New diver having trouble with the back plate wing BCD my instructor sold me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's actually the position recommended by most agencies for the warhammer maneuver.

[video=youtube;FONN-0uoTHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI[/video]

Posts like this prove my point from other threads. Simpler is better for beginner divers and BP/W is not for everyone.
Contrary to most SB opinions on the subject.

I don't think it proves that at all. I'll agree that BP/W is not for everyone, but disagree with your premise that a jacket-style BCD is in any way simpler ... it's just different.

I suspect this boils down to a student who wasn't taught how to properly use the gear that he purchased ... apparently from the same instructor who failed to teach him how to use it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: RJP
Maybe people could stick to helping the OP rather than going off on snarky BP/W vs jacket tangents etc.

To the OP - I think people really need to know the exact model of wing, and a picture of the whole rig couldn't hurt in case the backwards idea is correct.

If "back home" is someplace colder it's quite possible your instructors were using a larger wing than you really want in warm water, because of different exposure protection and maybe different tanks. A wing they all use and like back home might indeed not be appropriate where you are now - the instructors/DM in both places could be right. (WHY do the DMs where you are think it is inappropriate - is it more because they're not used to that type of gear, or because they think it's too big or something?)

There's really nothing wrong with any type of BC for recreational diving as long as it fits you well and works for you. Much as you probably don't want to when you just bought a new BC and carted it along, you might consider renting something there if you can't work this out so you enjoy your vacation diving more. A too large or otherwise troublesome wing will be a nuisance to an experienced diver but they'll manage - when you're new it can be much harder to deal with something like this while you're still learning.

Do try working with the bottom dump. Dumping air from the corrugated hose seems to be emphasized in classes, but in real life I never dump from the hose. I happen to have pull dumps at the top and bottom and use whichever one makes sense at the time.

You must be proud.
Yes I am, Thank You.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2015 at 11:54 AM ----------

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm having trouble reconciling those two concepts.

BP-WSimplicity.jpg

It's not clear from the OPs post exactly what his issue is... but what is clear is that "lack of simplicity" of a BP/W rig is not the issue.

Your premise is incorrect. Give a new diver a jacket (which come assembled and sized) or a BP/W that needs to be assembled, configured, sized, resized. They may even mount the bladder upside down?

There is a reason why compaines make you tube video's on assembing BP/W. Because it's not common knowledge for new divers.

subscribe :D

Yes I am, Thank You.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2015 at 11:54 AM ----------

Your premise is incorrect. Give a new diver a jacket (which come assembled and sized) or a BP/W that needs to be assembled, configured, sized, resized. They may even mount the bladder upside down?

There is a reason why compaines make you tube video's on assembing BP/W. Because it's not common knowledge for new divers.

lol... it's probably fair to say bp/w are simpler but more difficult to set up... however the OP bought it form the instructor, it is my hope that the instructor assisted with the setup... the OP did not mention anything else being weird about it except the fact that she's not getting to vent... sizing your harness has nothing to do with venting... and I really doubt it that the wing would be reversed.. but we await the OP's response

Your premise is incorrect.

If your premise is that the diver doesn't know what the hell they are doing... that's not an equipment simplicity issue.

Umm... that would ALSO be vertical.

Good point.

Yes, there is no reason that you must be vertical to vent a wing or to ascend or descend despite what you were incorrectly taught in padi 101.

You made a partial quote and then construed what I said out of context. I will stay with exactly what I said.

N

I don't know how such an absolute statement such as "there should be no reason to ever be vertical to dump air" can be taken out of context.

Good point.

I don't know how such an absolute statement such as "there should be no reason to ever be vertical to dump air" can be taken out of context.

In a bp/w? Why would you need to be vertical? Is the only way to vent a wing though the inflator?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom