New Diver Needs Equipment Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just was thinking of the transpac because I liked the idea of being able to have all of those wing options. Also, I appreciate the concept of trying to keep things minimalist, but I do like the feel of something like a bc around me? Am I nuts? Then again I 'm so new. I only have 6 dives under my belt. I'll keep doing reaearch before I make a decision. Thanks for all the help. At any rate, it will be one or the other. No more jacket talk from me.

You have the same wing options with a back plate. Listen, with a back plate wing setup you have 3 pieces. You have a harness, a backplate, and a wing. There are several different types of harnesses from single continuous webbing hardnesses to Dive Rite deluxe harnesses. There are also different types of back plates. You have Stainless steel, Aluminum, and ABS Plastic. Then you add a wing based on what kind of diving your doing. If your diving single tanks a 20-30 pound wing will be fine. I personally use a 50 pound wing. The nice thing about a BP/Wing setup is that you DONT have to REBUY the entire setup to make a change. If you wanna dive doubles you just get a bigger wing. If you wanna dive a drysuit and want a setup that is heavier so you dont have to wear 30 #'s of weight trade your ABS BP for a Stainless steel one. BP/Wing simply give you options that standard BC's can't. Its not that they are bad its just that your diving will change and you will want a bouyancy device that will change with you without having to spend big bucks.

You said you like the feeling of having a BC wrapped around you. After diving in a harness I feel like I am in a straight jacket when I wear a BC. Having the freedom to move around without being restricted is important. Think of it as a underwater hang glider your hanging under the system instead of having the system wrapped around you. Its more stable that way.

Ok im gonna go now :)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Phil... you can use any color for the harness strap you want.

Reef Scuba has webbing in red, yellow, blue, and black. I suppose for pink or grey you could let the red or black spend some time in some water with some bleach in it....:)

http://www.reefscuba.com/

There are some neighborhoods here locally where a pink harness might sell well......

More likely for me, though, in a year or two I'm gonna hear, "Dad, can I get the straps in pink???"

"Yes, Angel, you can....."

I am relieved to learn I can be stylish while I descend. Bleach, huh? I'm thinking tie-dye here! Now to locate those Avanti Quattros with the four-inch heel...

After reading these posts, I am about sold on the idea of bp/wings as my first bc device. I would like to ask if they (Halcyon and Dive-Rite) are as difficult to set up for first-time use as I gather from other users? Perhaps difficult isn't the right word to use, but I am a newbie and want things to be as simple and straightforward as possible. That's the main reason I plan to wait quite awhile before considering whether to use a computer or not.

Again, thanks for the help.

Phil

Well, Who ever said "computers will rot your brain" must be terminally hypoxic.
They add an extra safety factor, monitor deco/no deco times, moniotr safety stops, bottom time etc.
The new computers are basically "dive assistants"and DO NOT take the place of common sence. You should know the tables as well in the event of a computer failure.
Hmmmm, most computers cost less or about the same as a decent BCD.
TR

As for a BCD. I really like the back style over the jacket. Also weight intergrated system. I dive a Scuba Pro "KnightHawk" with
AIR2 safe second.
I really believe that it all comes down to what your comfortable with and what you can afford.
I was told when I first started diving (and skydiving too) to buy the best you can afford.
Shop around, look at all the gear, features, warrenties etc. Buy what YOU like
TR

OK, that does it, I've agonized over this long enough. I'm going with a BP/Wing over a BCD. Seems like it's much less restrictive, easily adaptable to 2 tanks etc. I'm working on OW dives now but I'd rather dump cash upfront into BP/Wing than a BCD. Looks like I can do it for about the same price as a high end BCD.

Back
Top Bottom