New AI computer for Daughter question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I think after reading all you guy's comments, I'm going to stick with the Galileo Luna for her. I am familiar with it already and her algorithm will match ours then as well. Thanks for all the great advice tho!! Sounds like I need to wait a little while longer on getting a color screen computer.

Seems like the safest option. With everyone running the same options and code you should be able to sanity check each other's computers.

The luna is the way to go. Every one I known who dove with an icon has had problem with them.

You should be aware that while color screens are wonderful to read in dim light, they have disadvantages topside in the tropics or in bright, shallow diving. In those circumstances emissive displays are never going to be as clear as the plain old LCD on your SOL.

I also disagree with this. I have never seen anything as readable as my Petrel, in the dark or in the bright sunshine. My "plain old LCD" Suunto Vyper isn't even close.

If you can afford it, the Petrel is a great computer for any level recreational diver, especially for older divers (like me) who appreciate readability. Built like a tank, user replaceable and easily available AA battery, and the best customer support I have ever seen anywhere. Unless you absolutely need AI, it's awesome.

I also disagree with this. I have never seen anything as readable as my Petrel, in the dark or in the bright sunshine. My "plain old LCD" Suunto Vyper isn't even close.

If you can afford it, the Petrel is a great computer for any level recreational diver, especially for older divers (like me) who appreciate readability. Built like a tank, user replaceable and easily available AA battery, and the best customer support I have ever seen anywhere. Unless you absolutely need AI, it's awesome.

He wants AI, so AI is what he will get. I do suggest a SPG on a hose as a backup.

Envoyé de mon SGH-I747M en utilisant Tapatalk

As for the Mares Icon, having never dived one I can't really comment except to say, last year I was looking to upgrade and went to the LDS who had two in stock (I wanted one for my wife) He wouldn't even get them out for me to look at as he said they weren't suitable for us (we only do recreational diving - but weekly) and that we would hate them. Bear in mind he had no other products to offer us thus chose to lose a sale rather than sell something he knew was unsuitable. Again I've never dived one but my research has backed up his comments for me at least

Don't know why your LDS (and you, apparently) would "hate" the Icon, particularly since you haven't even seen one let alone dove one. I have one and simply love it. As far as readability, if there is a bright light problem, it's easy to switch to "night mode". Which still gives all the colors in the notifications but is very clear in very bright light. The interface is very intuitive and the information/data is exceptionally understandable. In fact much of the data is shown in numeric and symbolic (including color) formats at the same time.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2015 at 10:07 AM ----------

The luna is the way to go. Every one I known who dove with an icon has had problem with them.

Were they "early adoptors" that have to have the bleeding edge of technology? I've had both the Icon HD (after it had been out quite a while) and now have the Icon Net Ready 4.0 (now 4.1) with the AI transmitter. Never had a problem with either.

I use the Galileo Sol and am quite pleased with it. When the Mares HD Icon first came out with AI I tried it and ended up returning it as it had too many bugs and problems; also heavy as a brick.

The Galileo may be a little large for her, and a 14 year old likely has good vision so a smaller display may be fine for her. I would stay away from Suunto or Liquivision AI as they don't take into account the ascent and their air time can be misleading. Perhaps one of the Oceanics would be good for her.

I have never seen anything as readable as my Petrel, in the dark or in the bright sunshine.

I guess you never dove the Predator....

I also disagree with this. I have never seen anything as readable as my Petrel, in the dark or in the bright sunshine. My "plain old LCD" Suunto Vyper isn't even close. <snip>

It&#8217;s encouraging that several express the same feeling. There are certainly choices, like font style and size and user interface design, that can make readability better, particularly compared to a much smaller or poorly designed LCD. And screen size and resolution, which for the Petrel are both high, have a big impact. But as someone who has worked on color computers for many years, using the same screens and technology as Shearwater (of whom we are big fans), I can say that readability is bright sunlight is one of the more common complaints for all color computers. I was just trying to make the OP aware that for some divers this is an issue.

Any emissive display- on a laptop, iPad, or dive computer- can be overwhelmed by very bright ambient light. It&#8217;s mostly an issue on the surface. Personally I feel that the need to occasionally shade the display with a hand, or change the angle of viewing slightly, is a small price to pay for much better clarity and information in all other circumstances. But not everyone feels this way.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom