Tell the truth ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my o/w class, we did devote about 10 minutes to various signaling devices. But as we have covered on varius discussions regarding training, how much of the different topics are stressed/covered are dependant upon what the instructors hot buttons are.

And I agree that more navigation would be a good idea. And do it during classroom versus waiting until training dive #3 or 4.

I got lucky and did a fun dive at a local scuba park with an instructor who gave us a crash refresher course. Really helped since we were swimming 50-100 yards in 6-10; vis. And that dive really helped me understand how to find and swim along a bearing.

In a nutshell, practice something on every dive. And someday you will be good at almost everything! :)

I'm a new diver (13 dives so far). Before I certified, I was given a sausage by a friend. The day I completed my OW cert, we had to use the sausage because the swell carried us a fair way from the boat. I had only taken it with me because it was a new 'toy' - didn't expect to use it because the conditions hadn't seemed to warrant it at first. Now it's always attached to my BCD. Two nights ago did my first night dive and my buddy and I lost the rest of the group so we surfaced and by using her whistle we found each other (there was too much reflection from fishing boat lights to be able to clearly see their torches when they surfaced). I'm going to buy a whistle now - can they be any old whistle (with pea not cork inside)? Plus I like the idea of tank bangers, although some people have said just buy the knife which is multi-purpose! What is a mini hammerhead? Sounds like fun.

Hey all,

The mini hammerhead comes in many different colors and has a clip to fasten it to your BC. It looks like a small dumbell and is made of plastic. It has a rattle inside of it, which sounds more like metal on metal, even under water. Because you can just hold it in your hand and shake it for a few seconds, you can more easily get your buddies attention. They say it is somewhat directional, but it seems to get everyone's attention in the area. No reaching behind you with a sharp instrument where you might cut a hose and can't really see what you are trying to bang. Best thing I ever got for my family, as now my son can easily get my attention.

Keralucu,

Probably the best whistle you can find is one that does not have a ball at all -- they have sort of a funny shape, but since many whistles have balls that will be affected by sea water, better to have one that works without a ball.

Good thanks I have not gotten lost in the sea yet but anyway the sausage will be the one of my next purchases when I will get to the dive shop. I have seen this sausage used once in Carribeans and what to say - we all could see the guy from far away.
Normunds

Thanks Pete and Large Diver.

Will keep a look out for the mini hammerhead - I love percussion instruments and it sounds like it could double up for one of those!

Re: the whistle... one without anything inside? but how does that work underwater? Confused... :-s

Hey Keralucu & all...

Don't get the word "waterproof" confused with "works under water". I have had some good laughs watching people trying out them thar waterproof whistles in an aqueous environment. They always reminded me of Urkle as they asked... "Did you hear that???" It's sorta like sendin' the new guy at the automotive shop out for a muffler bearing, or asking a new DM for a hundred feet of shore line. I even saw one gut trying to light his "waterproof" lighter under a running faucet... too funny!

BTW, I think someone mentioned the Storm Whistle... that's what I (and yes, the rest of the family) use... They work real well @ 1 atmosphere or less (but not too much less), and they are quite loud. I am sure there are some eaqually load whistles out there, but I chose the Storm.

As for whether or not signal devices were covered in our PADI OW class... they were required. No whistle, no water! They were on all of the class BCs, and they were also required on personal BCs. The suasage, the diver's bouy, the strobe, and some of the other devices were also covered as to when they should be carried, and how they should be used.

I do. I'm a newbie but after learning from some of the regs here, I've started to carry a safety sausage. I'm looking for one of those high decible whistles that are corrosion proof.

I have been diving for 13 years and just finally picked up a safety sausage for a trip to cozumel last year. Have always had a whistle, though it never really worked that well. And, I do not own a dive alert. I do most of my diving in fresh water lakes that I know like the back of my hand and it really hasn't been that much of a consideration. Foolish perhaps, but never a necessity in my eyes.

I recently bought a storm that is attatched at all times and I carry the safety kit from DAN (sausage, cylum stick, and mirror) whenever I dive.

Cheers! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom