Seeking Aurora Res Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the replies. What is the max depth of the reservoir? What's the max depth between Scuba Beach and the plane?

Any advice for getting from Scuba Beach to the plane using a compass or other landmarks in the low viz?
Below is my map of all the guidelines in Aurora Res (that I have found/laid) as of September 13th 2020.

I hope this helps you find your way around.

View attachment 612162
View attachment 612164
Here is a map of the guide lines that another user posed.

Here is a map of the guide lines that another user posed.
Thanks. I saw this map earlier but not anything about depths. Any info is appreciated.

Plane etc. is about 35 ft depth. If you pass 40 ft, you've missed things and should turn around. The lake itself goes deeper beyond the designated scuba area buoys.

Are you allowed to go beyond the buoys with a dive flag?

I am assuming not and can not find any information about it.

Dove Aurora Reservoir yesterday. UWP has numerous buoys floating over the plane and navigation course.

Water temperatures: at the surface 78ºF, at 30' 68ºF, and at 50' 59ºF.

Visibility was at most 6'. The majority of the time it was 3', worsening near the plane and nav course. As you head to the western portion of the dive area and deeper the visibility seems to improve dramatically, albeit to only about 6'.

Recovered someone's lift bag that was found near the plane and disposed of in the trash.

Saw hundreds of crayfish, maybe a thousand? They are everywhere! Also saw one fish. Geocache was still attached in the cockpit of the plane and looked to be in good condition.

--

@Dan G , max depth of Aurora Reservoir is about 115' per this chart. The majority of the scuba area is 20'-30' in my experience.

Thanks for all the replies. Went on Aug 20. Temp was in the mid-high 70s and viz went from about 4-5 feet to 1-2 feet rather fast as the day progressed. The water level was quite low and it was a good 30-40 feet from the end of the walkway to the water. Had to surface swim fairly far to be able to descend in 10 feet of water. Bumped into the plane once, but by then viz had deteriorated so much we could barely see it. Overall, a fun day diving somewhere new and being able to dive within driving distance from home.

Glad to hear you had fun. Hopefully Ill get out there a few more times this season. Still have not found the plane.

Check out chatfield as well, bit warmer, I think clarity is better and certainly feels cleaner.

Yeah I dove the gravel ponds in June then Aurora a few weeks after and the vis was terrible at both. I do like Chatfield as its easier to get your gear in the water, but with a max depth of 18' a bit limited. I need to explore Aurora a bit more so I know where it gets deeper and play around in the Nav course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom