The cost of Padi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did PADI get so big in the first place? I assume they were doing something right. I wonder if they have forgotten what that is?

History is littered with companies that grew to a commanding place in a particular market or industry, then got greedy and/or complacent, lost their place and sunk into oblivion.

Being one of the first in the game, and then systematically making it easier, quicker and cheaper to reign in the numbers......

She's all about the money from selling cards and books as previously mentioned, cause it sure ain't about teaching meaningful dive skills.

At least this is what I have heard.........not that I neccessarily agree.

Funny you mention history, I thought right away about GM.

hmmmm, I wonder.

Incase you missed it earlier, time to shake your money-maker.........

RonFrank:
This PADI business model seems somewhat backwards. and a bit monopolistic. Let's see:

They expect the LDS/instructors to pay annual dues to keep the certifications current.

The LDS must carry their product line of materials.

PADI requires EACH diver to purchase their own set of materials (this one really bothers me from an organization who promotes environmentalism right to the point it might impact their bottom line. So typical selfish big business).

The LDS does all the marketing, sales, and instruction in the local market without much or any help from PADI.

The DM's and Instructors are paid slave wages, and are potentially liable for anything that goes wrong.

PADI has very little liability, and very little interaction with the public other than to produce and mail certifications.

Basically the LDS does all the local marketing, handles the sales, hires the instructors/DM's, provides the facilities. PADI sits back and harasses the business owner who is doing all the promoting IF PADI does not get their IRRA dues.

Most business would kill to have every retailer promoting their products using Logo's and web presence. PADI seems to be in the position to demand payment for something that is a direct benifit for them.

dlndavid:
what point, you're not supposed to be a profitable business, or big?

If you look at the PADI mission page, and their goals, they would appear to be a company that exists in the name of diving, for diving, in support of education, and the environment.

From PADI:

Customer Satisfaction and Retention - Keeping customers satisfied and earning the continued loyalty of our members and divers is essential to our success. We will achieve total customer satisfaction by understanding what our customers want and delivering it flawlessly.

The Environment - In all that we do, we will strive to achieve our commitment to preserving the aquatic environment for future growth.

First explain to me how forcing EVERY newly certified diver into purchasing new materials is in support of the environment, aquatic, or otherwise.

Hey, I'm not saying that I think PADI is evil, or bad at business. I do find it increasingly difficult to buy into their "we are all about total customer satisfaction" when they ignore customers as Cristi has stated, and want to charge $750 for the *priviledge* of using a logo on a webpage? I find it hard to swollow their conservation mission when they are flooding the market with books and pretty cardboard boxes that will end up in landfills within a decade.

If they were all that into conservation they would be looking at ways of reducing paper use, and published materials in favor of online media, or establishing libraries at the LDS. So R they doing those things?

Has anyone bought a tank of fuel lately, or perhaps some groceries? Everyone is trying
to maximize the profit line. It seems if you have only doubled your prices you arn'
t keeping up with the Jonses, or Chevrons of todays business world. A house I bought some years ago recently sold for over 700,000, I paid 90 for it. My wife was certified through Padi last year and the bill was under 300 wet and done. My kids were certified at the same shop years ago and it was 225 so whos to say who's out of line with prices?
Bill

redhatmama:
Consumer diving shows, magazine ads, brochures in hotels, just to name the first 3 that popped into my head.

I've not see a consumer dive show that is sponsered by PADI. Divers down is not based on their website. Deep sea detectives? Name another Dive show?

Magazine adds promote PADI, and they mostly promote themselves in their OWN magazine (Sports Divers) which is not what I would consider anything other than self serving as they charge for the publication, and they accept other advertisers as well.

I've never seen a Padi Brochure in a hotel. I've seen a LARGE amount of them published by the LDS. Some may even have the PADI logo on them put there by the LDS.

I'm betting PADI's advertising budget is a very small percentage compared to what similar sized companies spend. Ever see PADI do a REAL commercial? Even on channels like the Water Channel?

No, I stand by my point, PADI's largest source of exposure to the public is through the massive amount of LDS's that support them. If every PADI LDS in the world switched to NAUI, PADI would be off the map in a few months.

So PADI needs to play nice with the people that support them, and that is the LDS's, resorts, and instructors that use PADI. PADI even recognizes this in their mission statement, however it seems that they don't always follow through with those lofty words they so proudly proclaim.

RonFrank:
I've not see a consumer dive show that is sponsered by PADI. Divers down is not based on their website. Deep sea detectives? Name another Dive show?

Not TV shows but EVENTS like Dive Inn. They always have a booth. They advertise in Scuba Diving as well. I've seen lots of PADI Discover Diving brochures in hotels.

Big successful companies pay big bucks, it keeps good people on board, helping to keep them successful. Look at Kaiser Permanente, they are a non-profit organization that employs hundreds of thousands of people, many who are paid very well. They still help people too.

Mission Statement updated
Purpose... PADI exists to develop programs that encourage and fulfill the public interest in recreational scuba and snorkel diving worldwide at an affordable price according to Frank
Vision... PADI intends to be the world leader in the educational development of scuba diving professionals and enthusiasts.
Slogan... PADI - The Way the World Learns to Dive at an affordable price.®

Mission... To teach the world to scuba dive at an affordable price.

Values... In all of our relationships, we will demonstrate our steadfast commitment to:
Leadership - Being a world-class leader in every aspect of our business, in the way we design and develop our products, in the training of recreational scuba divers, instructors and retail and resort operators, in the support and service we provide to our professional members (instructors, assistant instructors, divemasters, retail facilities, resorts) in diving safety and education, in aquatic environmental education and preservation, in our management performance in our global marketing of scuba diving adventure and in developing our skills at every level at an affordable price.

Integrity - We honor our commitments, take personal responsibility for our actions and practice the highest ethical standards.

Our People - We value the skills, strengths and perspectives of our internationally diverse membership and employee groups. Our team will foster a participatory workplace that empowers our people to get involved in decision making and develops leadership skills at every level. We will continually encourage cooperative efforts at every level in our company.
Quality - In all that we do, we pride ourselves in performing it correctly and accurately the first time to the highest standards of quality and efficiency. We will strive for continuous quality improvement in all that we do in order to be the world's premier recreational diving training and educational company.

Customer Satisfaction and Retention - Keeping customers satisfied and earning the continued loyalty of our members and divers is essential to our success. We will achieve total customer satisfaction by understanding what our customers want and delivering it flawlessly at an affordable price.

The Environment - In all that we do, we will strive to achieve our commitment to preserving the aquatic environment for future growth.

Underwater Cultural Heritage - We are committed to the protection of underwater cultural heritage for future generations of divers and non-divers alike.

Core Competencies...

Unsurpassed Customer Service and Knowledge
We recognize our strength and competitive advantage is our people performing outstanding customer service, and developing excellent programs and products. We pride ourselves in listening to the needs of our markets and exceeding their expectations at an affordable price.

International Program Integration
We continuously develop and advance the PADI System of diver education into countries and territories of the world with a consistent, standardized and state-of-the-art approach while adapting to diverse cultures, customs, protocols and languages on a local level. Together, our world offices provide the PADI membership with unsurpassed quality in our educational materials, publications and support services, in a uniform, reliable and consistent manner.

Unparalleled Educational Validity
PADI's courses have been independently evaluated and recommended for college credit equivalency by the American Council on Education (ACE). We are proud of the ACE approval as an independent corroboration of the educational validity of our courses. All PADI credentialed divers are entitled to receive this benefit. PADI courses have received similar recognition from other educational institutions internationally. Discriminating dive students should ask why PADI has been the only training organization with this distinction.

Unequaled Diversity in our Professional Membership
With 100,000 professional members operating in 175 countries and territories, PADI Instructors are the most ethnically, culturally and racially diverse group of dive educators in the world. This means that potential dive consumer seeking diver education has a much greater chance of finding a PADI course offered in their country by a person from their own culture and in their own language. We are proud of our professional dive educators and our internationally consistent, diverse and culturally adapted training system at an affordable price.

Quero:
Some (but not all) PADI materials are available in Thai. At any rate, the standards say that students need to have materials if they are available in a language the student understands. So, if a Thai speaker wants to do, for example, a Nitrox course and there are no materials available in Thai or a language s/he understands, the whole knowledge development can be done orally. So there goes that problem!

Agree'd , but you are forgetting the fact that the pink form that goes to padi is in the pack , that the student does not need. Its a catch 22.

Well, I think Ron is frustrating everyone because he happens to be right. Maybe the PF plan was a good one.

This thread got gay? Why dont we start by ripping on Disney World. They want to be environmental, and they want to be for the family, but they charge 80 bucks for a day. 3 days at Disney....or a life time of diving? Membership at a GYM...or knowledge to go diving? 1 pointless college course....or PADI? No joke, diving is pretty cheap for a hobby when it comes to learning it.
Here is a list for you cheapskates to join for fun...(you might spend more then padi in the long run)

Hot dog eating contests
Chess
Painting
Yoga
Gay Bars
Kite Flying
Jello wrestling(very fun by the way)
streaking

Point is, there really isnt anything fun that you can do for cheap...if there was everyone would be doing it...Also it really isnt that expensive. Padi isnt evil. But MICKEY MOUSE IS <whos with me!? KILL THE MOUSE!>

Back
Top Bottom