New AI computer for Daughter question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s encouraging that several express the same feeling. There are certainly choices, like font style and size and user interface design, that can make readability better, particularly compared to a much smaller or poorly designed LCD. And screen size and resolution, which for the Petrel are both high, have a big impact. But as someone who has worked on color computers for many years, using the same screens and technology as Shearwater (of whom we are big fans), I can say that readability is bright sunlight is one of the more common complaints for all color computers. I was just trying to make the OP aware that for some divers this is an issue.

That's true, and I guess it has to come down to looking with your own eyes. If we can't agree on the color of a dress on Facebook, then we won't be able to agree on the best display! :)

I guess if you were going to have a trade off between readability in bright sunlight and readability underwater for a dive computer, I would pick the latter. For really great sunlight readability, I think that the best is that digital ink stuff they use in Kindles, right? Don't know if that could be used in a dive computer, or if that would require battery draining illumination in any place other than a shallow tropical dive site.

.... Any emissive display- on a laptop, iPad, or dive computer- can be overwhelmed by very bright ambient light. It’s mostly an issue on the surface. Personally I feel that the need to occasionally shade the display with a hand, or change the angle of viewing slightly, is a small price to pay for much better clarity and information in all other circumstances. ...
I completely agree.
We are diving with smartphones and iPads (btw, these days you can't find a larger dive computer than the iPad :D), visibility is extremely good underwater, but at the surface when the sun is shining ... the sun wins.

She's going to hate this but I'd say upgrage yours :) i'm so tempted to go for the Icon HD. Especially since they are going for $1079.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom