night dive tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just upgraded to a new light. bought the UK HID light. I also upgraded my back up light as well. Last year diving in Puerto Vallarta I could have used a bit more light, saw my buddies with their HID lights and how they worked so much better. That HID gives off a blue light and really works nice. Can't wait to use it.

I like the idea of glow sticks although if Vis is bad you'll still be lost, but you'll have a cool glow stick on ya. :)

fairbanksdiver:
Anyone ever try these? The 8" glow bracelets? Thinking you'd attach these around your valve... I imagine the connectors are more then strong enough to keep them attached.

They're cheap... 100 for $10.

http://www.glowuniverse.com/storefr...000000075752052&sfid=47917&c=23693&i=15804493

An idea...

-Brandon.

I think these are the same chemical composition as the regular "cylume" or "glow sticks". Since they have a very finite single-use lifespan, many dive sites do not allow them (like Bonaire) because of the waste they generate.

Buy a nice slow strobe or LED rather than glowsticks, they last many dives (LED's upto 50 hours maybe others only a few hours) and dont cost more than $10-15.

[QUOTE. Don't turn your light off while in the water. Most issues arise from turning it back on.

I always take time with my lights off on a night dive. I use a 2 handlights and a headlight. I'll alternate between them, sometimes with them all off. Diving off other people's lights is beautiful and eerie. If you have well maintained lights (more than one) you should have few worries of malfunction. I have never had a problem in over 30 years of diving. On some night dives, I'll spend up to half my time with all lights off.

zboss:
Don't bring huge dive lights... at night all sorts or worms and things come up out of the sand and an area that had high visibility before can loose a lot of vis... a huge light simply bounces off the worms and plankton and such, the end result being that you don't see that much more than with a medium or small light.

Hey!! You can feed hard corals those worms. There are "bloodworms" in many places in the Carrib. If you allow many to congregate around your light beam, just shine your light on a star or brain coral surface. The worms will dive onto the coral. The coral polyps will be awake and will really chow on the worms. It is a good way to repay the coral for all the abuse we divers heap on them.

Allison Finch:
Don't turn your light off while in the water. Most issues arise from turning it back on.

I always take time with my lights off on a night dive. I use a 2 handlights and a headlight. I'll alternate between them, sometimes with them all off. Diving off other people's lights is beautiful and eerie. If you have well maintained lights (more than one) you should have few worries of malfunction. I have never had a problem in over 30 years of diving. On some night dives, I'll spend up to half my time with all lights off.
If something happens how do you signal your buddy? Should you want to signal your buddy and your light doesnt come back on that one time what do you do? Its easier just to cup it in your chest/stomach than turn it off and risk it not coming back on.

What lights have a red filter on them?
Or can you just cover your secondary with a red film (and waterproof tape)?

Im thinking I liked seuss's answer, no frills no dire warnings. good solid advise. If you have your skills in place then go have a ball, after hundreds of night dives (they are addictive) I have no more to offer than seuss. You'll learn the rest on your own. Go enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom