a few seconds without signal.

It seems as though some other computers do the same thing. But and that is a big but, not as bad as the Luna. Mine does not recover in a matters of seconds it can be minutes as I suspect every time I take a picture the transmitter is affected each time.
So due to that signal loss I never get my 750 PSI or my 500 PSI audible warnings. I guess it is easy just to say that signal loss is normal and we should expect and accept that. Personally it is not acceptable. Would you use a PSI gauge if it only gave you a read periodically? Of course none of us would. So why excuse hose less computers? Why should we accept a product that does not fully work regardless of the brand? It also would have been nice to have some warnings with the Luna owners guide and possibly even the camera manual. This is an expensive computer and I would not recommend anyone to waste their money buying it if you ever plan to take pictures. I am going to put a new face plate on it and will put it up for auction on ebay. What a waste.

It seems as though some other computers do the same thing. But and that is a big but, not as bad as the Luna. Mine does not recover in a matters of seconds it can be minutes as I suspect every time I take a picture the transmitter is affected each time.
So due to that signal loss I never get my 750 PSI or my 500 PSI audible warnings. I guess it is easy just to say that signal loss is normal and we should expect and accept that. Personally it is not acceptable. Would you use a PSI gauge if it only gave you a read periodically? Of course none of us would. So why excuse hose less computers? Why should we accept a product that does not fully work regardless of the brand? It also would have been nice to have some warnings with the Luna owners guide and possibly even the camera manual. This is an expensive computer and I would not recommend anyone to waste their money buying it if you ever plan to take pictures. I am going to put a new face plate on it and will put it up for auction on ebay. What a waste.
I agree with you. For your particular type of diving, i.e. photography using a high-powered strobe, a wireless AI computer is not for you. I also found it curious that while I can find reference to possible interference caused by strobes and scooters in my Oceanic manual, I could find no reference to that in my Galileo Sol manual. Although, while I no it's no consolation, if you don't need air integration, why not just keep the Luna and buy a SPG. The wireless feature may not work, but the computer even without it, has a lot to offer. And you already spent the money on it.

Back
Top Bottom