$$ no matter... what reg would you buy today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got to go with Jim above-the Apeks is a fantastic reg, but my take on it is that it (the ATX200) is too new and unproven. I'd wait at least a year or so and let someone else be a guinea pig.

My choice would be the TX50 or TX100 for ANY type of diving.

Strick-there might be a reason that we use the Apeks! It's used in the most demanding of diving applications, and comes thru with flying colors. 19000 feet into a cave at 300fsw for 7 1/2 hours, and 8 1/2 hours deco. When the owner of that reg says it's the only one he would use, it carries a lot of weight with me. This guy puts his life on the line with that reg. And his buddies use the same reg.

Strick-there might be a reason that we use the Apeks! It's used in the most demanding of diving applications, and comes thru with flying colors. 19000 feet into a cave at 300fsw for 7 1/2 hours, and 8 1/2 hours deco. When the owner of that reg says it's the only one he would use, it carries a lot of weight with me. This guy puts his life on the line with that reg. And his buddies use the same reg. [/B]

Hehehe, you have a point but others have also said that the Aqua-Lung Titan LX is just like it in performace in everyway, cheaper and lighter. No, I'm not promoting it. :p Just saying there are other regs other than the APEX. No one in my local area uses the APEX, matter of fact some never heard of them. Most here use Aqua-lung, Mares, Dacor and a few other brands I forget right now. I'm not saying I've heard any bad against the APEX, its all been good.

cybordolphin,

I would HIGHLY URGE you to *NOT* purchase a 'titanium' regulator. Historicaly accidents happened with use of titanium. BTW titanium is a class C fire hazard.

Having said that I personaly would opt for the mr-22 non-titanium, non-ruby regulator. Picking mine up this saturday! wohoo!!

Ed

Definately the Apeks.
I'm not familiar with the Oceanic.
I have dived with a Mares Abyss, and I like my Apeks Tx-50 better. My wife has the Tx-100 and loves it.
If (or should I say when) I buy another reg it'll be an Apeks.

Originally posted by cybordolphin
Have heard the Mares causes quite a bit of jaw fatigue...?
I don't personally own a Mares but I considered an Abyss before deciding to get an Apeks TX-50. The Abyss was not at all heavy in my opinion. Looking at them, they sure look heavy but I was pleasantly surprised by how light it was. Not much difference in weight that I could tell comparing it to a TX-50 and it seemed a little bit smaller too.

Hello,

I own both the mr-22 (getting it this sat) and a tx-50. I'll let you know what I find when I get to dive again.

Ed

Lol...

Only been a member for a day... and already love this place. :)

Thanks for the input. It looks like I am somewhat commited to the Mares Abyss... but now think the APEKS would have been a slightly better choice.

The Mares has no adjustment.. :(

My LDS... wants like OUTrageous $$ for their gear. I hate that...
torn between wanting to support the local shop and all... but damn... when I can pick up the goods for 1/3 of what they want....

My LDS wants $299 for mask/snorkel/fin package that I would not pay $30 for. And they PUSH what they have the best lead on...
like ONLY atomic... and BC's made in some ladies garage that used to work for Scubapro.. etc..

I am afraid that the $$ is just too great... and that I will be purchasing via EBAY and places like SCUBASTORE (SPAIN).
The products are the same..... and I can't see spending $3000 plus for stuff I don't really want... as opposed to $1200 for top of the line GREAT gear.

Go ahead .... make me feel guilty. :(

cybordolphin,

With the mares non-adjustments. You don't need to adjust something perfect! :wink:

Ed

Originally posted by cybordolphin
Lol...

Only been a member for a day... and already love this place. :)

Thanks for the input. It looks like I am somewhat commited to the Mares Abyss... but now think the APEKS would have been a slightly better choice.

The Mares has no adjustment.. :(

Gonna have to agree with Blacknet...
you don't need to adjust... perfection! :p
=-)

Back
Top Bottom