Regs on ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have bought a couple of "new" old stock regs off ebay and have not been disappointed yet. Know the market and stick to your price, another one or two of the same thing will be listing soon. Make sure you know the rebuild price and add that in with the total to make sure it is worth your time. I have seen some great deals during the winter months when no one is looking to buy dive gear.

I wanted several sets of Conshelf XIV's after doing my research. I got 3 sets off Ebay in one auction. I found it was a good deal, but I also saw the more "modern" regs going for too much in general to be worth it if you factored in the cost of a re-build. You can really save a bunch on Ebay if you want to buy multiple sets at once. Patience is the key on Ebay, know what the item is worth to you, what they usually go for and don't bid above either.

Just a thought: On another thread someone wrote about stolen gear and someone else said check ebay.

I just don't like the idea of purchasing possible hot gear. But if you know them, I guess it's a safe bet, right?

I bought an Ocaenic CDX4 w/ guages and octo for a reasonable price off Ebay; The guy was a diver that could no longer get in the water due to a new job. The regs were like new and have since been on 30+ dives and have worked flawlessly.

Make sureto correspond with the seller, If you get a bad impression call it off.

if you are looking for a regular regulator i just post two on ebay!!!

there are in very good condition!!!
i am seling them because well i just upgrade my sister and my girlfriend regulator for some that perform better in cold water regulator

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...20012844122&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...20012844114&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

there are both the same!!!!

i can tell you that they are 3 years old and have about 60-70 dives each!!!

Buying used regulators off Ebay is like buying a used car ... you never know what you're getting until you start using it. Keep in mind you will have additional costs of inspection and repair if the regulator is not new. I would rather buy new gear from a large internet dive shop like LeisurePro, ScubaToys, JoeDiver or Scuba.com and pay a few more $'s over a used Ebay bargin and get some kind of warranty that the stuff will work without problems or additional costs.

For less than a decent used regulator + a possible rebuild, you can get Oceanic Alpha 7 or Alpha 8. These have had high marks in magazine reviews. These are basic, but not short on quality. Alpha 7 can be found on closeout from some of the above mentioned suppliers. We have found them to work just as well as the reviewers have said. These pass the Navy Spec. at 198 feet, too. Shop and save!

scubapro50:
Buying used regulators off Ebay is like buying a used car ... you never know what you're getting until you start using it. Keep in mind you will have additional costs of inspection and repair if the regulator is not new. I would rather buy new gear from a large internet dive shop like LeisurePro, ScubaToys, JoeDiver or Scuba.com and pay a few more $'s over a used Ebay bargin and get some kind of warranty that the stuff will work without problems or additional costs.
Ahh, but if the whole point is a rig you want to rebuild yourself, it takes on a whole new light. I chose the Conshelf XIV precisely because I could get parts, a manual, and anything else I needed. The rebuild price was $25 for the 1stage kit. I have a 2nd stage kit, but I've never had to open it. I just occasionaly flip the lp seat and adjust 'em.

Beware of buying regs on eBay. I have known several people that have purchased regs on eBay and saved a few bucks, only to find out that the reg could no longer be serviced.... discontinued parts, etc.

Your reg is your life-support underwater. Don't take a chance on buying junk that someone may have serviced in their garage. I had one reg for service where the guy made his own o-rings from hoses and other items.

Instead, save your money and buy a new reg with a warranty. Even the lower end, less expensive regs are built with the same basic technology and will serve you better than an old reg that who knows where it's been or came from. Technology has come a long ways and if you buy a good name brand, you are ahead of the game....

Do yourself a favor....rent your equipment from a reputable dive shop until you can afford to buy a good reg.

You can find some really good deals on ebay. My secondary reg and one of my deco regs came from there. But... you need to be able to do your homework and be comfortable with evaluating, and possibly rectifying, what you receive. There are some good books on regulator servicing, some good sources of tools, but it can all add up.
The mark up at the LDS is large, but a lot comes with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom