New Diver Needs Equipment Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo once bubbled...
I just assume that for a beginner diver a jacket style would be the best.

You know what happens when you start to just assume things...

Atomic regulator seem to have a very good reputation and breath very well from what I've heard. I personally prefer ScubaPro and could not recommend them enough.

As for the BC, I will also suggest a Backplate and Wing. The BP is a very versitle, sercure and streamlined piece of gear that will last a lifetime and be suitable for any type of diving you may pursue in the future. Do try to test out a BP and wing. I personally will not dive with any thing else.

I certainly appreciate all the advice. From what I can gather, the dive rite tranpac 2 and trek wings seem like a good middle ground for a beginner diver who will be doing his first 50 or so dives in warm climates, with the option to eventually use 2 tanks for tech dives. It affords me the option of several different wing styles for various types of diving. I like the idea of still having something resembling a typical bc. Maybe i'm sounding silly, I don't know. I really do appreciate all the help. thanks.

Good choice, I have dove the TransPac for 5 years now and would not change for anything. Very comfortable once you have it dialed in and it is bullet proof. The trek wings are great for what you plan to use it for. I would probably tell you to go with the wreck wings as you can move up to small doubles if you are so inclined without changing the wings. The Transpac has a "soft" backplate which is very comfortable and stable. The only thing that I would tell you to forgo is DiveRites intergrated weight pockets. They really are not the greatest. Zeagle sells a set of small weight pockets that you can add to your tank straps that will help you to adjust your trim and they are very inexpensive. For comfort I would add the padded back pad that Diverite sells, with this set up they are great.

nikyyo once bubbled...
I certainly appreciate all the advice. From what I can gather, the dive rite tranpac 2 and trek wings seem like a good middle ground for a beginner diver
Has someone been whispering in your ear via PMs? You didn't get the "transpac" advice from this thread. :wink:

Except of course after the fact from Herb...

Sounds like you're looking in the right directions on equipment. If you can try a few different BC's that is the best way to go. I am not a fan of backplate and wings, ONLY because I don't prefer them, there is nothing at all wrong with going that direction. I prefer the ProQD for jacket and the Aqua Lung Patriot for back inflation. Again, these are my choices and are what are comfortable for me.

The Vytec computer can be used as a plain wrist mount and a transmitter added later if you like. Just make sure you get good quality whatever you buy. And regardless of what anyone says, support you local shop if at all possible. It will pay off in the long run.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Has someone been whispering in your ear via PMs? You didn't get the "transpac" advice from this thread. :wink:

Except of course after the fact from Herb...

I wonder who it could be? Geee, let me think....

Who's not here? :D

Nikyyo, I'm not sure where the "good middle ground for a beginner diver" suggestion came from, but I think it would be a mistake -- whatever you buy -- to assume that you need a "starter" BC. I'm biased. My last dive in anything other than a BP/W was my final OW certification dive. At the time, there was not a shop in town where you could see such a rig and consider it. I got lucky and was shown the rig by someone who had one. He had a Transpac 2, also, and he offered me a good deal on it, but he was too honest and nice a guy. He may still have the Transpac 2. If you're interested, I can check for you. The price will be right. If you look at the BP/W as something for "in your future," consider that maybe the future is now. It's not something you have to work up to. It's fine for brand new divers. Like you. FWIW, my diving has been in a Polartec or a 3 mil -- warm water stuff.

Like everything else in this world, it's not everybody's answer. There's a regular poster here, an extremely experienced diver apparently -- way more experienced than me -- whose experience was that he had one of these BP/Wing things on a week trip and never could get it adjusted right. I don't doubt him, but it's one of those things that's just about unfathomable to me, based on my own experience with it from brand new diver forward. Frankly, if it took a week, I'd have liked to have watched. Musta been a little like watching a monkey trying to fornicate with a football. :D The BP/W is a pain to adjust initially, but for most, not that much of a pain.

Please don't misunderstand. I've got nothing against the Transpac 2. If I was going to get something other than a BP/W, that, and a SeaQuest Balance, would be the top things on my list. But I wouldn't choose either based on some idea that it was a "starter" BC for a beginner diver, and I would work up to something else. I'd choose them because I'd decided that's what I preferred and wanted to stick with for a looong time. I'm long winded tonight.

I was gear shopping recently and I spent several months making my decision. I identified several disadvantages to the BP/Wing setup. I hope it helps.

10. They take time to adjust.
9. You can't find them at most LDS'
8. You'll disappoint the guy who tried to sell you a H.U.B.
7. You have to answer questions from vacation divers about your "tech rig."
6. Resort DM's will think you know what you're doing and will assign you babysitting duties.
5. Once the BP is properly adjusted, you can no longer rely upon the tank valve to keep you awake by banging the back of your head.
4. You will have the strange and uncontrollable urge to buy a set of doubles.
3. You'll never be able to look at a BC manufacturer's glossy catalog with the same sort of envy as you used to look at it.
2. Uncle Pug will like you if you get a BP/Wing and may even invite you to go diving with him. This doesn't sound like a bad thing at first, but consider that you will be responsible for toting UP's equipment, providing snacks, buying gas for his boat, carrying the chum in shark-infested waters, and rubbing his feet at the end of the dive.
1. You can't get them in hot pink. Or neon green. Or yellow. If you're counting on your prowess at tastefully combining multi-color gear to impress the beach bunnies, you'll be disappointed. The folks at Extreme Exposure suggested painting jet fins with your chosen color.

-
At least if you go the Transpac II / Wing route you will only have to take a loss on half of your gear (TP II) when you decide to goto a BP and Harness. Seriously, listen to these guys. I have had a Sea Quest Balance, a Transpac II, and now dive a Rec wing on a SS backplate with a DIR harness. I would of saved a lot of money if I would of went straight to a BP and wing. They are much better. Your trim will be better. They are solid and simple. I can't stand how restricting standard BC's are.

KISS, when it comes to BC's, is by far the smart way to go.

I'm in the same boat...unsure what to try and buy. I've been reading everything I could find for the last couple of months regarding equipment choice, especially regarding floatation devices. This thread has provided answers to all of my questions. Well, almost. I have a Halcyon dealer about 20 miles away...not bad for living in Europe. Prices here are significantly higher than back home in the States. Anyone coming to Holland soon? A more serious concern comes from the information given by azAtty, i.e. wings not being offered in neon colors. Is that true!?!?! Reassure me...paisleys are avaliable, right? Right?

Again, I appreciate the time and effort you experienced divers devote to answering our newbie questions.

I'll return to listening to my Led Zepplin albums backwards now.

Phil

lucid once bubbled...
-
At least if you go the Transpac II / Wing route you will only have to take a loss on half of your gear (TP II) when you decide to goto a BP and Harness. Seriously, listen to these guys. I have had a Sea Quest Balance, a Transpac II, and now dive a Rec wing on a SS backplate with a DIR harness. I would of saved a lot of money if I would of went straight to a BP and wing. They are much better. Your trim will be better. They are solid and simple. I can't stand how restricting standard BC's are.

KISS, when it comes to BC's, is by far the smart way to go.

I would have saved more. I have bought alot of dive equipment in my career. There are three divers in my family and then there is the student equipment that we''re changing over.

I remember when I first started my tech training. My instructor (actually the second instructor, the first one wasn't a very good diver) just looked at our gear and shook his head and asked if we had thought of just using a plate. Well, we ditched the rangers for tek packs so we had somewhere to put a can light. The whole thing still worked like crap and we got plates. I then went to using a plate for a single tank as well. Now I will never go back.

I won't even talk about my first set of recreational stuff or my second for that matter. I learned the hard way and it cost me plenty. If I only had my last instructor first and didn't have the first at all.

Back
Top Bottom