The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
There is nobody in the world more qualified to complain about training than someone who was just trained.

Would you rather read a restaurant review from someone who ate there yesterday, or 20 years ago?

Terry

But what is their frame of reference or experience on which to base the [senseless] complaining? Your analogy makes no sense at all, because what you really are stating to be completely comparing apples to apples is that the "review of the restaurant" would be made by someone that never ate food in their life before...

The student diver is diving for the first time, so, on what are they basing their complaints?

Obsessed?:
But what is their frame of reference or experience on which to base the [senseless] complaining? Your analogy makes no sense at all, because what you really are stating to be completely comparing apples to apples is that the "review of the restaurant" would be made by someone that never ate food in their life before...

The student diver is diving for the first time, so, on what are they basing their complaints?

Absolutely true.
The majority of new divers think their instructor is some sort of god because he introduced them to this amazing new world and knows all the answers.

espenskogen:
That is not quite true - The reason you have to buy the manual, is because a lot of dive centres around the world used 'library' copies to conduct the courses - These may have had their knowledge reviews filled out already, and it does not look professional to be handed a old rag of a book to conduct your course.

I received my OW certification in a resort area that supplied these ratty-looking library copies. They did a lot of other shortcuts, too. As a totally new diver, I did not, of course, know they were short cuts. I assumed that I was getting standard instruction. Today, I know there were many standards violations--but I did not know better then.

A few months later, I set out for my first dive trip following my certification. Before I went, I reviewed the copious notes I had taken, but I sure wished I had had the book to review as well.

Yikes!!

I stand corrected. I didn't even see that in the training bulletin, but the worst part is I didn't realize it was optional for OW students before.

R

biscuit7:
Yikes!!

I stand corrected. I didn't even see that in the training bulletin, but the worst part is I didn't realize it was optional for OW students before.

R

You could do it orally before - Now it has to be in writing, unless the student has a documented learning disability.

Of course, most prudent instructors foresaw that it could come in useful to have hard evidence of the knowledge reviews in the case of an accident, incident or QA, so certainly at the divecentre I've been working, we've photocopied the knowledge reviews for years.

E:)

I stand by what I said about the logo. I had an e-mail and a phone conversation from the operation effected. They (two dues paying PADI Instr/DM's) have removed the logo even though they still offer the services of said agency.They say PADI requires "another set of dues" if you have a website selling PADI instruction unless the name is "Sally Jones Diving", even if there is no "facility".

Hope that is insightful in some small way. LIke I said, Beyond NAUI O/w I have PADI certs but have never made one dollar diving. I don't really have a vested interest one way or another.

That sounds way off to me. Every time I've interacted with PADI they've stressed to me how they prefer to support the independents out there. If you could link the website, or PM it to me...

Rachel

Um, not sure if this has been entirely cleared up or not (have scanned through all replies and not entirely sure), but in PADI's Training Bulletin - Fourth Quarter 2005 - PADI stated that "the resort/centre/instructor conducting a course must ensure that student divers have, in their possession, a personal set of materials (as defined in the list of required materials for the course), for study and use during the course and for reference afterwards".

I agree that having a manual is a good reference material after you've completed your course, but I'm considering doing my IDC this year or next year and now find that I'll have to shell out around AUS$1,155.35 just to buy all the manuals and other materials defined by PADI as required, and that's not including the course fees. Gulp! :11:

This presents me with something of a problem, as when I'm working as a DM in Thailand I don't earn anything like enough to be able to buy all these items over the next year. Besides, if I wanted to look something up, I've always referred to the well-stocked library at the dive op I'm working for.

I can also see that it might present something of a problem for students that generally train on the island I work on - most of them are backpackers on a budget. Some of them stay for a while and go right from OW through to DM. Not only do I doubt they will have enough money for all the course materials now required, I don't think any of them will relish adding the books to their weighty rucksacks! I can foresee a possible drop in business for PADI in this respect....

Rachel, maybe you could just call PADI and ask them what the requirements are to put a PADI logo on your website if you are a PADI instructor? Thats what I would do if I had a PADI business. Me, I have decided not to say another word about GUE, DIR. I am starting to see things from another angle.

Straight from PADI. Controversey and case closed, use is allowed. However, you can't use the word "PADI" in the URL, so maybe that's where they went wrong?

PADI Worldwide Corp. (a California corporation, hereinafter "PADI") has the right and authority to use and sublicense various marks owned by International PADI, Inc. (a California corporation). These marks include, but are not limited to, Professional Association of Diving Instructors, PADI, certain logotypes -including a diver placed on a world, a mark for The Undersea Journal, as well as other marks, including Specialty and Certification marks. PADI relies upon the foregoing marks to indicate the source of origin of its services, certifications and products, so that the public will be protected; and its instructors, Dive Centers, Resort Dive Operators, Dive Boat Operators, students and others associated with PADI will receive the highest-quality services and products pertaining to its business.

To provide its members with the ability to advertise, promote and indicate the source of origin of the PADI services, certifications and products they provide, PADI Members are hereby granted a license to use the forgoing marks on promotional materials only, specifically printed, film or video formats, and software, fixed media, such as floppy disks, hard drives or CD-ROM, or any interactive digital or broadcast media or methods, including, but not limited to, internet or World Wide Web Sites.

The license shall not extend to the provision of other printed materials, such as manuals, books, instructions, clothing or products or any other materials whether or not they are manufactured, sold, distributed or licensed to others by PADI.

This license extended by PADI shall only be with respect to (1.) Printed advertising and promotional materials, (newspaper and periodical advertisements, telephone-directory advertising, handbills and signs); (2.) Film and video format promotional materials such as television commercials, slide shows or promotional videos; and (3.) Software, fixed media, such as floppy disks, hard drives or CD-ROM, or any interactive digital or broadcast media or methods, including, but not limited to, internet or World Wide Web Sites; none of which shall include use on any item or product intended for resale. The word "PADI" (padi) may not be used in internet domain names.

The foregoing license for advertising and promotional use shall in all respects follow the exact format, character, general appearance, type style, background and proportions of the marks originating from PADI. In no case shall the marks be combined with other marks, symbols, language or be in a format and appearance other than that actually used by PADI. The full trademark must be used; truncated or partial use of a mark is not authorized.

This license shall be personal to the individual member and shall be nontransferable, nondivisible and not capable of being sublicensed in any manner through any party.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, PADI shall have the sole right to disapprove of any promotional materials prepared and shall be the sole judge of the criteria of whether it meets the standard of this license agreement. To this end, any suggestions or requests by authorized members of the PADI staff as to the usage of the marks shall be complied with as soon as possible to avoid mistakes, deceptions, dilution or other problems that would be detrimental to the foregoing marks.

Regardless of the foregoing license, PADI shall have the right to institute and bring any suit or any other action necessary to protect its marks as to any person, firm or corporation now or prospectively using the marks or any similar marks, derivations, analogs, trade names, fanciful scripts or designs.

This license shall extend for the term of membership, which shall be terminated forthwith upon termination of the member’s relationship with PADI.

Back
Top Bottom