The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espenskogen:
The pic card don't come in the manual - The instructors have to order them separately from padi.

E:)

espenskogen: I have seen some crew paks for sale here to PADI pros that do include the PIC card. Obviously, students can't buy them :11doh: Given that the PIC card alone costs over THB 1,000 (Thai Baht), maybe these price comparisons lose their validity.

RonFrank:
Let's face it, it IS about the money in a lot of ways. This is not just a PADI thing, but an LDS thing as well.

If they were interested in saving students some bucks, the LDS would have a library of PADI materials, photocopies of the quizes for the students to complete, and they could show the DVD in the class. The students could check out the materials maybe for a small fee, complete the couse work, and then return the materials back to the LDS.

Instead they required every student to buy the Stupid DVD (and IMO most are worthless), and they want every student to purchase the books. From an enviornmental standpoint, this is NOT a good approach. If the LDS had a set of 10-20 copies of each course, than those copies would be used by thousands of students.

After you are done with the materials do you ever really do much with them? I have referenced my OW book from time to time, but I do NOT need these materials, and they are NOT cheap.

I suppose if one is going to become an instructor, a copy of the course materials is not a bad idea. Then again, if you had access to the LDS *library* why would one need a personal copy.

I'm not really bashing PADI, however don't fool yourself, it IS about the $$$. :wink:

I don't know what your LDS is telling you, but PADI students are not required to own the DVD. They are, however, required to have personal copies (not library copies) of the manuals. There is no rule, though, that they have to show a sales slip proving they bought a manual--they can borrow one (just not from the instructor) or buy a used one.

So I take some people live in a world where it is wrong to make money... Silly. :D

And when I did my AOW in Mexico at a PADI shop, they never gave me the crew pack, they said they would send it to me...right.
They did give my a nice polo shirt though. :D

David, Ron Frank's comments were taken out of the context of the thread. His comments about making money were responding to someone else, I think.

I am going to start a new organization....its called BPWTDWST

BROKE >PEOPLE>WANTING>TO>DIVE>WITH>SUPERIOR>TRAINING.

Course materails not needed.
College Trig (with possible credits)
College Physics
Advanced Nitrox w/ deco
Rescue
All this and you get a free regulator, and bc...the rest you can rent for $0.00 at my totally awsome shop that sells everything for 25% less then leisurepro.com.

Total course cost. I'll pay you to take the course!

I BET SOMEONE WILL STILL FIND SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT

...hmmm, are you teaching it?

When I originally posted this thread it was not about the cost of scube diving or about the sport in general.
It relates to the fact that since you now have to buy the manual from padi , the price has also doubled. I was firstly under the impression that the price increase was from padi , hence my comment that they were holding us to ransom ,but it seams that it is more from our good dive supply shops here in thailand. I did apologies in a previous posting for the mis-understanding. The only problem I now have , is that many of the students that are forced to buy the book are Thai's , and cannot read english , so they still get their learning material from the local instructor , but also have to fork out money for a book they cannot use.

NO WAY! Im just the guy who is going to make all the money. This course wont be taught be just one person, but by many. The same guys who do the Navy training, and some Harvard professors. But for the part where it shown how to wear the gear. ie. bc. fins. snorkel? We will have Jessica Alba...<----Pretty hot huh

And for the Thai situation...just be glad the food is amazing. So what I have to pay a bit more to dive....be at ease my good friend their food is better then the McDonalds those fat cows at PADI are gonna be eating later at night.

storm1fishing:
When I originally posted this thread it was not about the cost of scube diving or about the sport in general.
It relates to the fact that since you now have to buy the manual from padi , the price has also doubled. I was firstly under the impression that the price increase was from padi , hence my comment that they were holding us to ransom ,but it seams that it is more from our good dive supply shops here in thailand. I did apologies in a previous posting for the mis-understanding. The only problem I now have , is that many of the students that are forced to buy the book are Thai's , and cannot read english , so they still get their learning material from the local instructor , but also have to fork out money for a book they cannot use.

Some (but not all) PADI materials are available in Thai. At any rate, the standards say that students need to have materials if they are available in a language the student understands. So, if a Thai speaker wants to do, for example, a Nitrox course and there are no materials available in Thai or a language s/he understands, the whole knowledge development can be done orally. So there goes that problem!

Back
Top Bottom