Regs on ebay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found new regulators for my wife and I for a great deal on eBay about a year and a half ago. You can get great deals on eBay if, as mentioned several times already, you do your homework and don't get caught up in the "I gotta have this one" bidding war. A better deal may be there tommorrow. As Scubapro50 said some of the Larger internet dive houses have some great deals and most stand behind their sales. LeisurePro has some great deals on regulators in the clearance and sale inventory right now.

The age and brand of the used regulator determines if it's a steal or not. Too ofter a "newie" to the sport buys what he thinks is a great deal only to find out the cost to repair it excedes it's value. If you can't get the parts and do the work yourself then it may really cost you. Dacor regulators are a prime example. Anything built before 2000 Dacor is not supporting with parts or service. Some dive shops will continue to service them using used or generic parts but it's getting harder and harder to find service for them. Many shops won't even try to service them period. Dacor even offered a program to "trade in" the old regulators to get them off the market. Other names you should avoid are Voit, Swimaster, Sportsways, White Stag, Nemrod and Seamless because these companies are out of business and there are no new replacement parts available. I recently purchased a brand new Dacor Sport regulator from one of the large internet shops for $133. I gave it as a graduation gift and the student who received it will get many years of good service out of it. Remember some brands are really expensive to service if you don't have a warranty. I know of a diver who purchased a Scubapro MK5 of ebay for $75 and when he took it down to his local Scubapro shop found it needed $150 worth of work. That $225 for a 20 year old regulator and every year he will have to pay for both parts and labor when serviced ...... he had been better off buying a new (non Scubapro) regulator from one of the discount internet merchants ..... piece of mind about the quality and a few more dollars left in his pocket.

scubapro50:
Other names you should avoid are Voit, Swimaster, Sportsways, White Stag, Nemrod and Seamless because these companies are out of business and there are no new replacement parts available.
If you added Healthways and Aqua Lung to that list, you just basically listed out the specific names I look for on ebay :)
My current project is improving the breathability of a single stage(yeah, you read that right) Healthways double hose with the addition of a venturi plate. I guess priorities differ here. I find it positively fun to strip down a reg, clean it up, and rebuild it. I've got a Conshelf XIV that needs a rebuild after that, then it's on to a Sportsways set(unless, of course, fate intervenes and I pick up a new double hose to rebuild first). Hell, I even started metal casting(along with a small metal shop in the garage) so that I can fabricate new parts from raw brass and aluminum.

What it all boils down to is desire and ability. If you're a new diver(or mechanically disinclined), stick with an LDS or Scubatoys for your stuff. If you have different priorities or abilities, the old standards like Conshelfs are perfectly servicable. If you're crazy, you might try some of the stuff I do.

Note: Kids, don't try fabricating scuba parts at home. Only insane people do that. And when you disregard this advice, and die, have the good grace to not have family suing me because you got a crazy idea from my posts.

I don't buy from ebay "No guarantee"

A good place to look for used inexpensive is your LDS !
Many sell off the older rental regs at the end of the season.
I`ve gotten 2 that way, and I`m very happy with the deal, and I know that they are good!

i know at least one lds that will let me jump in there pool and actually try a reg if i want to, you wont get that kind of service on ebay!

r&wc:
i know at least one lds that will let me jump in there pool and actually try a reg if i want to, you wont get that kind of service on ebay!
....... IF YOU BUY A REG OFF EBAY then you may have already jumped into the 'DEEP END' without knowing it .... hope you can keep your head above water ......

I have purchased all my regs off ebay. So far it's a set of doubles (DIN), single set (Yoke)and pony bottle all of them Apeks. They have all checked out perfectly and I saved at least half the retail price. I'd recommend it, but know what you what and have a set price in mind when bidding.

i didnt mean a reg that i bring in, i meant one in the store that i was considering for purchase

Back
Top Bottom