Practical Questions for The Experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll:
The Ambassador Club thing was ok - the free breakfast, water and fruit basket were kind of nice. I can't remember any other significant perks.
The two biggies are:
Free room upgrade
Free nights stay for joining (worth the price right there)

Christi:
Hope that helps!

It does thanks! I actually just called too and requested the room Jeff mentioned.

Very Cool!
Thanks for all the info everyone!

Cozoholic:
Ok..$5.00 per tank, per diver - Ive also read somewhere $20.00 for the captain - maybe w/ Dive Paradise...BUT when we dove w/ you Mago did ALMOST as much as Javier did (getting gear ready, etc...) The same couldnt apply when comparing BlueXT (smaller boats) with Dive Paradise (or larger boats)...Opinion?

We tipped VERY well (I think) - but it was VERY deserved.

Mago is a very hard worker and does more than most captains I have seen or worked with. On the larger boats like Dive Paradise, they also have "mates" so I honestly don't know how they split them up...or even how other crews split their tips. My crew splits everything, unless of course the customer specifies otherwise and gives them the tips individually...or gives them to me and says X amount is for Mago and X amount is for the DM.

CALI68:
So the one you're talking about is ground level? Cool!

The reef front were like $100 more a night or so. Where are those?

Ground level and no one above you. If you get beachfront in the South wing there are rooms above you.

I think the reef rooms would be kinda around the corner from the Beachfront. They are REALLY nice looking but obviously more expensive. Beach right there, water 25 feet from your door. But no beach access to the water, only ladders and iron shore. Once again, also a farther walk from the real beach, restaurant/bar and the lobby.

My 2 pesos (take it or leave it) is to get a "Beachfront" room in the North wing. Then ask for a tour of a reef room. If you can afford it and don't mind the extra walk the view alone will be worth it. You may even get lucky and get one that's pretty close to everything.

Orrrr, Lundysd told me about room 1105 which is in the tower, ground floor has a patio, great view and is cheaper... 2 double beds though - no King Size.

Link & Pic from Patio

Jeez, I need to get a life... or go on Vacation!

CALI68:
It does thanks! I actually just called too and requested the room Jeff mentioned.
Very Cool!
Thanks for all the info everyone!
Awesome... now try to move about 3-4 more rooms towards the water. Really! I'm not kidding!

Christi:
Mago is a very hard worker and does more than most captains I have seen or worked with. On the larger boats like Dive Paradise, they also have "mates" so I honestly don't know how they split them up...or even how other crews split their tips. My crew splits everything, unless of course the customer specifies otherwise and gives them the tips individually...or gives them to me and says X amount is for Mago and X amount is for the DM.

So would it be $5.00 per tank for DM - what's the standard for a captain that provides more personalized service....

Cozoholic:
So would it be $5.00 per tank for DM - what's the standard for a captain that provides more personalized service....

Well, I guess there really isn't a "standard" for that. I guess the best way to explain it is like a tip out situation.

If you've ever worked as a waiter/waitress/etc. you "tip out" at the end of the night to your support staff. Waiters/waitresses tip out the bartender, bus boy, and sometimes even the kitchen. Bartenders tip out the barback/busboy and sometimes the kitchen. In this situation, whatever you give to the DM (assuming you hand your tips to the DM) he tips out the captain and the rest of the crew as applicable. In my crew's case, they consider themselves equals and therefore split whatever is given to either of them equally...except in cases as mentioned above where the customer gives them tips individually and indicates that. IMO, Captain's don't get enough credit. The divemaster is the one showing you a good time on the boat and underwater, but the captain is essential to the mix as well. Especially when it is a team that works together everyday and knows each others work habits, etc.

About a year or so ago, Raul (my previous right arm DM/Instructor extraordinaire who has moved to NYC) rolled off the boat and forgot his reel and buoy. Of course he didn't realize it until well into the dive. No worries, Mago noticed he had forgotten it right after he descended...timed the dive, and lowered it down to him about 40 minutes into the dive with line from the boat so he would be able to deploy it when needed. He literally lowered it down right in front of Raul's face :)

He's done the same type of thing when I've been working with a student. I left my slate on the boat, he knows I use it with students. While kneeled in the sand doing open water skills, he lowered my slate down to me. I don't know any other captains that are that intuitive and on top of things :) He's awesome :)

We'll be there the same dates as y'all - staying at Village TanKah (next to Casa Del Mar and across the street from Ernesto's) We hang at the No Name Bar most afternoons after diving - stop by and we'll treat ya to a beer - Jeff with the shaved head and Carla. I'm kinda hard to miss! Happy diving!
http://www.seahorse.home.texas.net

diverjeff:
We'll be there the same dates as y'all - staying at Village TanKah (next to Casa Del Mar and across the street from Ernesto's) We hang at the No Name Bar most afternoons after diving - stop by and we'll treat ya to a beer - Jeff with the shaved head and Carla. I'm kinda hard to miss! Happy diving!
http://www.seahorse.home.texas.net

Cool! Will do.

Christi:
Well, I guess there really isn't a "standard" for that. I guess the best way to explain it is like a tip out situation.

If you've ever worked as a waiter/waitress/etc. you "tip out" at the end of the night to your support staff. Waiters/waitresses tip out the bartender, bus boy, and sometimes even the kitchen. Bartenders tip out the barback/busboy and sometimes the kitchen. In this situation, whatever you give to the DM (assuming you hand your tips to the DM) he tips out the captain and the rest of the crew as applicable. In my crew's case, they consider themselves equals and therefore split whatever is given to either of them equally...except in cases as mentioned above where the customer gives them tips individually and indicates that. IMO, Captain's don't get enough credit. The divemaster is the one showing you a good time on the boat and underwater, but the captain is essential to the mix as well. Especially when it is a team that works together everyday and knows each others work habits, etc.

About a year or so ago, Raul (my previous right arm DM/Instructor extraordinaire who has moved to NYC) rolled off the boat and forgot his reel and buoy. Of course he didn't realize it until well into the dive. No worries, Mago noticed he had forgotten it right after he descended...timed the dive, and lowered it down to him about 40 minutes into the dive with line from the boat so he would be able to deploy it when needed. He literally lowered it down right in front of Raul's face :)

He's done the same type of thing when I've been working with a student. I left my slate on the boat, he knows I use it with students. While kneeled in the sand doing open water skills, he lowered my slate down to me. I don't know any other captains that are that intuitive and on top of things :) He's awesome :)

Wow !! I loved Mago when we were there !

$5.00 per tank just doesnt seem like enough for both DM/Captain to split....

For instance - while we were there - assuming that Mago & Javier werent doing morning and night dives regularly (going by the 'standard tipping') I think we dove ~ 4 days - 2 tanks and 1 day 3 = $110 FOR 5 DAYS - SPLIT BETWEEN 2 PPL..That just doesnt seem like enough !! How do they live? Of course I have no real concept of how expensive anything (housing, cost of living, etc) but it seems to me as if they should be making more....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom