The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just e-mailed my friends to get clarification on, I would like to know also. They are very reliable people, so sit tight and I will find out. And no, they do not teach other agencies. So, I hope they will be willing to say what the caller stated..

As far as keeping the books for reference....I have had some excellent classes due to the Instructor but I have never looked up any information in a PADI manual. Personally, I don't think there is much in them at all. Please don't flog me, I just call it like I see it. I don't think the books are a good value for the money, from a content perspective. Honestly, I am trying to think of one single book, I have ever looked at more than once.....maybe the workbook with some math problems in it for the DM exam. Maybe Nitrox, to help someone with it.

I mean come on, the wreck diving book has like three facts in the entire book. And the videos make my mind drift. And I think they need a more reliable way to test math at the higher levels because the exams are "out there" and its important that the math is understood, not just passed on the exam.

There is nobody in the world more qualified to complain about training than someone who was just trained.

Would you rather read a restaurant review from someone who ate there yesterday, or 20 years ago?

Terry

Obsessed?:
Also, maybe if it was every dive instructor with multiple agency licenses or divers with 5000 dives and 20 years experience saying these things, but usually its the newbie diver parroting what they have \"heard\" from some disgruntled person or shop owner or instructor bound to another agency - I think it\'s kind of transparent....

Web Monkey:
Would you rather read a restaurant review from someone who ate there yesterday, or 20 years ago?

Terry

if it was still there after 20 years, probably is a pretty good resteraunt :D

They market very well, no doubt about it.

Scuba_Steve:
Have a link to that?

I think I know who started that rumour/scare tactic.

Hmmm, that's good to know. I'm looking into that. If you have any further info/links, please let us know.

You don't have to keep the knowledge reviews, and the student don't have to do the knowledge review in the manual - But the student MUST have a manual in his posession - Otherwise it is breaching the standards...

E:)

biscuit7:
I'll take the tangent bait... since when does the instructor not need to keep the Knowlege Reviews? I'm pretty sure that in my IDC we discussed why we DO have to keep them, it's the part about ensuring that the student understands the academics.

Rachel

Well, according to the new standards, you need to keep them, or document that they have been done. It is sufficient to document it on the student record - But obviously it helps if you have copies.

That's not "new" standards. If you have specific information where it says that the instructor does not have to retain a copy within the student's SRF, I'd like to see it.

R

Well, yeah, but you get my point. :cool:

stu_in_fl:
if it was still there after 20 years, probably is a pretty good resteraunt :D

On the other hand the NY State Thruway rest areas have been serving terrible food since the road was opened. Of course they have a captive audience and a government contract, so that probably tilts the results a little.

biscuit7:
That's not "new" standards. If you have specific information where it says that the instructor does not have to retain a copy within the student's SRF, I'd like to see it.

R

4. Knowledge Reviews for each Knowledge Development section signed by the student.
(You must either retain the student diver’s completed and signed Knowledge Reviews or document in the student’s training record that you have reviewed the student’s completed Knowledge Reviews. The Student Record File may be used for this purpose.)

Page 4, 4th Quarter Training Bulletin 2005

I trust that satisfies you.

Back
Top Bottom