Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tires off of a Willies M151 Jeep from the invasion of Okinawa 1945 during WWII. We found the tires and muffler off of Gala Beach 700 meters south of Bolo PT (Cape Zampa)/Yomitan/Okinawa/Okinawa Prefecture/Japan

M151 wasn't around for WWII. It was a Vietnam era thing and isn't technically a Jeep at all. The M151 is called a MUTT (mil-speak for Military Utility Tactical Truck) and was mfg'd by Ford.

Willys held the contract for Jeep and subbed out to Ford for production reasons. The tires you found would be either be a Willys "MB" or a Ford "GPA". Either one would be cool, I'm a Jeep-NUT! Unless it was removed first, you should be able to find the engine and transmission. Possibly even the axles. They should still be out there if the muffler hasn't rusted away yet. Wish I could dive with you; I'd LOVE to find stuff like you're finding.

Cool find on the mine and some great video! I second what SalmonBoy said, though. You had to go and get it blown up. Too funny :rofl3:

Last edited:
I hear both the USA and Europe are in a Deep Freeze. In Okinawa this afternoon it was about 80F. I invite you to come to Okinawa and find cool WWII stuff.

Oh I lost my storkel on my last night dive so you can find that too. Okinawa was the site of the largest amphibious landing in the Pacific only second to Normandy, France. Check out the landing sites below. You can use www.hotdive.com to find shore dives that correspond to the WWII landing sites. You might even find a 1000lb Sea Mine like my dive buddy and I discovered.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/zen-divers/269353-okinawa-wwii-landing-sites.html

Last edited:
I was showing my new gear to a friend in a hotel pool in Iowa. I was at the bottom with him and in the grate we found a pair of earings diamond 1/2 carat each.

I've lost as much as I've found.... So far:

Lost: Camera lense cap
First Snorkel (DM caught it as it went sailing down the wall, so all was well)

Found: Seatbelt cutter - style knife
golfballs

Katamuki and I found the 1000 Sea Mine back in November. Katamuki and Okinawa divng ledgend Taki dove the site and Taki reported the mine to Japanese EOD. This is the local NHK TV news release featuring Taki explaining about the Unexploded Ordance UXO on Okinawa, Japan.

YouTube - UXO Show Okinawa

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought it was something that you don't see everyday.

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 574
I found a brand new snow shovel under a marina last month. We had experienced record snowfalls and you could not find a store with shovels available. I made sure my wife put it to good use. :D.

mch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom