night dive tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to add to some good observations.

I personally like less light than more light.

I also like no light once you have started the dive.

DD

One other thing ...

If penetrating a wreck at night, be sure to mark the entrance (exit) with a glow-stick or such. Mark it on the INSIDE of the entrance!

Seadeuce

Seadeuce:
One other thing ...

If penetrating a wreck at night, be sure to mark the entrance (exit) with a glow-stick or such. Mark it on the INSIDE of the entrance!

Seadeuce

This is a very cool thread.. .lots of concrete info and great tips.
Can someone comment on the different types of critters you see at night, how to spot them, and what their behavior is, if different than during the day?

*cough* can we get a moderator or someone to sticky this as a place for everyone to get/post their night diving info from now on? *cough*

And now that Seadeuce has mentioned wrecks, can we do the same for that topic?
I'm gonna post a new thread asking "what have you learned about wreck diving?"
I hope it's as productive as this one has been.

Thanks guys!

Some additional thoughts or personal observations:
My SAC goes down at night, dont know why, but i am more calm at night than in the day.
If you want to attract attention to something cool, a quick flash back and forth to attract attention, then steady the beam and circle (OK) the thing in question - constant fast flashing will mean an emergency.
I agree with spare lights, turning it into your chest rather than off (it may not spark to come back on) if you want no light, i find it ok to do that on full moons or with phosphoresence (sp?) in the water, but otherwise you might still miss a bunch.
Critters that seem to come out more at night include a variety of fish, crusteceans (better for bug hunting), and invertibrates like octopi.
When going from the shore, be sure to reference the lights on the buildings as they start up - its awful easy to confuse where you are due to current drift however good your compass work is. Some say put down two lights on the shore so you can judge where you are - great when people dont steal them, so use good references.

Now to thread admin in this forum and others. I would love to sticky up a bunch of threads that are informative, but unfortunately if i did that with all those that were helpful you would never see new posts as there would be more stickies than the page could hold. The reference section on the Scubamatrix portal thing has some more info written by knowledgable sources and hopefully one on each of those topics will come up some day. A good reference book (i bought Dennis Graver's "Scuba Diving" and possibly AOW text as well as anything entitled advanced diving practices etc - i bought Jespersons) give most of these basic tips, but you can learn a few extras or what seems to work from your fellow divers as well.

Use a good light. I only have dived clear, warm water. My first night dives were fun but the big breakthru was getting a good, bright light. The four, C cell battery lights look bright on land but under water only supply a narrow beam. The Hartenberger I got lit up the coral wall like a stadium light. For me that was better.

I concur with Simbrooks about the compass work.. be sure to take a good bearing before going down... I just got back from a dive trip to an area that I have dove many many times and thought I knew it like the back of my hand so I didn't bother taking a compass bearing... it's basically down to 15 feet, go straight out over the wall, down to 50 and make a left... etc. Well, after kicking for about ten minutes I realized I was totally lost and I couldn't imagine where we were since it was only about 2 minutes to the drop... so I surfaced. It turns out that the current kept pushing us in the inlet and we had been going around the mooring in a circles at 15 feet for 10-15 minutes. Duh...

Anyhow - once we got our bearing and started in the right direction we got where we were going (the wall) fast but we had used a bunch of air and it limited our dive time at depth greatly.

Don't bring huge dive lights... at night all sorts or worms and things come up out of the sand and an area that had high visibility before can loose a lot of vis... a huge light simply bounces off the worms and plankton and such, the end result being that you don't see that much more than with a medium or small light.

Seadeuce:
One other thing ...

Seadeuce

Frankly, an overhead envrironment at night is not a good combination.

Has anyone tried a light with a red filter on it? I use one to inspect my reef tank at night. When you shine a red light on worms they dont go running back into the rocks. Copeopods continue swarming over the rocks instead of running away, and I know the fish appreciate not being rudely awoken with a bright white light in their face (they dont have eyelids after all...) If you dive where there are stony corals, the corals will look completely different at night with their polyps extended, instead of a brown stick, it will be fuzzy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom