Papua Explorers Dive Resort question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get this North American obsession with aircon - it's a massive energy burden (they run solar and generators) and pollutant, and temps with a fan were perfectly acceptable as is. It's the tropics. It's hot. You get used to it. The minimal discomfort is more than compensated by what you get.

Everyone is different. Some of us can't sleep when it's that hot. I want to overall enjoy my trips and it's easier for me to enjoy my dives and the people enjoy me, when I've had some sleep. :)

I don't get this North American obsession with aircon - it's a massive energy burden (they run solar and generators) and pollutant, and temps with a fan were perfectly acceptable as is. It's the tropics. It's hot. You get used to it. The minimal discomfort is more than compensated by what you get.

Yup. I grew up without aircon, without cell phones (one phone per house), no internet, one car per house (now it's like one car per person), one bathroom per family (now it's one bathroom per person) and black and white TV.

Now I can't live without any of those -- except the TV. I can live without that.

Well of course I could. But I won't. I can rightly be criticized for being selfish and contributing to the collapse of the environment in many ways. Just being honest about my limitations.

- Bill

Yes, I'm a wimp when it comes to sleeping at night with AC in the tropical area.

I have a colleague transferred from Canada to Texas. He had a truck without AC. I guess it's common to have a car without AC up there, where Summer weather is not too hot & has low humidity. After going through his 1st Summer here, when temperature hit 100F (38C, above body temperature), coming to work sweating, he got rid of his truck & bought a car with AC.

Cultural and personal preferences I guess - for what it's worth, temps in Raja in April were perfectly lovely at night, never above 80 degrees or so. But I don't mind sleeping in heat, as long as the air moves a little. Aircon during the day in a metal box on wheels is a slightly different kettle of fish than in a palm and bamboo pondok that keeps water out but allows the breeze through the walls, and couldn't be air conditioned properly even with ample power ;-)

my problem in indo was the humidity. no problem if it rained during the day or evening, but a whole different story if it hadn't rained for a day or two. even with a breeze or a fan, i was still sweating bullets all night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom