POLL: Do you regularly carry a emergency signaling device ?

Do you regularly carry an emergency signaling device ?

• No, or only in certain situations

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • Yes, only a safety sausage

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • Yes, a strobe or battery operated signaling device

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes, a safety sausage and a battery operated signaling device

Votes: 33 33.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Safety Sausage
Dive Alert
Mirror
Whistle
Always a light, even on daylight dives

Has anyone tried to use a whistle, they aren't worth S%*T.

You must be using the wrong whistle. When I carry a whistle, it's a Fox 40. They have no moving parts and are used by referees and coaches around the world.

Classic | Fox 40 International

I also have a Dive Alert which I use when diving off of a boat. It is certainly louder than a Fox 40, but you obviously need air in your tank for it to work. A small classic Fox 40 is a great back up to have. As a whistle it works and works well.

You must be using the wrong whistle. When I carry a whistle, it's a Fox 40. They have no moving parts and are used by referees and coaches around the world.

Classic | Fox 40 International

I also have a Dive Alert which I use when diving off of a boat. It is certainly louder than a Fox 40, but you obviously need air in your tank for it to work. A small classic Fox 40 is a great back up to have. As a whistle it works and works well.

The issue is, over the noise of a boat engine and or sea noise they are only audible over a very short distance. Like I said before, better than nothing but if one really wants the best chance of being heard a DiveAlert horn or similar is what one needs. I carry both.

Lights should be added to the list for us cave divers.

I would suggest your light is covered by the "battery operated signaling device" option.

Unless you have one of those special non-battery operated lights :D

Do you regularly carry an emergency signaling device such as a safety sausage, mirror, strobe ?

At least two lights on every dive.
6' Halcyon surface marker on every dive.
Strobe on every night dive.

I should get back in the habit of bringing my DiveAlert on every dive.

Do you regularly carry an emergency signaling device such as a safety sausage, mirror, strobe ?

Safety sausage/dSMB in DS thigh pocket.
Backup light on shoulder strap, and usually main light on left hand.
Whistle zip-tied to my wing inflator hose.
Usually there's someone "counting bubbles" onshore or tending the boat. They have a cell phone and/or a VHF radio.

I have a mirror, but usually don't bring it.
I've contemplated sticking marine reflective tape to my hood and the top of my wing.
No electronic signaling device.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Agree with the comments:

- A whistle is better than nothing. I carry a storm whistle. Much louder than a standard whistle. It's inexpensive, small and easy to carry, so I didn't list it.

- Lights, strobes, epirb, life line. I put them all into the category of battery operated signal device. All bulky and require thought on how best to carry.

I like the feeling of diving streamlined with minimal bulk and drag. Trying to weigh the pluses/minuses. I want to be relatively safe and prepared, but not carrying "everything".

- Lights, strobes, epirb, life line. I put them all into the category of battery operated signal device. All bulky and require thought on how best to carry.
Bulky? A backup light attached to the harness with inner tubing and a boltsnap to the chest D-ring? :confused:

eclipse30MC-lift_0023.jpg

You and I apparently have quite different definitions of "bulky". I have my backup light attached to my harness all the time. Don't even notice it.

Bulky? A backup light attached to the harness with inner tubing and a boltsnap to the chest D-ring? :confused:

eclipse30MC-lift_0023.jpg

You and I apparently have quite different definitions of "bulky". I have my backup light attached to my harness all the time. Don't even notice it.

Agreed, carrying a light in this manner minimizes bulk. It is my preferred way too.

I dive warm water, soft plate, 1 piece harness, 17 lb wing. No wetsuit, no additional weight needed. Diving with a light, safety sausage, mirror, is noticeable to me. It's not bad, but noticeable. It's kind of hard to describe the difference when diving with just the minimum. Best word I can think of is "freeing"

[vimeo]72577747[/vimeo]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom