The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Scoobydoo, do you see a need for more test type questions "worked out", or is there a good source that I just don't know about?

Oly50, I might have misunderstood an earlier point, but I thought I understood the new update as prohibiting this practice and that each student had to possess the manuals now? Maybe I misunderstood that?
each student or family has a copy of text book..dvd/video not ,need books for library and to go back at later date for any info they may need.

Whats everybody complaining about...
You think diving is bad, try learning to fly. My private pilots license cost about $5,000.00. Add to that the headset you need and plane rental at $125.00 an hour. I've logged 100 plus hours in a Cessna. Do the math. Hell...By the time I get to Dive Master with PADI I still won't have spent a quarter of that.

Folks, you need to be real with yourself about the cost of a hobby. If you can't afford it or it takes a big chunk out of the budget, It is what it is, accept it or get a cheaper hobby. The owner of the LDS has to eat. No one HAS to go beyond Open Water.

This is the only hobby/past time i've ever seen that has so many people complaining about the cost. I never heard my fellow pilot students constantly complain about how much the lessons cost, fellow hunters, fisherman, photographers, nowhere else do so many people cry about price. whats up with that?

Cathy,
When things are produced in large numbers the cost per unit goes way down.
Scuba is only enjoyed by a very small portion of the population, making all sales of everything involved very costly. People tend to compare the cost of this activity to other sports that have a much larger base and don't even require paid for training and certification. Some of the numbers stated for cost we're way off and opinion, but I won't go there. That is where the W & C comment was directed, but you only saw it as even, I saw it different.

And BTW, I dive with my 2 sons so everytime I sign up for a class or buy equipment I have to purchase 3 of everything.

dlndavid:
Cathy,
When things are produced in large numbers the cost per unit goes way down.
Scuba is only enjoyed by a very small portion of the population, making all sales of everything involved very costly. People tend to compare the cost of this activity to other sports that have a much larger base and don't even require paid for training and certification. Some of the numbers stated for cost we're way off and opinion, but I won't go there. That is where the W & C comment was directed, but you only saw it as even, I saw it different.

David, If the books were better I would not complain about them. Look, there is a pretty audible group out there saying this. I just was making the point that it is perhaps a legitimate topic, at least as time worthy as hurful gossip. So far, it has been an interesting informative thread (for me). If people really are not interested in the topic, I completely understand. Why would I want to hurt PADI? I have quite a little stack of cards. I don't think the answer to a consumer observation is to be told you are too cheap. I respect everyone's opinion here and like hearing what people think. For example...your comment about producing supplies for a small market...well that is something I haven't considered. So, the discussion is constructive in my opinion.

catherine96821:
I had two semesters of college physics also. I guess one of my points is that I think they could teach the math portion in a better way. And I think the books are overpriced considering the content.

I'm trying to understand the point of this thread. Is it about price or book content or just a good old rag on PADI type thread?

redhatmama:
I'm trying to understand the point of this thread. Is it about price or book content or just a good old rag on PADI type thread?

I thought I told you. It (for me) is about what we think PADI excels at and where they (we) could improve the instruction. Is that a tough one? If you really think its pointless find something you like to discuss and go do it. Ragging is not my thing.

redhat - the original thread was about perceived gouging on the Advanced manual by PADI. Turns out that it is the store/instructor, not PADI. The thread then wandered into at least two other distinct (and I believe potentially useful) conversations.

Right now it seems a bit of anti PADI, but that's pretty common - and even acceptable.

We can, and should, discuss PADI or SSI or any other agency here on ScubaBoard. But when we do, it is helpful, IMHO, to do so on things they actually control. It's no good complaing about the newspaper delivery service to the editor.

The price of books to the PADI member is controlled by PADI. The cost of books to the consumer isn't. Course costs are set by the instructor/dive centre, not by PADI.

The content of books is PADIs responsibility and a great issue. I would really start another thread as a lot of folks aren't going to wade through these 14 pages and won't be able to contribute!

What and how a course is taught, beyond a very general outline, is not controlled by PADI. PADI provides the standards and the guidelines but it is up the individual instructor to TEACH and not simply read out of a book or otherwise be slack. This is also a good issue - and has been discussed multiple times on SB - that I feel really does deserve its own space so it doesn't get lost or bogged down with other things too much.

That's just my take on things...

catherine96821:
I thought I told you. It (for me) is about what we think PADI excels at and where they (we) could improve the instruction. Is that a tough one? If you really think its pointless find something you like to discuss and go do it. Ragging is not my thing.

See my previous post...I think you've got some great discussion material here, but it's getting lost amid everthing else. Go ahead and start a new thread - I think that first line you've just written would be a great start :)

Far enough. Some of the best threads on SB are ones that "evolve" and discuss interrelated concepts. Otherwise, yes, you will have the same threads, over and over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom