So, I have to ask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl:
Plus I hate going to new places all the time. Some places use cheap stuff and it shows!

I know what you mean. I try to go to the new places with the nice fat cushy tushy massage chairs. I can now say all my colors in Vietnamese too!

trucker girl:
I would say Natadork but that might be counterproductive.

Nah..Natadork doesn't sound as sexy as Dorktasha. Dorktasha sounds like I could almost suck some blood from someone's neck.

Just a head's up. A lot of 'discount' nail salons use acrylic with MMA in it which is as close to being banned by the FDA as it can get. It is banned here for use in Canada in nail preparations but we have a different government. Most of the state boards in the US have regulations against the use of this acrylic product for nails, but a lot of places continue to use it and just pay the fines. They disguise the product in what looks like a legitimate container (O-P-I seems to be the product of choice) and tell you that's what they use if you ask.

I could quote chapter and verse on it all day, believe me when I say this is as hot a topic in the nail tech world as dork vs DIR here. It is a very toxic chemical and it's most outstanding quality is it's toughness. It is used in dental acrylic, which is actually where the world of artificial nails came from (a dentist). O-P-I was originally known as Orthodontum Products Inc - don't quote me on the exact spelling of that - point is it was an orthodontics company before it became the well-known nail products company it is today.

You may say, well if it's safe for my teeth, it's safe for my fingernails. Think about how hard this material has to be in order to stay in your teeth for decades. It's very hardness is the problem when used on fingernails. When you break or bend one of these nails, you can tear the nail right out of the nailbed. Also, you get a tooth filled once, hopefully it doesn't fall out, and you're done with it. You are exposed once to the product. When you continuously get your nails filled by this product, you are being exposed over and over, maybe every 2-3 weeks for the lifetime of the nails.

As a result, people develop allergies to this stuff, and it has been linked to liver damage as well.

The alternative is EMA which has been developed specifically for the artificial nail industry. It is not as tough. If you break a nail, it is designed to break off, not take the nail with it. It is about 5x more expensive than MMA which is why you see the price difference in the discount salons.

Most people simply do not know the difference. Before I trained as a nail tech, I had no idea either. There are other practices that discount places like to do as well that are detrimental to the health of your nails. In fact there is quite a history on the entire 'discount nail' salon.

Anyway, PM me if you want links to 'official' documents on this. I have to go do some house painting now.

scratchmyback:
and....shhhhhh...we dive with snorkels.

I only dive with one snorkel. Can I still be a Dork Diver? :D

irishsquid:

Oh yes, absolutely! Just make sure you have a spare :D

scratchmyback:
When you break or bend one of these nails, you can tear the nail right out of the nailbed.

I don't even want to think about that!

scratchmyback:
As a result, people develop allergies to this stuff, and it has been linked to liver damage as well.

OH MY GOD!

irishsquid:

I SO have something to say here but I won't say it because I don't want to risk a banning! I've been deleted but never banned! I'm not going there!

Anyway- yes, you can still be a Dork Diver if you dive with only one snorkel. Now, if you dove with only one dive knife, that might be a different story! :rofl3:

scratchmyback:
Just a head's up.

Thanks. I know it probably isn't good. They fill me some potion called 'solar'. God knows what that is. But, I figure I don't smoke cigarettes, never have, don't drink, and I'm not on the pill. So~~ there ya have it. :)

Nails are my only vice. :winky:

trucker girl:
I SO have something to say here but I won't say it because I don't want to risk a banning! I've been deleted but never banned! I'm not going there!

Anyway- yes, you can still be a Dork Diver if you dive with only one snorkel. Now, if you dove with only one dive knife, that might be a different story! :rofl3:

I have many knives and then some backups (shears, carpet cutter). I'll risk it, no guts no glory as I say, and play mind reader here: Technically; I do dive with more than 1 snorkel.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom