New diver having trouble with the back plate wing BCD my instructor sold me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds like a skills issue rather than an equipment issue, but it's difficult to know what the issue is without having seen you dive. As phoenix says, you are best using the kidney dump when underwater. Remember air will migrate to the highest point, so make sure the dump is in the uppermost position. When dumping from the kidney dump, you need to lean slightly to the left (if the dump is on the right) and lean forward, and dump in a controlled manner. When using the corrugated hose, ensure the hose is extended and that the opening on the wing is in the uppermost position.

Although I doubt it is an equipment issue, it would be worthwhile checking the inflator hose. Try pushing the dump button and orally inflating it - if air goes in easily, it must come out.

Everyone in my party has a low opinion of this wing. The dive masters think it is inappropriate for me. I am trying to make it work. All the instructors at the dive shop back home have this wing and love it. This is marring an otherwise wonderful dive vacation.

I would appreciate kind and constructive suggestions!

I am interested in the choice of the two words in bold. I have never used a Dive Rite wing so I cannot comment on any known problems, but if it is a problem affecting that particular wing, why is it inappropriate for you? Surely it would be innapropriate for anyone.

My bet is that the DMs are guilty of having the misinformed opinion that a BP&W is for technical divers, and that new divers should not use them. The BP&W is by far the best choice for any diver. The dumps and inflators work exactly the same as they do on a jacket - the only major difference is in the harness (if you are using a one piece harness). Unfortunately there are still several so called 'professionals' who view them as some sort of witchcraft because they are unfamiliar with them.

Posts like this prove my point from other threads. Simpler is better for beginner divers and BP/W is not for everyone.
Contrary to most SB opinions on the subject.

Posts like this prove my point from other threads. Simpler is better for beginner divers and BP/W is not for everyone.
Contrary to most SB opinions on the subject.

That's true. A jacket BC dump valve never sticks or needs service. Those technical BP/W's are so complex and confusing with their dump valves. Well, yeah, they are the same dump valves that you find on a jacket, but sticking them on a backplate makes it MUCH harder to vent, because they are techy.

:)

I am not sure what your issue is but there should be no reason to ever be vertical to dump air.

Wow. Really? I guess they should be ascending feet first?

Simpler is better for beginner divers... and BP/W is not for everyone.

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm having trouble reconciling those two concepts.

BP-WSimplicity.jpg

It's not clear from the OPs post exactly what his issue is... but what is clear is that "lack of simplicity" of a BP/W rig is not the issue.

Yes, there is no reason that you must be vertical to vent a wing or to ascend or descend despite what you were incorrectly taught in padi 101.

You made a partial quote and then construed what I said out of context. I will stay with exactly what I said.

N

Reactions: gbf

I agree that there should be no problem venting from the corrugated hose even in horizontal trim, in fact it vents more efficiently because of the depth difference between the end of the hose and the wing. If you raise the end of hose you have about a foot gradient from the top of wing, and you can't get that pressure difference with the rear dump valve. It's basic physics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom