$$ no matter... what reg would you buy today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would get (read: will get) the ATX200 but with the DS4 first stage. I would also recommend the adjustable second stage -- I just like them.

Mike

Strick,
You will like your new Abyss. Mares regs aren't as trendy to own as the Apeks, but every bit as good. You'll find the Abyss doesn't need any adjustments. All Mares gear is typically European, plain and functional. You made a good choice. Check out http://www.DiversDirect.com or www.divers-supply.com
Maybe these sites will help:tree:Bob

You might consider a reg from abysmal diving..
www.abysmal.com

Their regs use a modified poseidon 1st stage and a kirby morgan second stage. From the info I was given they were used on John B.'s record setting 1010 foot dive! I own one of these regs and they breath great, better than my Poseidon odin, cyclon , mares,apeks and scubapro regs.. I now use it as my primary reg and have used it many times in the 200ft range, my cyclon is my backup and my scubapro mk20/g250 are used on my travel and deco rigs. I use my mares reg only on simple rec dives so I don't have to reconfig any of my other regs, my USD and beuchat regs are generally loaned out to OW students. On my rebreather apeks regs are used.

Ed, I have an older mr12 mk4, and an mr16 (don't remember which second, since they change their names so often theses days but the regs are all quite similiar), I didn't think the mares abyss was worth the extra money, It didn't perform any better than my 14 year old MK4. I have never had any trouble with that reg (I service them myself) but I've never been deeper than 140 with it, so I can't attest to its deep water performance.
Whatever reg you do chose to purchase.. do yourself a favor get it with a din fitting and purchase a din to yoke adapter(for when you travel), If you get into serious diving DIN is the only way to go..

It's not on your list but I would buy the Atomic B1/T2.

Scott

Hello,

This is what rainreg told me about the top of the line regs on todays market.

poseidon odin
apeks tx-50
mr-22 old style non-ruby non-titanium
zegal flathead 6

cold and ambient
apeks tx-50
zeagle flathead 6
odin

regular dives - beat up throw around.
aqualung/usdivers conshelf 14 - awsome for helium use
mr-12
(same parts for above)
sherwood bruit

A quick search in the archives will find alot of good info about each of these units.

Ed

if they're as good as everyone says they are. I dive Scubapro. I had a Aqualung Titan and didn't see anything special about it.

My Scubapro regs are Mk16's, Mk20's, R380's and one G500.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom